U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 11:03 AM

23,948 posts, read 20,575,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
who wants to hang out with a downer who gets offended about fat jokes and irish jokes and black jokes?
Who wants to hang out with a boor who makes fat jokes and Irish jokes and black jokes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
They're asking to get punched in the face.
Basically.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Exactly, that's a good demonstration of what a downer might say.

I reckon I've just been called "white boy" too many times to really care. As long as I don't get jumped or shot, I don't care what anybody thinks; I'm not running for office.
There's no history of degradation or dehumanization behind "white boy."

Old 06-23-2011, 11:06 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,768,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
Why do people do this? Because racism is alive and well and it always will be. Shouldn't be a shocker.

Just don't hang around that person anymore.

I hear the word atleast 4-5 times a week I would say. Look at my location. Does it offend me? No, it honestly doesn't. Do I have black friends? Yes. If I got offended everytime I heard it, I would probably be in jail.
Why does getting offended equal jail?

Old 06-23-2011, 11:41 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,915,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
Why does getting offended equal jail?
Well, if you offend someone enough they are likely to get physical depending on the person.

If that one incident offended you, you would likely get offended here every other day. Having grown up in a small farming town in the south, it's not unusual.

Although I think people are using it less now, you still hear it quite a bit.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:59 AM

3,793 posts, read 2,885,549 times
There's a fine line drawn in the sand here...

It really depends on how crude the joke actually is.

I have heard ethnic jokes of both my own (African American) and others, and thought they were funny (somewhat anyway). And I have definately heard others that did border or fully extend over inappropriate.

Stereotypes about sensitive historical events such as the Holocaust, slave trade etc are not funny imo...

Witty jokes about certain types of ethnic behavior can be funny if it doesn't cross a certain line.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:29 PM

2,178 posts, read 2,645,931 times
I'd be offended by the N word jokes. They are just too hurtful.

I had the exact opposite issue with a date. I was going to order lamb and she said it was not an ethical sort of meat. Then I made a joke about how I could just move to another country and become an illegal immigrant. She didn't like the word "illegal". Kind of ridiculous, but harmless I guess.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:46 PM

42,843 posts, read 54,899,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yanno, I really dislike the "N" word.
I've never used it here mainly because I don't really need it and also because I know it's not acceptable, obviously. However, in my mother tongue and other languages, variations of the same word simply describe Blacks as a race and that's about it. I've noticed in recent years there's some PC of this nature going on back home, too, and American Blacks are referred to as African-Americans.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:49 PM

42,843 posts, read 54,899,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I had the exact opposite issue with a date. I was going to order lamb and she said it was not an ethical sort of meat. Then I made a joke about how I could just move to another country and become an illegal immigrant. She didn't like the word "illegal". Kind of ridiculous, but harmless I guess.
I'd tell her to shove the perfectly fine lamb in her legal as@! On second thought, don't waste the good lamb!

Btw, I'm curious - what's "unethical" about lamb anyway?

Old 06-23-2011, 10:55 PM

2,178 posts, read 2,645,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I'd tell her to shove the perfectly fine lamb in her legal as@! On second thought, don't waste the good lamb!

Btw, I'm curious - what's "unethical" about lamb anyway?
something about it being a baby animal. i might just have to say that i dont want to know what foods are ok or not ok to her. or maybe i'll sneak lamb in her food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships