Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 01:29 PM

869 posts, read 972,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Knight 2009 wrote:

I would feel very betrayed and hurt. And I would absolutely not continue anything further at all with them.
Absolutely! That's the normal human reaction to being deceived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 01:32 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
Or maybe you could learn about the degrading words you use and treat other people, even if they are different from you, with consideration. Unlike what others here think, the truth is a person is a person regardless of gender identity. That's what Jesus would have done, by the way. It is easy to say one follows the golden rule but actually following takes effort and thoughtfulness.
poletop: Trannies have historically not been tolerated very well, if I remember correctly, and for good reason, IMO -- feel free to make of that what you will

Just b/c someone feels they have a license to engage in blatant socially-deviant behavior, and want sympathy and understanding for it at the same time, doesn't make it inherently right or justifiable.

There are just some times, when we as a society have to say "No -- that behavior is simply not gonna be tolerated."

Old 06-18-2011, 02:30 PM

454 posts, read 596,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
Such a thing shouldn't be left for the other person to find out. It should be voluntarily revealed since not revealing it deprives the other person of his right to make an informed decision.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Are we talking automatic or 5-speed tranny? And does it need to be rebuilt?
Lol

Old 06-18-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
I would feel very betrayed and hurt. And I would absolutely not continue anything further at all with them.
Interesting

Old 06-18-2011, 02:37 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,471,479 times
Is this a roundabout way of telling us that you are, miami?

Old 06-18-2011, 02:38 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Oh boo hoo, no matter what you say or how you phrase it, someone somewhere is going to get offended. I'm pretty sure "Have a nice day!" will **** someone off.

I for one believe that a transgendered person is going to be smart enough to figure out a little thing called "context" and realize that in that instance, no one was actually attempting to be degrading to them.

If you don't think that transgendered people are smart enough to do that, well then, that's quite degrading...

PS: this thread should probably be stickied and never allowed to come down
What I said is true. Many transgender people find the word tranny offensive the way the word *** is offensive or **** is. OP might not have known that and that's ok because ignorance can be solved with knowledge but the attitude of not caring about using slurs directly at other people based on what they are is a problem. There is a difference between being frank and being an a-hole. Being frank would be saying Noel Coward was gay, being a jerk would be calling him a ***. Get the difference?

Old 06-18-2011, 02:38 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,649,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
poletop: Trannies have historically not been tolerated very well, if I remember correctly, and for good reason, IMO -- feel free to make of that what you will

Just b/c someone feels they have a license to engage in blatant socially-deviant behavior, and want sympathy and understanding for it at the same time, doesn't make it inherently right or justifiable.

There are just some times, when we as a society have to say "No -- that behavior is simply not gonna be tolerated."
Yeah, poletop. You act like we actually said something hateful towards trannies like "they should die" or "they need to go to hell." now that would be intolerant and hateful. Simply referring to them as trannies is nothing hateful. And as Knight2009 pointed out, our society for the most part simply does not accept transexuals very well. That's not likely going to change either.

But to answer the OP, I'd probably leave, throw up, and scrub myself when I get home!

Old 06-18-2011, 02:49 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
What I said is true.
Truth takes many forms.

Quote:
Many transgender people find the word tranny offensive the way the word *** is offensive or **** is.
And many do not. Where does that leave us?

Quote:
OP might not have known that and that's ok because ignorance can be solved with knowledge but the attitude of not caring about using slurs directly at other people based on what they are is a problem. There is a difference between being frank and being an a-hole. Being frank would be saying Noel Coward was gay, being a jerk would be calling him a ***. Get the difference?
Ah, once again the awesome power of words and their various interpretations!

Personally, I think if you are secure in what you are you won't be offended by what others call you.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:54 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
Yeah, poletop. You act like we actually said something hateful towards trannies like "they should die" or "they need to go to hell." now that would be intolerant and hateful. Simply referring to them as trannies is nothing hateful. And as Knight2009 pointed out, our society for the most part simply does not accept transexuals very well. That's not likely going to change either.

But to answer the OP, I'd probably leave, throw up, and scrub myself when I get home!

Just because you weren't hateful doesn't mean you weren't willfully breaking the Golden Rule, which is hypocritical for someone who constantly brings up her Christian beliefs. That was my point. If you really do not care about using tact or courtesy about transgender people, then fine, just be honest that you are not really following the idea of treating others with respect or well. If a guy referred to women as ******* instead of the word women, I am guessing you might not like that treatment even if the guy was not calling for death to all women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships