U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you beleive in abstinence?
Yes 17 28.33%
No 24 40.00%
Not a simple yes or no question 19 31.67%
I dont know..... 0 0%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 08:30 PM

12,941 posts, read 18,524,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I think for the most part you are right though, there are certain species in the animal kingdom that DO mate for life. It can be found in nature.
Conveniently enough, I've never identified myself with those particular species.

Quote:
{ if we likened our habbits more to those of the animal kingdom, we would all be better off LOL }
I really do believe that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 08:34 PM

3,261 posts, read 4,431,682 times
Quote:
I think for the most part you are right though, there are certain species in the animal kingdom that DO mate for life. It can be found in nature.
I just read that even those species that are socially monogamous and mate for life are rarely sexually monogamous.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:38 PM

2,447 posts, read 4,542,011 times
I think it's not natural and a bad idea. I think I told this story once. My cousin's wife was a virgin when they got married. 2 kids and 10 years later, she started wondering what it's like to be with another man since he was the only guy she's been with. That curiosity got worse and worse. It's hard enough finding someone that won't cave to temptation. So adding another element to go against instinct and DNA is just increasing the odds in my opinion. I also wouldn't buy a car without test driving it. Life is short, so I'm not about to add a bunch of unnecessary rules to take away from this journey. We live this life once, so why limit yourself in experiences? Thats like living in 1 town your entire life. No thanks, I plan on making the most of our limited time.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:49 PM

9,415 posts, read 10,985,271 times
Quote:

{ if we likened our habbits more to those of the animal kingdom, we would all be better off LOL }
That is true however they don't wait until they are married.

In nature animals mate when they are physically ready. Humans tend not to do this due to societal pressure and mores.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:46 PM

25,907 posts, read 34,119,453 times
Quote:

Then again, I doubt there are any animals other than humans that are voluntarily abstinent. And there are a lot of animals whose actions I am glad we do not emulate.

To answer the question, abstinence is a personal choice. It is not right for everyone.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:48 PM

13,951 posts, read 9,974,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
I just read that even those species that are socially monogamous and mate for life are rarely sexually monogamous.
Link or source?

Old 06-18-2011, 10:19 PM

11,974 posts, read 13,996,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
Absolutely believe in it. Not just because of my beliefs and preventing unwanted stds and pregnancies, but also on a spiritual and emotional level too. I personally would feel awful and dirty if I slept with someone before my husband. And even if it was my soon-to-be-husband, I still wouldn't do so before the wedding. As some of you know, I associate the white wedding dress with purity. And I want to be able to wear it with a clear conscience. Also, if I did that, there wouldn't be anything to get excited about after the wedding. But this is my own belief.
Will you require a husband as chaste as you?....Sex is not the ALL that you believe it to be! I admire your resolve to stick with what you believe to be right for you.......but at the same time your assumptions that if you've had sex there's nothing exciting left to look forward to tell me that you are very young...and still have a lot of pleasures to discover in your life.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:23 PM

3,261 posts, read 4,431,682 times
Quote:
Link or source?
You can easily look it up, but here:

Wild Sex: Where Monogamy is Rare | LiveScience

Old 06-18-2011, 10:47 PM

2,502 posts, read 2,968,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Will you require a husband as chaste as you?....Sex is not the ALL that you believe it to be! I admire your resolve to stick with what you believe to be right for you.......but at the same time your assumptions that if you've had sex there's nothing exciting left to look forward to tell me that you are very young...and still have a lot of pleasures to discover in your life.
Yes I would prefer that he be chaste as well. As I mentioned in another post, I would want him to pay me the same courtesy I've paid him.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:22 AM

23,690 posts, read 25,695,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
In nature animals mate when they are physically ready. Humans tend not to do this due to societal pressure and mores.
This is true. But the thing is....there's a reason for those mores. If you want to just go with your biological drives and have sex as soon as you're physically ready, your life is likely to be nasty, brutish and short. You won't have many creature comforts. The benefits of civilization (creature comforts) require sexual restraint and some degree of artifice (whether it be waiting to have sex or using birth control or a combination of both).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships