Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 12:23 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times

Advertisements

I like to show interest in other people. I'm sort of a "reporter" or ?? I ask a lot of questions and take time to comment on what other people have to say...I enjoy being this way. It's second nature to me...it makes me feel closer to the people in my life and I have a chance to learn more about them and "learn from them" too...But there are times when things can become "one-sided." I do most of the "asking" and "giving" and commenting and I start to feel invisible in my own right. It's all about them and I become sort of a "cheerleader" or ?? This doesn't happen all the time but it happens enough to make me wonder about myself and what I keep creating when I relate to others...Thanks for listening. Does anyone else ever end up feeling this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 12:41 PM

629 posts, read 1,233,787 times
Sounds like you need to go out an do more interesting things with your life. Not everyone shows the same interest in other people's lives the way you do. Make yourself known through your actions. If they don't ask it's their loss. Don't worry too much what others do.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami46 View Post
Sounds like you need to go out an do more interesting things with your life. Not everyone shows the same interest in other people's lives the way you do. Make yourself known through your actions. If they don't ask it's their loss. Don't worry too much what others do.
Thanks! Good response and suggestion. I do need to reclaim my own life and my own interests and goals and dreams again!....Thanks for the "wake-up call!"

Old 06-18-2011, 07:54 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
People love to be with someone who is willing to listen to them...be it good or bad. As long as you are that way, people will come to you, be it for guidance or just a sympathetic ear......nothing wrong with that.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
People love to be with someone who is willing to listen to them...be it good or bad. As long as you are that way, people will come to you, be it for guidance or just a sympathetic ear......nothing wrong with that.
I don't want to stop caring and listening. But I think I need a little more back "for me" and "about me" at times too...I need more of a balance so I don't "disappear" or end up "drained!"

Old 06-18-2011, 09:20 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,759,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
I don't want to stop caring and listening. But I think I need a little more back "for me" and "about me" at times too...I need more of a balance so I don't "disappear" or end up "drained!"
I know what you mean, my friend; same here -- nothing wrong with wanting that

Old 06-19-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
I know what you mean, my friend; same here -- nothing wrong with wanting that
Thanks for understanding!

Old 06-19-2011, 07:22 AM

When we ask someone questions based on what they've said we basically hand the microphone and "floor" over to them. But will they hand it back?...I have a few girlfriends who stop themselves from getting too carried away. They stop and say: "That's enough! I want to hear about you too!" And I do the same thing...But this is not the case with everyone. If someone shows interest in them and asks questions it can make them feel like a "star" or "celebrity" or ???...Maybe they are just not used to it and don't know the "ropes." At some point it's nice to hand the microphone back and show interest in the other person too. So everyone can take turns! ...I remember feeling like I had really grown-up when I realized that my Mom was a person in her own right too. I stopped talking "at" her and started asking her more questions about herself. I didn't view myself as the center of her universe anymore. And I didn't try to "hog" the conversations anymore with non-stop talk about me, me and me!

Old 06-19-2011, 08:28 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Unfortunately saying they "don't know the ropes" is your excusing them for their lack of compassion towards you......you are a rarity...a gem....people that listen and hear...they are the ones that keep our world sane ........

Old 06-19-2011, 09:18 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,834,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
I like to show interest in other people. I'm sort of a "reporter" or ?? I ask a lot of questions and take time to comment on what other people have to say...I enjoy being this way. It's second nature to me...it makes me feel closer to the people in my life and I have a chance to learn more about them and "learn from them" too...But there are times when things can become "one-sided." I do most of the "asking" and "giving" and commenting and I start to feel invisible in my own right. It's all about them and I become sort of a "cheerleader" or ?? This doesn't happen all the time but it happens enough to make me wonder about myself and what I keep creating when I relate to others...Thanks for listening. Does anyone else ever end up feeling this way?
doesn't matter. do whatever you want to do that feels true to yourself. what's the point of this thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships