U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you beleive in abstinence?
Yes 17 28.33%
No 24 40.00%
Not a simple yes or no question 19 31.67%
I dont know..... 0 0%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 02:40 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,517,246 times

Advertisements

do I believe that abstinence exists?

yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 02:49 PM

13,496 posts, read 13,949,615 times
the real question for mature people who practice abstinence is are they truly abstinent? seems most do everything else sexually to the point of "satisfaction" this to me is not abstinence it is trying to pretend you don't have sex when you really do

Old 06-19-2011, 06:36 PM

13,951 posts, read 10,294,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwamjn View Post
Are you telling me you don't want men and women to kill each other for the right to mate? What about the joy of drinking brackish water? C'mon brother, where is your sense of primal fun?
People have killed one another for far less

Old 06-19-2011, 06:54 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,691,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Here's my take on this.

The religious mandate on sex before marriage was made at a time when newlyweds were barely out of childhood themselves--14, 15, and 16. If you look at when people were getting married a scant century ago, age 21 was pushing into spinsterhood. So maintaining one's virginity meant remaining that way for, at the outside, six years of puberty. Plus there was a societal taboo against girls having pre-marital sex because virginity was expected.

Today? The average age of marriage sits around 28 and puberty is occurring earlier. So that means that people have been biological adults for 16 years before consummating. And nobody really things badly of someone who has sex before marriage. So making them wait that long doesn't seem exactly fair.
I agree with this post. I think a lot of things came about in a different time in the world. Myself, I do not want abstinence for MYSELF. If I feel the urge to be intimate with someone i'm involved with, i dont feel that is wrong.

For me, I like to wait a while before i have sex with someone. How long do i wait? Well it certainly wont be within 5 dates. But, i cant put a time limit on it. I want to feel comfy that the guy is into ME..and not just wanting to be 'into me'. Im prepared to wait as long as it takes until im comfy. If that pisses the guy off, and he wants to take a hike..so be it. That's all the answer i need.

But, if things work out and we enter into a committed relationship, then i dont see the problem with sex. I dont want to marry anyone i have not experienced intimately. Sorry..i want to know all about someone, sex included. The guy could have major hangups or something, or we not be compatible in bed at all. This is just my opinion. Sex is a big part of a marriage. I want to know whats going on with that BEFORE i get locked in.
Again..just my own opinion.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:06 AM

220 posts, read 489,374 times
I am a supporter of abstinance.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:51 AM

12,941 posts, read 18,831,351 times
"Abstinence makes the heart grow fouler"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzSJP
I am a supporter of abstinance.
I can still participate in sports and not become an athletic supporter ...

Old 06-20-2011, 09:50 AM

3,088 posts, read 6,615,334 times
The poll question is ridiculous. I'm married, why should I believe in "abstinence?" Rephrase the question to something tangible.

As for abstinence before marriage, I think it's ridiculous and generally believed in only by religious zealots.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:02 AM

5,387 posts, read 6,255,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
The poll question is ridiculous. I'm married, why should I believe in "abstinence?" Rephrase the question to something tangible.

As for abstinence before marriage, I think it's ridiculous and generally believed in only by religious zealots.
Your Puritan ancestors (making a generic assumption here about ancestry, lol; if I am wrong about it, my apologies ) might disagree with you!

But sharing one's physical love with a husband or wife, for the first time on one's wedding night, can be a beautiful and priceless gift, IMO. It goes beyond just my religion, for me

Old 06-20-2011, 10:06 AM

5,387 posts, read 6,255,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Here's my take on this.

The religious mandate on sex before marriage was made at a time when newlyweds were barely out of childhood themselves--14, 15, and 16. If you look at when people were getting married a scant century ago, age 21 was pushing into spinsterhood. So maintaining one's virginity meant remaining that way for, at the outside, six years of puberty. Plus there was a societal taboo against girls having pre-marital sex because virginity was expected.

Today? The average age of marriage sits around 28 and puberty is occurring earlier. So that means that people have been biological adults for 16 years before consummating. And nobody really things badly of someone who has sex before marriage. So making them wait that long doesn't seem exactly fair.

(Responding to bolded portion above) That's one of my own personal pet peeves about modern society Society today makes ppl delay marriage waay too long! (Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying that ppl should get married at 14, but seriously, why did society arbitrarily decide all of a sudden that getting married say at 18 or so is not good anymore, and make it so hard to do so, whereas before it was no problem?)

Old 06-20-2011, 10:12 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,918,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
(Responding to bolded portion above) That's one of my own personal pet peeves about modern society Society today makes ppl delay marriage waay too long! (Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying that ppl should get married at 14, but seriously, why did society arbitrarily decide all of a sudden that getting married say at 18 or so is not good anymore, and make it so hard to do so, whereas before it was no problem?)
If you're not saying that 14 is a good age to be married, but 18 seems too old to you, what are you saying?

18 is considered the age of majority in the U.S., like most of the rest of the world. It's the age at which young people can enter into contracts, including marriage.

Age of majority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marrying younger than that usually requires parental consent, and in days gone by, that was usually because somebody was knocked up. Pregnant girls didn't go to school then; they usually dropped out. Surely you're not suggesting we go back to those days.

Why would you encourage young adults to marry younger?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships