Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 07:41 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Don't they have no fault divorces?
Of course they do. That really isn't the issue. In fact, we don't much at all about the OP's situation. He gave no details, really.

Quote:
I really don't get why they make it such a hassle when there are no kids and very little in the way of conflicting property claims.
"They"? Who are you asking about? The only people that make divorce difficult, are the two people that are obtaining the divorce. You need to read up on divorce law, and so does the OP.

Connecticut Divorce Law Primer - by Susan K. Smith, Atty. Hartford & Avon, CT

Divorce and Marital Misconduct

Old 06-19-2011, 08:11 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,413,618 times
I know all states divorce laws can be different. When I got a divorce. Me and my wife got a legal seperation. She moved back home with her parents till she could get a place of here own. In my state once you are legally seperated 1 year, either one can talk to the lawyer that did your sgreement that you want to get a court date to finalize the divorce. I did just that. I told my lawyer that I was ready to get it finalized. He arranged a court date and notified me when. In my state,once you are legaly seperation 1 year either one can file for the divorce, again I did, but we had everything on paper drawn out, uncontested I think it was called, once one files, the other party does not get notified of the court date. I went to court, got the divorce, payed my lawyer his fee, and that was that. A month or so later my exwife called and wanted to talk, like maybe getting back together. She didnt want a div in the first place, it was me. I told her the news, she was shocked. I told her if she wanted a copy of the div papers, go to my lawyer and get one. BTW, my lawyer fee was only $220. He was my dads lawyer that handled all my dads company business.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:59 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,013,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Whether or not she is lying to you about her income makes no difference. The courts will subpena the IRS records and bank statements and pay stubs...so they'll know for certain. How long were you married? Did she work during the marriage? Surely you have some idea of her income during that time?? If not, where were you?? And if you have been her main support for the duration of the marriage, then she may be in fact, eligible for support.
Nope we were together for only 2 months of our marriage and separated for a year.

I'm pretty sure she's making at least 1600 a month. She has her bachelor's in mass communications hopefully the judge will take that into account for potential income.

Yeah she worked during the marriage.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:16 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Nope we were together for only 2 months of our marriage and separated for a year.

I'm pretty sure she's making at least 1600 a month. She has her bachelor's in mass communications hopefully the judge will take that into account for potential income.

Yeah she worked during the marriage.
Usually if your income is double hers then you usually have to pony up. no children it should be a simple deal.

The attorney will want a finicial report and tax returns from last year and perhaps from when you were married.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:29 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Don't they have no fault divorces?

I really don't get why they make it such a hassle when there are no kids and very little in the way of conflicting property claims.
It's not a hassle at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships