Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 11:53 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times

Advertisements

Hats off to all posters on this thread - these are some GREAT stories

This will date me, but these are some of the songs that I remember most from that time frame of falling in love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfLEc09tTjI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRVwcPTnug8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkS169P_Eeo

Last edited by lovesMountains; 06-23-2011 at 12:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 12:47 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Damn. I would love to make up some over-the-top proposal story such as hiring the Goodyear Blimp or some such.

Instead, it was September 16, 1990, we were washing dishes at my apartment after dinner, and the Cubs were losing on the television. It just struck me at that moment that that was our life was supposed to be like, so I just blurted out, "Hey, do you want to get married?"

She dried the dish without skipping a beat and asked, "What did we do on our fourth date?"

"We went to the horse track with your friend Kathleen and her new boyfriend."

"Oh." And she just kept right on putting away dishes, not saying another word. By this point, I was freaking out because I'd just put myself out there and got a big fat goose egg in response. We just kept washing and drying dishes in this weird state of suspended animation for another ten minutes or so until I finally couldn't take it any more.

"Well?"

"Well, what?"

"I asked you to marry me and you asked what we did on our fourth date."

"Yes, I know. That's when I knew I would marry you."

"So that's a yes?"

"Yes."

That was it. No bending of knee. No applause from the other diners in a chi-chi restaurant. Hope you aren't underwhelmed by it. It was just like the door had opened in that moment and I needed to walk through it. Of course, she said that she wasn't surprised at all, which explains why she didn't drop the dish she was drying.

Last edited by cpg35223; 06-23-2011 at 12:57 PM..

Old 06-23-2011, 01:10 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,927 times
^^That was an extremely adorable story Loved it.
Thanks for sharing!

Old 06-23-2011, 01:43 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Great stories. I hope you continue to be romantic and loving all your life.

I've never really had a proposal night. But I loved reading about yours.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:26 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,382,777 times
I feel kinda bad about my proposal night because I didn't cry or get emotional like other girls I know but it was still sweet.

It was a Sat night and I was waiting for my BF of one year to come over for the night. He was suppose to be there at 10 so by 11pm (and this being a recurrent thing) I was annoyed and less than thrilled when he finally showed up some time after. I think I barely gave him a hug hello. I was dressed in a dingy house T-shirt and some booty shorts I sleep in, not done up, cute or anything.

We flop on the couch and begin to watch Saturday Night Live. After a few mins, he asks me to look in his bookbag and get something out for him. Still annoyed, I'm like 'Why?', he's says, just get it for me, I ask 'Why can't you get it?'. He again says please look in the little pocket and get an envelope, he wants to show me something. I climb off the couch, still annoyed and get this envelope. On the outside, it was addressed to my father (who passed in 2004).

The letter started with "Dear Mr. [my daddy's name] and he goes on to say what a wonderful, beautiful daughter he raised and that even though they did not meet, they share some things in common and one being a deep love for me. He goes on about how he'll treat me right and be a good husband and then asks for permission for my hand in marriage.

He then pulled out the ring. I am in such disbelief cause he had just lost his job the week prior and I knew he had no savings to buy such a ring (EXACTLY the ring I wanted), that I am still not getting it.

My reponse: "What! Are you crazy! For real! You're crazy! What are you doing?" I just didn't believe it was a proposal.

He clarifies, says something about me being the best thing to happen to him and wants me to be his wife. I said yes.

The next day, it hit me and I cried a bit. We got married the next year. He wishes he would have gotten down on bended knee and I wish I would have cried. Oh well. I kept the letter as a memento. Its one of many love letters.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:37 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,009,690 times
I planned a hike to the "eternal flame" which is a burning flame behind a small waterfall in a local park. It is a really cool thing to see. Once there, we lingered, took pictures, talked. It started to sprinkle, so I kneeled down to pull out our rain gear, handed over a raincoat. She turned to put it on, while I pulled out the ring. When she turned around, I took her hand, said a few sweet things about how I loved her and asked. She of course said yes!

Old 06-23-2011, 06:26 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Lovely stories all around. Thanks for participating and I hope to read more.

We just got back from dinner @our favorite Japanese steak house (minus the steak). It has been a nice, relaxing evening thus far.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:05 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,490,627 times
it was December 23, 1995. my DH had not been in the US long and a bunch of family members were going into NYC to see the holiday decorations etc.
we were a group of 8 or 10, including my parents and his brother and SIL.
so we are all walking and enjoying the sights and my DH tells me that that he and his brother were going to take us girls on a carriage ride along 5th ave. i was like, no what about everyone else? this is just too weird, why would we go on a carriage ride while everyone else is left at the curb? i was basically arguing with him .
FINALLY he convinced me to get on and the carriage starts moving with only us 2 on it. i was like, wait stop, your brother and sil are still not on!!!!
he is trying to just get me to enjoy but i am still not understanding what is going on. finally he proposes and i am SHOCKED. another acrriage was next to us and just everyone around us seemed to have seen what just happened and started cheering. then when we got off i realized NO ONE in our group knew except his brother and SIL...i got off thinking ok you were all in on this haha, but the were just as surprised as i was.
anyway it was very beautful and romantic and although NYC has always had a special place in my heart, this made it even more so.

we will be celebrating our 14th wedding anniversary at the end of this month.

Last edited by findinghope; 06-23-2011 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 06-24-2011, 07:45 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,336,780 times
still waiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships