Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose the options that would turn you off to your date (read scenarios)
Paying for groceries for a romantic dinner with food stamps 33 64.71%
Learning your date lives with his parents. 19 37.25%
Learning in conversation that your date is a devout Catholic 26 50.98%
Running out of gas. 12 23.53%
None 2 3.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:11 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times

Advertisements

Scenarios:

1. You are grocery shopping for a romantic dinner. You go through the check-out line and are ready to pay when your date pulls out an EBT card and casually swipes it through the card reader, paying for your meal with food stamps.

2. You are invited to your date's apartment. You think he lives alone; however, when you arrive, you are surprised to see both of their parents sitting on the couch watching TV. They greet you. You later learn your date lives with his parents.

3. You are on your third date and somehow religion is brought up. You learn your date is a devout Catholic, attends Mass every Sunday and occasionally goes to weekday Mass, and the talk eventually turns to your date's opposition to pre-marital sex.

4. Your date is driving you home from a long drive when the car begins to loaf. He says, "Oops, we ran out of gas! Sorry!". They have their brother run them up fuel, which takes an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 10:25 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,648,778 times
Honestly the only thing about the Catholic belief that bothers me is the fact they they believe that married couples can only have sex of they want to procreate. I disagree. I don't think all married couples have to procreate.

The food stamps thing would really bug me!

It depends why he's at home.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:30 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,831,879 times
The food stamps would be a definite turn off...as would the fact that he lived with his parents.

The Catholic thing wouldn't bother me at all...unless he was really serious about the no sex thing prior to marriage. If that were the case he'd be history as I'm a firm believer in trying it before buying it.

The gas in the car thing...wouldn't bug me at all...afterall...**** happens.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:32 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,646 times
Honestly this question..is a set up..I understand these are hypothetical questions...

My answer would be I would never put myself in this situation..the reason why you get to know somebody before going on a date and set yourself up for an embarrassing moment..

Old 06-17-2011, 06:14 AM

346 posts, read 507,479 times
Talking I must be too old...lol

I could work with #3 but all the others are a deal breaker, mind you I just turned 40 and haven't been dating in over 15 years, but trying to remember what my mindset USED to be, all the other choices would have turned me off back in the day!

I consider myself a go-getter and food stamps, living with parents, and running out of gas all point towards someone who isn't nearly as motivated as I am or was back in my dating years.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:04 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,091,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Scenarios:

1. You are grocery shopping for a romantic dinner. You go through the check-out line and are ready to pay when your date pulls out an EBT card and casually swipes it through the card reader, paying for your meal with food stamps.

2. You are invited to your date's apartment. You think he lives alone; however, when you arrive, you are surprised to see both of their parents sitting on the couch watching TV. They greet you. You later learn your date lives with his parents.

3. You are on your third date and somehow religion is brought up. You learn your date is a devout Catholic, attends Mass every Sunday and occasionally goes to weekday Mass, and the talk eventually turns to your date's opposition to pre-marital sex.

4. Your date is driving you home from a long drive when the car begins to loaf. He says, "Oops, we ran out of gas! Sorry!". They have their brother run them up fuel, which takes an hour.

I would have to say #3...what would we have in commom..I'm a Jehovah Witness...so no....

Old 06-17-2011, 07:17 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,107,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
Honestly the only thing about the Catholic belief that bothers me is the fact they they believe that married couples can only have sex of they want to procreate.
I wouldn't get too bothered about that, because that's not the Catholic belief that I'm familiar with.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:22 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,572,054 times
Please don't tell me it's another of those "could women be that superficial and flaky" type of threads!

Old 06-17-2011, 07:36 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Being a devout Catholic. It doesn't mesh with my beliefs. The others can be OK, depending on the circumstance.

Food stamps: How would I know? Did he tell me, or did we go grocery shopping together? I feel that being on public assistance is not shameful in itself as a temporary solution, but it is a private matter. Cook me dinner, but don't tell me that you had to use food stamps to do it.

Lives with parents: Is this temporary or long-term? Is he saving money, paying off debt, or helping a ill or elderly parent? Those can be good things. If he lives at home because Mom does his laundry and he has a good thing going, then I'll pass.

Running out of gas: It happens. If it's a one-time thing and the guy seems otherwise responsible, it's not that big a deal. Sure, it's embarrassing for him, but there are worse things. With gas prices what they are, maybe he was hoping to make it to a station where he could save several dollars.

Edited: Argh, I should have read the scenarios, not just the poll. None of those scenarios are OK with me, except perhaps the gas thing, because they would put me in an awkward position. Running out of gas could just be an accident resulting from poor planning, but come on ... AAA is like $50 a year. A responsible grown up would probably have options besides waiting in the dark with a dead car for an hour.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:47 AM

32 posts, read 37,275 times
Ok, the food stamps thing? Let me clue you ALL in that yeah, sure, sometimes a man with EBT is a lazy bum, but SOMETIMES< like in MY case, We're disabled and the government knows, that without us being able to work, we need assistance with daily living. I will admit, i am rather offended by some of you who are turned off that someone is getting help. At least he aint mooching off family and friends or letting his health or situation worsen. Do you have any idea how hard it IS to ask for help? Or to even admit you cant do something so you cant provide for yourself??? I consider myself proud i got the help i need, and trust me, it aint easy for me. Do i find myself feeling inadequate, or down about my situation? You betcha! If i could change it and be financially stable would I? In a friggen heartbeat. But my disability makes doing things i have experience doing, like oh, say 4 and a half YEARS of contracting and handyman experience, which would easily pay the bills. Am i a bum because my body aint perfect? I still try to do my best at everything i do, and am fighting with debt people so i can afford to get back into college and make a life of myself outside of government assistance. SO, am I a turn off now? Am I suddenly undesireable you shallow jerks? This message is in no way aimed at all of you out there, but only those who are heartless and belief that foodstamps=lazy bum not worth a ****....

Brought to you by the public message for those who struggle but are misunderstood. I got your back!

Sorry for the rant, i just think so many people out there look down on some of us who have these things, and it isn't right. I am very passionate about my fellow man or woman, and always been a huge supporter of having an open mind and trying to understand where people are coming from. I guess I just felt it was my duty to point out that it really is based on individual situations, like Julie said. Thank you. Although seeing the edited comment it makes me wonder why the EBT situation all of a sudden aint ok with you? Is it just because your with him when he does it? Aint that kind of a double standard to your previous commentary? No offense, of course.

Last edited by Just Some Guy Here; 06-17-2011 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: Forgot to add this last comment...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships