U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-23-2011, 06:27 PM
Status: "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" (set 10 days ago)
 
Location: Wu Dang Mountain
12,939 posts, read 17,977,710 times
Reputation: 8630

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Was it like the scene from the matrix?

Cuz that's what I felt like a week or so ago.
That's scarey - it's exactly what I thought of when I first saw this thread title.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-23-2011, 06:28 PM
 
Location: John & Ken-ville
13,665 posts, read 14,157,634 times
Reputation: 9436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
Aside from the two recent threads I made in this forum, I just realized something about someone I knew.

She considers herself "intelligent" so she subscribes to Neo-Malthusian views and later goes on to talk about all the African-American mothers irresponsibly having babies. Apparently she got this from her business professor and riding MARTA. Yet, those with the #1 birth rate in the US are Hispanic.

Now, as one of the basis of these views, she believes only intelligent people should reproduce. The Irony is coming.

She's a psych major still taking classes, who is not good at math, nor has she taken any upper level science(Anatomy & Physiology, Physics, Upper level Chemistry). She bases this on her SAT scores and the IOWA test of basic skills, which she will not tell me what they are, but mine could easily beat hers.

She can't control her addiction to certain substances.

And recently, a friend of mine was talking to her and my friend had to explain what "Double Entendre" meant.

And she also thinks someone can be gay if they talk about someone they associate with business wise and is not up on current events.

I have really dodged a bullet. Seriously, "Double Entendre" was taught to us in 10th-11th grade, unless there is something I am missing here. . . . . . .

PS. I forgot that she is in her mid twenties and doesn't know what a CD(Certificate of Deposit) is, so finance is not it.
She's naive. And parroting other's opinions, she hasn't formed any of her own. Not necessarily less intelligent - she hasn't earned her stripes yet.

Wisdom comes with age.

Her haughty airs of superiority will fade away when someone takes her down a peg.

It will happen in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 06:37 PM
Status: "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" (set 10 days ago)
 
Location: Wu Dang Mountain
12,939 posts, read 17,977,710 times
Reputation: 8630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
PS. I forgot that she is in her mid twenties and doesn't know what a CD(Certificate of Deposit) is, so finance is not it.
That isn't quite fair - do you know, without looking them up, what the terms yawara, En Passant or amphoteric mean?

Oh, and by the way -

Quote:
Now, as one of the basis of these views...
- the plural of "basis" is "bases".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 06:39 PM
 
Location: 112 Ocean Avenue
5,706 posts, read 7,449,207 times
Reputation: 8846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
Aside from the two recent threads I made in this forum, I just realized something about someone I knew.

She considers herself "intelligent" so she subscribes to Neo-Malthusian views and later goes on to talk about all the African-American mothers irresponsibly having babies. Apparently she got this from her business professor and riding MARTA. Yet, those with the #1 birth rate in the US are Hispanic.

Now, as one of the basis of these views, she believes only intelligent people should reproduce. The Irony is coming.

She's a psych major still taking classes, who is not good at math, nor has she taken any upper level science(Anatomy & Physiology, Physics, Upper level Chemistry). She bases this on her SAT scores and the IOWA test of basic skills, which she will not tell me what they are, but mine could easily beat hers.

She can't control her addiction to certain substances.

And recently, a friend of mine was talking to her and my friend had to explain what "Double Entendre" meant.

And she also thinks someone can be gay if they talk about someone they associate with business wise and is not up on current events.

I have really dodged a bullet. Seriously, "Double Entendre" was taught to us in 10th-11th grade, unless there is something I am missing here. . . . . . .

PS. I forgot that she is in her mid twenties and doesn't know what a CD(Certificate of Deposit) is, so finance is not it.
All that's forgivable as long as she remembers who ties up who when having sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 06:40 PM
 
17,870 posts, read 15,878,760 times
Reputation: 13734
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
That's scarey - it's exactly what I thought of when I first saw this thread title.
Well, as the old phrase goes: Awful minds think alike!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 06:44 PM
 
15,732 posts, read 15,925,925 times
Reputation: 12697
I think you still like her...and you are trying to convince yourself that you don't by focusing on everything that is negative.

It's kind of like the girl crying and and calling her last love a jerk because he broke up with her...she liked him up until that point that he broke her heart and now she has to convince herself that she doesn't.


Just my take on it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 07:08 PM
 
1,446 posts, read 2,842,534 times
Reputation: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
She just sounds young, inexperienced in life, and naive.

Won't be too long before someone "below her" puts her in her place, hardcore. That's usually what it takes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
She's naive. And parroting other's opinions, she hasn't formed any of her own. Not necessarily less intelligent - she hasn't earned her stripes yet.

Wisdom comes with age.

Her haughty airs of superiority will fade away when someone takes her down a peg.

It will happen in time.
I was hoping the Judge would do that.

Can't it be someone above her?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
That isn't quite fair - do you know, without looking them up, what the terms yawara, En Passant or amphoteric mean?

Oh, and by the way -



- the plural of "basis" is "bases".
So you choose an obscure martial arts weapon, an obscure chess move, and a chemistry term to compare with something that was taught to us and we were tested on in 11th grade and has been recited on Family Guy, a popular Fox show. Nice. You're acting like I am picking on her for asking what adianoeta means.

I'm pretty sure most of us have seen Saturday Night Live, heard Howard stern, or taken 11th grade English before we went to study martial arts weaponry, advanced chess, or chemistry. The term Double Entendre is just more common.

Quote:
Family Guy is known to use innuendo and Double Entendre particularly through Puns. In the Episode New Kidney in Town a cut-scene features Emily Bronte and Charlotte Bronte are complimenting each other on their great works of literature, while a little-known Third Bronte Sister is with them whom appears to be depicted as mentally retarded and exclaims she 'made blood out of her lady parts' to which the others reply good for her. The Double Entendre is then uttered by Brian who says "It's a Period Joke." to which Peter makes the Rejoinder "It's a Period Period Joke." effectively explaining the double entendre.
Quote:
Howard Stern is famous for pushing the envelope by using double entendres
Quote:
Saturday Night Live has a history of using Double Entendres.
She was on the internet by the way, when she asked my friend this. I didn't believe it til my friend showed it to me.

BTW, thanks for the grammar lesson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 07:11 PM
 
Location: Great Plains
25,587 posts, read 28,261,055 times
Reputation: 22713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Well, as the old phrase goes: Awful minds think alike!
No, no, no, NO... Great minds think alike. Dirty minds work together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 07:13 PM
 
17,870 posts, read 15,878,760 times
Reputation: 13734
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
No, no, no, NO... Great minds think alike. Dirty minds work together.
Well I was combining phrases.

My head is jumbled with thoughts tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 07:18 PM
 
Location: Great Plains
25,587 posts, read 28,261,055 times
Reputation: 22713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Well I was combining phrases.

My head is jumbled with thoughts tonight.
Poor frog dude... Been there wrecked that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top