Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 03:36 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,770,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Just answering the topic title which said nothing about looks. Their case was about looks, but compliments are compliments, regardless of what they're about, right?
If during an awkward silence on a date one of you breaks out in "You're so smart and funny and beautiful. How did I land someone so wonderful?", that's just awkward. Even though it's a lovely sentiment, it sounds fake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 03:37 PM

284 posts, read 498,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
Has anyone noticed that the thread title "Scared To Give A Compliment Much?" is gender neutral, yet just about every single response over 5 pages has been geared towards women accepting/rejecting/disliking compliments from men?

Do women ever compliment men? Is that out of the realm of possibilty? Do men ever receive compliments? Should men receiving compliments also be a part of this thread?
I compliment men all of the time. I compliment them on their looks (I used to all one of my boyfriends a tasty treat. It made him blush. ^_^ hehehe). I compliment men on their choice of clothes if they're looking exceptionally spiffy. I'll mention if it they have a good haircut. And I'll say something if they've done something remarkably smart/clever. Same with women.

What? Anyone deserving of a compliment should receive one. It makes people's day to know that something they've done has been noticed and appreciated -- and it costs me nothing to give.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:02 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,978,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
If during an awkward silence on a date one of you breaks out in "You're so smart and funny and beautiful. How did I land someone so wonderful?", that's just awkward. Even though it's a lovely sentiment, it sounds fake.
If you think that's the only way to compliment someone you've obviously never had a sincere compliment so there is no amount of explanation that will make you 'get it'.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:32 PM

591 posts, read 864,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
So why are some people so reluctant to give compliments?

I was out on a date and the guy just kept looking at me like he had something to say. I was like "what's on your mind?" he would say "nothing" and then look away. But minutes later he would look again. I started to get a little exasperated... he finally said "you're so hot I really like your smile and eyes and... etc" I told him thanks but really why do people hold back? If you want to compliment someone and express that you are 'into' someone else then you should do it... don't be bashful because the moment may pass you by

Well, all I can say is the days when a man could give women such a compliment without negative repercussions were like back in 1950. You try that today you're a sexist pig for complementing her hair. She wants to know that you think she's smart or was particularly good in her profession or something really reflecting an achievement that is more masculine, not just a complement on the vagaries of being born a woman.

This is why men are reluctant to give out complements, it's lose-lose.

Last edited by Doctor Blues; 10-19-2011 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 10-19-2011, 10:08 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,157,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
So why are some people so reluctant to give compliments?

I was out on a date and the guy just kept looking at me like he had something to say. I was like "what's on your mind?" he would say "nothing" and then look away. But minutes later he would look again. I started to get a little exasperated... he finally said "you're so hot I really like your smile and eyes and... etc" I told him thanks but really why do people hold back? If you want to compliment someone and express that you are 'into' someone else then you should do it... don't be bashful because the moment may pass you by
I don't do it at work. Outside of work, I don't want women to act as if I want her just because I said something kind. If i do give one, it's usualy to an older women. They tend not to take it the wrong way. under 50, I don't say a word.

Isay all of that because I do give compliments to guys and gals. If a guy is wearing nice sghoes or a nice shirt/tie i have no probalem letting him know.

unfortunaltely I think many of the Modern day guys were not raised in environments where it was normal to give and receive complements.

I have guys look at meand laugh because I gave a complement, it's a eego thing or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships