Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 07:48 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
When my ex and I got married at 26, we were not going to have children. We were going to travel instead. At 31, the baby urge hit both of us and we decided to have a baby. She was awful--colicky and hard to get along with and wouldn't have anyone but mom. So he took me out on a date and suggested that maybe we should try for another one. And we had another girl and so glad we did--the girls were the only thing that made my marriage worth it and they are the joy of my life. And we traveled anyway--several years ago we took the then 12 and 14 yo girls out on a round-the-world trip for a year and had a blast with them.
Round the world trip ? Wow, that sounds like fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 10:01 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
Do people change their minds when it comes to kids when they fall in love? One of the most common things said is that "when you meet the right man/woman, you'll change your mind and want kids with him/her."

I'm just curious if anyone has had this happened to them or someone they know. If not, then explain the case against that notion.
I think that after a few years of being together most couples (if they have any inkling to do so)will then want children..

Old 06-26-2011, 11:08 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Round the world trip ? Wow, that sounds like fun!
Oh yeah!

Old 06-26-2011, 11:12 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,833,752 times
Quote:
Do people change their minds when it comes to kids when they fall in love? One of the most common things said is that "when you meet the right man/woman, you'll change your mind and want kids with him/her."

I'm just curious if anyone has had this happened to them or someone they know. If not, then explain the case against that notion.
Yes I really loved someone (still do) and while I am on the fence about marriage and kids - if he wanted to get married tomorrow, I'd probably do it. Because I love him and there's nobody else in the world quite like him. Now, I don't know if it's going to work out and I am free to focus on other things at the moment. But it happens.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:05 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,106,292 times
Cynical as this may sound, I believe people lose their minds when they fall in love. So great is their desire to keep that special person in their lives that they will agree to things they didn't necessarily want (eg marriage or children). Some people, female people in particular, think of this as 'moving forward' or 'taking the relationship to the next level.' The terms I'd use for it are rather less complimentary and best left to the imagination.

Considering the state humans have left the planet in, I think having children is downright unethical. I also can't imagine wanting someone in my life, let alone changing my entire belief system to make sure they stick around. Thank God a wheelchair reduces the social and family pressure to meet someone, settle down and perpetuate the whole wretched cycle. I'll have no part of it.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:34 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,045 times
Maybe some people change their minds when they fall in love, but I think that they were ambivalent to begin with. Someone who is dead-set against having children don't change their minds for the most part, and the "right" partner is one that shares that sentiment.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:47 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
If they want kids I won't fall in love with them. Simple as that.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:51 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:

That's pretty individual.

I remember when, shortly after we married, my wife and I opined that it would have been nice if we'd had children together. However, being 48 and 50, respectively, both having children from former marriages and she having had a hysterectomy some years earlier it was, thankfully, impossible.

Neither of us would have wished to start from scratch again when it came to parenting.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:59 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
Cynical as this may sound, I believe people lose their minds when they fall in love. So great is their desire to keep that special person in their lives that they will agree to things they didn't necessarily want (eg marriage or children). Some people, female people in particular, think of this as 'moving forward' or 'taking the relationship to the next level.' The terms I'd use for it are rather less complimentary and best left to the imagination.

Considering the state humans have left the planet in, I think having children is downright unethical. I also can't imagine wanting someone in my life, let alone changing my entire belief system to make sure they stick around. Thank God a wheelchair reduces the social and family pressure to meet someone, settle down and perpetuate the whole wretched cycle. I'll have no part of it.
You revived a 6-year-old thread because.....?

In my observation, people don't change their minds about wanting kids when they fall in love. To the contrary, when marriage comes up as a topic, they discuss the issue and forge no-kids agreements. Those agreements may go out the window later, when the woman's mommy-hormones hit, sometime in the 30's, or they may not, if her mommy-hormones don't hit, and she stays on track for no kids.

There are no generalizations applicable on this issue, as with most issues that get raised on this sub-forum.

Cool rant, though.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:16 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
Cynical as this may sound, 1) I believe people lose their minds when they fall in love. So great is their desire to keep that special person in their lives that they will agree to things they didn't necessarily want (eg marriage or children). Some people, female people in particular, think of this as 'moving forward' or 'taking the relationship to the next level.' 2) The terms I'd use for it are rather less complimentary and best left to the imagination.

Considering the state humans have left the planet in, 3) I think having children is downright unethical. I also can't imagine wanting someone in my life, let alone changing my entire belief system to make sure they stick around. Thank God a wheelchair reduces the social and family pressure to meet someone, settle down 4) and perpetuate the whole wretched cycle. I'll have no part of it.
1) My guess is that you've never done so and/or no one's every fallen in love with you .

2) Thank you!

3) As you will! You do know what is said about opinions, don't you?

4) Good! You do us a kindness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships