Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 08:12 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times

Advertisements

I work in a busy ED.

In my experience the older people are the most pleasant and gracious. The younger people are demanding, entitled, rude and obnoxious.

Obviously that's a gross generalisation but it's a trend I have noticed in all three countries I have worked in, so it's not just the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 08:21 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,396,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Funny, because I notice just the opposite. In most cases, people tend to mellow with age and become more easy going, especially after 50 or so. Sure there are cranky old folks out there, and it can be for any number of reasons, most of which I believe are health related. When your health is failing it adds stressors, especially if they are coping with a terminal illness or crippling injury. Being in pain most of the time sort of takes the wind out of your sails. That, or life was a continuous grind for them and they've become hard and salty as a result.
I was going to say the same thing. My mom is in her mid 40s (ok that's not old but as a 21 year old girl that's a lot older than I am ) and she's as kind and jolly as she can be. I have also seen a lot of older people who are so kind and loves to joke with young people. I have encounter some really mean people but who knows why they're mean...But I have no idea why people who work in Driver's ED are always mean. Perhaps they've become callous over the years.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:30 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
What causes ppl to (tend to) become less kind, as they get older? I'm definitely not saying *all* ppl become meaner with age, just that one thing I have definitely noticed over the years is that as a person ages, the levels of basic kindness in regular interactions with others usually plummets, across the board. Some of the very meanest ppl I've come across, have been in their later years. Why does age tend to make ppl's basic levels of compassion and positive emotional expression of things like love, kindness, and affection, harden and become much more inhibited and repressed?
Could just be your perspective.

Like when Betty White says something bluntly sexual and it's hillarious but if it were some 25yo guy it would have no "shock value". Some people are mean jerks their whole lives but it stands out more with age.

In some people, they have physical problems that cause them some degree of pain and that makes anybody cranky.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:31 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,647,438 times
Mostly, it's bad things that happened in the past. It can also be that many people simply don't understand them too.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:32 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You're confused, dear, which is understandable in your ol' age. They're just eyeing their next Thanksgiving dinner!
And here I thought they just wanted me to gobble them ...

Old 06-23-2011, 11:59 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,681,324 times
I always believed that men softened and became more emotional as they aged due to lower levels of testosterone.

I just thought I'd throw that notion out there as no one else has brought it up.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:04 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,738,879 times
Could be brain disorders associated with the elderly that would cause some elderly people to have extreme negative personality changes.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:08 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
- disappointments
- disillusionment
- regrets
- lack of fulfillment
- financial problems
- health problems
- family problems
- loneliness

Any or all of the above!
Yep, that would be my list too.

Any one of those is enough to make some people bitter and less inclined to kindness

Old 06-23-2011, 12:09 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
I always believed that men softened and became more emotional as they aged due to lower levels of testosterone.

I just thought I'd throw that notion out there as no one else has brought it up.

Now that you mention it, I have noticed this in some senior men

Old 06-23-2011, 12:12 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,187,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
What causes ppl to (tend to) become less kind, as they get older? I'm definitely not saying *all* ppl become meaner with age, just that one thing I have definitely noticed over the years is that as a person ages, the levels of basic kindness in regular interactions with others usually plummets, across the board. Some of the very meanest ppl I've come across, have been in their later years. Why does age tend to make ppl's basic levels of compassion and positive emotional expression of things like love, kindness, and affection, harden and become much more inhibited and repressed?
In my limited experience, kindness is subjective. Meanness is obvious. Some people think I am not nice but that is because they only see the negative in what I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships