Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 06:20 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,988,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Poor frog dude... Been there wrecked that.
Well, I haven't wrecked it hard enough it seems.

I need to keep wrecking it until I can do no more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 06:37 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
So you choose an obscure martial arts weapon, an obscure chess move, and a chemistry term to compare with something that was taught to us and we were tested on in 11th grade and has been recited on Family Guy, a popular Fox show. Nice. You're acting like I am picking on her for asking what adianoeta means.
I think you're missing my point.

Did she go to the same school you did, and take the same English classes? If so, my apologies. If not, surely you know that the "required" lessons of schools vary widely across the country; what was mandatory in yours may have been optional, or nonexistent, in hers.

And... I noticed 3 Wiki links in a row - you looked them up, didn't you?

To me, a martial artist, chess player and former chemistry student, NONE of those terms are "obscure" - in fact, I'm an annoying-enough guy to try to work them into my conversations every day!

So what is to you a no-brainer term ("CD") is, to someone like myself with scant knowledge of the financial world, a bit more challenging. We all have our unique bits of knowledge - to put ourselves above another, or to push them below us, based upon that knowledge is misleading and unfair.

And Family Guy? While I'm a huge fan, it doesn't (or shouldn't) qualify as the defining authority of the English language.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure most of us have seen Saturday Night Live, heard Howard stern, or taken 11th grade English before we went to study martial arts weaponry, advanced chess, or chemistry. The term Double Entendre is just more common.
It's been SO many years since I was in 11th-grade English - I mainly remember trying to look up Miss Campanella's skirt all the time.

But I don't believe that "double-entendre" was in our curriculum.

So is your argument that she isn't pop-culture enough? It seems that way with your references ... again, as with Family Guy, SNL and Howard Stern are hardly the standard-bearers of proper English, let alone good taste. If you had said Masterpiece Theater I might be more willing to agree ...

By the way - I remember that FG episode - classic!

Quote:
She was on the internet by the way, when she asked my friend this. I didn't believe it til my friend showed it to me.
Well, as they say about Vegas - "What happens on the 'Net, stays on the 'Net"

Quote:
BTW, thanks for the grammar lesson.
You're quite welcome - I'm a b*stard that way.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:52 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Because she has an opinion and comes to stupid conclusions you think you dodged a bullet. Did you take the time to explain things to her? Or show her error in a compassionate way? I'm not the brightest bulb all the time, but I do have my days. Also there is all kinds of level of smarts. Street smart-Lived it and know how to get by. Book smart-Knows the distance to the sun from every planet-yet can't confer-sate with a normal human being. Financially smart-Knows everything from mutual funds, 401k, stocks, bonds, and cd's. Or just learning to be patient with others and learn from each other. Everyone has something good about them that you can benefit from.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:53 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,550,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
I think you're missing my point.

Did she go to the same school you did, and take the same English classes? If so, my apologies. If not, surely you know that the "required" lessons of schools vary widely across the country; what was mandatory in yours may have been optional, or nonexistent, in hers.
Yes, we went to the same school. I'm sorry if I didn't say that earlier.

Quote:
And... I noticed 3 Wiki links in a row - you looked them up, didn't you?
Why Yoooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu . . . . . .

Quote:
To me, a martial artist, chess player and former chemistry student, NONE of those terms are "obscure" - in fact, I'm an annoying-enough guy to try to work them into my conversations every day!

So what is to you a no-brainer term ("CD") is, to someone like myself with scant knowledge of the financial world, a bit more challenging. We all have our unique bits of knowledge - to put ourselves above another, or to push them below us, based upon that knowledge is misleading and unfair.
My main point wasn't the CD. I was just exploring other fields. But, while this is brought up. She banks with BoA who charges people for Checking accounts. She thinks my bank is a scam because the only have 4 branches. Yet, my branch doesn't charge me money to keep my money. It's the same distain I had for AOL customers who kept buying dial up and e-mail for $29.99 in the year 2000 when there was better stuff out there.

I know there are different areas of knowledge, but I haven't found one where she is especially talented. That and she is basing intelligence off the SAT and the Iowa test of basic skills, while she will not divulge scores. Tests from back in High School. We are in our mid 20s.

She likes the show Breaking Bad, so I don't know if she likes chemistry, but while she was involved in the stuff that got her set to court, she certainly was not at the level they are in the show.

Quote:
And Family Guy? While I'm a huge fan, it doesn't (or shouldn't) qualify as the defining authority of the English language.

It's been SO many years since I was in 11th-grade English - I mainly remember trying to look up Miss Campanella's skirt all the time.

But I don't believe that "double-entendre" was in our curriculum.

So is your argument that she isn't pop-culture enough? It seems that way with your references ... again, as with Family Guy, SNL and Howard Stern are hardly the standard-bearers of proper English, let alone good taste. If you had said Masterpiece Theater I might be more willing to agree ...

By the way - I remember that FG episode - classic!

Well, as they say about Vegas - "What happens on the 'Net, stays on the 'Net"

You're quite welcome - I'm a b*stard that way.
No, somehow she is quite pop culture all the way down to her smart phone.

My point is she considers herself intelligent enough to dictate that she knows best about who should have population controls placed on them, even based on ethnicity even though she doesn't know much about current population trends, yet she is pretty much in the dark.

Now if she was a martial artist who liked chess, while making chemistry jokes, I wouldn't be saying a thing.

Last edited by Java378; 06-23-2011 at 07:02 PM..

Old 06-23-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Because she has an opinion and comes to stupid conclusions you think you dodged a bullet. Did you take the time to explain things to her? Or show her error in a compassionate way? I'm not the brightest bulb all the time, but I do have my days. Also there is all kinds of level of smarts. Street smart-Lived it and know how to get by. Book smart-Knows the distance to the sun from every planet-yet can't confer-sate with a normal human being. Financially smart-Knows everything from mutual funds, 401k, stocks, bonds, and cd's. Or just learning to be patient with others and learn from each other. Everyone has something good about them that you can benefit from.

Yes, I took times to explain things to her. Not in a condescending way, but in a kind of reminder way, like "You do realize Hispanics in America have a higher birth rate than African-Americans, right?

However, if I literally rub someone the wrong way, she will hold it over me for weeks. Two weeks so far.

And by rub someone the wrong way, I mean I rubbed someone on their back.

I am a bit of Street, Book, and Finance smart. But, putting it into categories for me is not a good way to do things. I'm better at Game Theory.

PS. I can talk to normal human beings. I just think if I see thoughts that could lead to very bad ideas for the time being, I should nip it in the bud. Population control is a touchy subject. I won't say that I haven't thought of giving birth control to people on welfare, but that is a big debate and I am past trying to control other people.

Last edited by Java378; 06-23-2011 at 07:14 PM..

Old 06-23-2011, 07:09 PM

BTW, I'm not saying I'm smart at all.

But, for some reason I assume that a lot of the above is common knowledge because if it's not, I should have a job teaching or guiding people towards how to work the banks, savings account, or even a tutoring service.

On the other side of this, I don't think people are really looking for tutoring for the ASVAB(I scored high on this with a nearly unbeatable score) since many are going in with whatever.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
BTW, I'm not saying I'm smart at all.

But, for some reason I assume that a lot of the above is common knowledge because if it's not, I should have a job teaching or guiding people towards how to work the banks, savings account, or even a tutoring service.

On the other side of this, I don't think people are really looking for tutoring for the ASVAB(I scored high on this with a nearly unbeatable score) since many are going in with whatever.
Maybe you should. And are you talking about a college test? Ha if you don't get the job, your college edjamacation doesn't mean squat. I went to college and learned a lot of b.s. that you will NEVER USE! Many jobs I find, it's not what you know it's who you know. Yes learning things helps and I'm a big believer in expanding the mind. But with time you will learn the real meaning of what is important and what is not.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Maybe you should. And are you talking about a college test? Ha if you don't get the job, your college edjamacation doesn't mean squat. I went to college and learned a lot of b.s. that you will NEVER USE! Many jobs I find, it's not what you know it's who you know. Yes learning things helps and I'm a big believer in expanding the mind. But with time you will learn the real meaning of what is important and what is not.

The ASVAB is a military test, not a college test.

I see you have some feelings about college. May I ask what you majored in and if you finished. Are you seriously an Art major? And if so, why did you choose that major?

And are you currently employed?

Also, I have to disagree with your statement about everyone having something good about them I can benefit from. No, that is naive thinking. If you don't believe it is, find 5 homeless people in your city and learn from them.

I have actually used things I learned from college. The thing is, I went to college to gain access to the resources, not the teachers. And by business is starting back up.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:43 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Quote:
Also, I have to disagree with your statement about everyone having something good about them I can benefit from. No, that is naive thinking. If you don't believe it is, find 5 homeless people in your city and learn form them.
Not only because I'm enjoying pulling the tiger's tail here, but because this article is actually quite enlightening ...

5 Homeless Guys Who Accomplished Amazing Things | Cracked.com

Old 06-23-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
The ASVAB is a military test. Not a college test.

I see you have some feelings about college. May I ask what you majored in and if you finished.

And are you currently employed?

Also, I have to disagree with your statement about everyone having something good about them I can benefit from. No, that is naive thinking. If you don't believe it is, find 5 homeless people in your city and learn form them.
Yes I finished college and I am employed. What about the homeless people learn how they got there in the first place or if they had a psychological disorder and never got help. If they were abused maybe? Learn how to help them or prevent others from going down this lonely sad road. I learned from an elderly lady that life is too short to dwell on things and if you want to be treated like a human being, you have to be one yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships