Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 06:59 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,927,776 times

Advertisements

then to have never loved at all? (im talking about marriage)

Do you think its better to have married someone you loved and ended up divorcing, or to never marry someone?

Obviously this is a personal question so there is no right answer, Id just like to hear what you guys think. I sincerely want to believe in marriage but it really frightens me when i think about how south things can go...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 07:04 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times
If I get married in the future, I will view my wedding vows as sacred and inviolable. The only legitimate justifications for a divorce, IMO, are either adultery or physical/etc. abuse. Whatever other conflicts that a wife and husband have, I have very high hopes they can be worked out or made better.

"For better of worse, till death do us part" -- I want these wedding vows words, to mean something real, if / when I get married Marriage IMO is a sacred and beautiful thing.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:09 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorhe33 View Post

Do you think its better to have married someone you loved and ended up divorcing, or to never marry someone?

Obviously this is a personal question so there is no right answer, Id just like to hear what you guys think. I sincerely want to believe in marriage but it really frightens me when i think about how south things can go...
Things can go bad whether you are married or not; there are no guarantees. However, the more time a couple devotes to getting to know each other; ensuring they have similar interests, beliefs, values, respects each other; are tolerant; honest and sincere.....and most of all, that they like and respect themselves as well - the better their odds are for a healthy relationship.

Anyone who is looking for a successful marriage will avoid anyone who is addicted to drugs/alcohol, and/or is abusive.

We can't look to someone else to 'make' us happy; that comes from within; however, being with the right person enhances our life.

I prefer to go it solo than be with the wrong person; and being lonely with someone is the worse kind of lonely.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:23 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:

As you said, this is a personal question. Everybody is different, so there is no single answer that will fit unmarried people, people who have been married a short while, people with children, people in the middle of a bitter divorce, etc.

For me, if we ever divorced (God forbid), I would have been glad of the experience. I have grown a lot as a person as the result of my marriage, and I have three children as a result. If we had never married, my life would have been different--probably very different. I wouldn't want to miss out on my experiences or my children.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:41 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Nobody has done both with the same person, so it's really hard to say.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:00 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,427,075 times
Depends on the extent of the damage in regards to the loss

Old 06-22-2011, 08:53 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:

I can't help thinking that if you marry someone you love you won't end up divorcing....Marriage is really just a legal name for commitment....it's a tradition, and can't really strengthen a bond that's not already there....Sure, some "go south"....but others just get higher, and higher.....It takes many years of respect, compromise , curtesy and trust to reach that high, but it's definately worth the pursuit.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:00 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times
I can love someone without being married, but I'm going to make damn sure we can make it all the way before I give her a ring. Divorces are a mess at best, and will literally ruin your life at the worst. I've seen others' divorces and been a child to a nasty divorce and it sickens me beyond belief. I will not let my life go down that path (then again, I'm not the type to cheat while apparently most of America is). For me it's not just about being in love, but being in love WITH THE RIGHT PERSON. I won't settle for anything less. In doing so, I realize that I also need to be someone else's "right person". Commitment is a two-way street and it would be wrong not to hold myself to my own standards.

I'm young with only a small amount of relationship experience, but I know what I want and I believe myself to be mature enough to find it. Love isn't the only reason I will propose someday because in my mind there has got to be so much more.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:05 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
For me it's not just about being in love, but being in love WITH THE RIGHT PERSON.
Just about everybody thought so beforehand!

Old 06-22-2011, 10:06 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Just about everybody thought so beforehand!
I know, that's what scares me . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships