U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-21-2011, 01:24 PM

23,295 posts, read 11,814,761 times
Comedian Tracy Morgan apologizes to the gay community in Nashville.

Tracy Morgan gives personal apology in Nashville - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110621/ap_on_en_tv/us_people_tracy_morgan - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-21-2011, 01:29 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,460,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post

Tracy Morgan gives personal apology in Nashville - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110621/ap_on_en_tv/us_people_tracy_morgan - broken link)

Yeah, I'm not even going to get into the "no homo" jokes the guy made before that point.

Unread 06-22-2011, 07:41 AM

16,884 posts, read 14,743,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
If I got angry every time someone called me a Mick because I'm Irish or called me a f*g because I was a nurse, I'd be in prison. I fear we are going to raise a generation of very thin skinned children.
Thank you! Tried to rep you on that!!

Unread 06-22-2011, 07:54 AM

16,884 posts, read 14,743,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post

Yeah I read about that. But this column lays it out.

WTF? Comic Tracy Morgan Has Offensive Material? | Roland S. Martin Blog

There isnít enough space on the Internet to chronicle the number of times a comedian has said nasty and vile things. Some of it leading the audience to fall out laughing or sometimes, or as in the case of Morgan, walk out in protest. If we are to demand an apology for every time a comedian is sexist against men or women, racist or homophobic, we might as well launch a website called www.comediansapologizedaily.com.

Say Iím wrong. Fine. Say Iím insensitive to gays and lesbians. Fine. Iíll wait for the usual bigots to say that Iím defending Tracy Morgan because heís black. Fine.

But think for a moment at all the times youíve laughed at comedians based on the things they had to say. Then ask yourself: Did I laugh, and why?

Sorry, if Iím being honest here and not focusing on political correctness. I just believe that many of you would be shocked and amazed that you laughed hysterically at some of the most sexist, homophobic, racist stuff imaginable by comedians of all shapes, sizes, ethnic backgrounds, genders and sexual orientations.

Maybe none of us want to accept that as a comedian, Morgan is keenly aware of what society actually thinks, and he simply said it onstage. Isnít that what comedians have always done? Reflect what society actually thinks, but say it in a forum where we can laugh through our pain.

ďIt ainít what you say itís how you say it. Itís jokes. Itís fun. But itís the truth. In the back of your mind, you be wanting to say this **** sometimes.Ē

Sorry, thatís not my quote. That was Bernie Mac from ďThe Kings of Comedy.Ē

And then he follows it with another insightful piece.

Tracy Morgan and the Limits of Comedy | Roland S. Martin Blog

Unread 06-22-2011, 08:22 AM

6,877 posts, read 7,275,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
So, I was out with someone and she saw a couple she knew so we stuck together for a lot of the night. As things wound down we found ourselves in a hippie kind of bar. The tables were bolted down, so when her friend's boyfriend tried to move one I said, "Don't steal it".

Then he went into a one sided conversation that started with, "Yeah, you know how us white people do/ok since you said that, then I can tell you this. Then he told a really bad n-word joke. And he actually said the n-word.

Why do people do this?
They do it because they either don't think it's offensive or they figure you'll find it funny too. But what I find interesting is how people are saying it's PC to take offense to the N-word or that people are too thin-skinned. If I were around someone who used that word, I would give them a dirty look and say "I don't think that's funny."

Unread 06-22-2011, 08:49 AM

600 posts, read 386,709 times
Quote:
The bigger question I think is why are people so damn sensitive? It's just a joke! I swear people are such pu**ies these days! Black people AND white people!

Exactly - why are racists so da*n sensitive? Why can't they just fess up to being what they are. They are the real "pu**ies" if you ask me.

If I had a dollar for every time a racist (White, Black, or whatever) got all defensive when someone called them out, I'd be an effin billionaire.

Unread 06-22-2011, 11:45 AM

9,399 posts, read 6,581,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
They do it because they either don't think it's offensive or they figure you'll find it funny too. But what I find interesting is how people are saying it's PC to take offense to the N-word or that people are too thin-skinned. If I were around someone who used that word, I would give them a dirty look and say "I don't think that's funny."
meh, people seem to take offense to "******" whenever it's not used in a rap song, I figure that's a stupid double-standard. either we should never use it or it shouldn't matter what the medium is but the intent.

Unread 06-22-2011, 11:57 AM

2,015 posts, read 1,581,504 times
Interesting.

Unread 06-22-2011, 01:30 PM

3,665 posts, read 1,531,567 times
Quote:
The bigger question I think is why are people so damn sensitive? It's just a joke! I swear people are such pu**ies these days! Black people AND white people!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
God, I'm so tired of bland PC bores...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Thank you! Tried to rep you on that!!
Oh give me a break. Everyone has something that offends them and sets them off. I'm pretty sure there's something I find hilarious that would offend the crap out of you.

Unread 06-22-2011, 01:52 PM

2,732 posts, read 1,380,564 times
It is okay to tell jokes like that if everyone involved knows each other and knows no one will take offense. But you don't do that with strangers, just out of common courtesy. The same type of thing holds true for religion and politics. Not everyone thinks everything is funny.

Why does just being a decent person have to be "PC"? Just don't be a dick. It is not that hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships