Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you beleive in abstinence?
Yes 17 28.33%
No 24 40.00%
Not a simple yes or no question 19 31.67%
I dont know..... 0 0%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 10:50 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Getting married at at 18 could prevent a whole lotta pre-marital intimacy too! (I'm not saying it would eliminate it, but you get the picture.)

Restore the mainstream marriage age to say 18, and ppl would have a lot more incentive to wait until they're married, to be intimate It's fundamentally unfair to have to wait until one is 28, to have intimacy, if one believes in pre-marital abstinence. But again, these marriage age restrictions (28 vs. 18) are foisted on us by society... a couple that actually *wants* to get married at 18, is realistically not gonna have a lot of leverage or support to do so, in today's culture
As other posters have said, this will only put added pressure on somone to get married and fast. What if they get married so early just so they can finally experience sex? As justjulia said, this would make the divorce rate climb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 10:52 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I wonder what would happen to the divorce rate then? At 18 very few people are who they will be when they get older. At 18 you have very little life, or even self experience. To make a decision then on who should be your partner for LIFE seems to be unreasonable.
That is 18 "today" though. In the past, ppl used to be much more mature at 18 years and even earlier, than most 18 year olds are in today's society.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:54 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,318 times
I am an 18 year old and I think it's fine to get married at 18 as long as you're truly ready for the commitment and responsibilities that come from marriage. But most 18 year olds are NOT emotionally ready for those things and that's why so many divorce.

I do know a couple that married at 18, before the husband passed away (which was recently, God Bless him) they were married for 66 years. They became best friends when they were in the 3rd grade, married at 18 and were always together ever since then.

I know of another couple who'll be married 52 years this year. She was 16 and he was 18 when they got married.

And I know people who have married later and divorced. My parents were both 30 when they married and they ended up divorcing 5 years later. My cousin married at 33 and divorced only 4 years later. My aunt married at 35 and divorced 3 years later (she just got married again last year and got divorced 3 months later. )

Old 06-20-2011, 10:57 AM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
That is 18 "today" though. In the past, ppl used to be much more mature at 18 years and even earlier, than most 18 year olds are in today's society.

I'm sorry I thought we were talking about the present. Weren't you just advocating for people in this decade?

In the past yes 18 years was an age when people had much more responsibility, not sure about maturity.

Also in the past you died around 40, so a lifetime partner was a shorter period. From what I've seen, this is an age where a lot of divorces occur.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Couples who marry young, particularly when they do not go on to college, are at high risk for divorce. Whatever the reasons for this increased likelihood, the fact remains that we can only move forward, not backward. There was no point in history where everything was perfect.
Fascinating...yes I am familar with this statistic, as well You have an excellent point.

I wonder though, if the same holds true for couples who married at say age 18, when this practice was much more commonplace (meaning, in the past).

Old 06-20-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
As other posters have said, this will only put added pressure on somone to get married and fast. What if they get married so early just so they can finally experience sex? As justjulia said, this would make the divorce rate climb.
Interesting...you may have a point there, admittedly...

Old 06-20-2011, 11:03 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
I wonder though, if the same holds true for couples who married at say age 18, when this practice was much more commonplace (meaning, in the past).
Probably not, since "in the past" people were generally expected to remain married because of religious or societal pressure whether they were happy and fulfilled or not.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:07 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,318 times
Quote:
Fascinating...yes I am familar with this statistic, as well You have an excellent point.

Well, 50 or 60 years ago, most women did get married in their teens. Statistics from the late 1950s show that over 50% of all first time brides were 19 and younger, with 18 being the most common age to get married. Most men were married by 22. The 1950s, had on record, the earliest average marrying ages.

But back then, college didn't hold the significance that it does today, a man could earn just a high school diploma, and have a decent job and be able to have a home and support his wife and family. The economy was booming, jobs were plentiful, and incomes were rapidly rising. The cost of living was cheaper as well, and as I said, a man could support his wife and family on only one income as a middle class family and still have money left over.

Because of the healthy economic situation, there was no need to go to college and since women married young and were housewives, they knew they would be supported by their husbands. So, there really wasn't any reason for them to continue their schooling. Once people graduated high school at 17 and 18, they had nothing else to do but just get married and start their own family.

All of this of course would encourage early marriage and parenthood. Without all the financial stress, there would be less conflict in marriages, thus leading to lower divorce rates.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm sorry I thought we were talking about the present. Weren't you just advocating for people in this decade?

In the past yes 18 years was an age when people had much more responsibility, not sure about maturity.

Also in the past you died around 40, so a lifetime partner was a shorter period. From what I've seen, this is an age where a lot of divorces occur.
Lol sorry...I was mixing perspective from today's 18 year olds, with that of 18 year olds from the historical past

I know, I know...apples and oranges

Old 06-20-2011, 11:12 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Well, 50 or 60 years ago, most women did get married in their teens. Statistics from the late 1950s show that over 50% of all first time brides were 19 and younger, with 18 being the most common age to get married. Most men were married by 22.
And keep in mind that many of these couples got married because of pregnancy. I've seen statistics (I don't know if they're online anywhere) that prior to widespread birth control, 10-20% of brides were pregnant at their weddings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships