U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 06-26-2011, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Middle America
18,198 posts, read 15,658,532 times
Reputation: 21295

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Repubocrat...I stayed single too....and loved it!....then I got married...and love it more...To each his own...if being single agrees with you ,great...but it sounds kinda foolish when you say marriage sucks, and you've never been married.
True...I loved my single years, and I love not being single. Same kinda deal.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-26-2011, 10:01 AM
 
8,681 posts, read 7,787,542 times
Reputation: 14954
I'm divorced and I call shenanigans on this thread. When people are that strident about things they've never experienced, it nearly always means they are coming from a place of sour grapes. In the OP's case, nearly every thread he makes in the Relationships forum is to complain about, denigrate, put down, castigate, or belittle women and relationships.

Why? Because he has no success with them.

As I said in the thread that has since been pulled, just because smart, beautiful, witty, well-educated, desirable women aren't interested in committing to you, that doesn't mean we don't exist.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2011, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Iowa, Heartland of Murica
3,195 posts, read 3,309,222 times
Reputation: 3061
My main issue with marriage and having kids is the fact that they are mostly irrational choices, I majored in Economics and I am sure I think like an economist but before I make any decisions, I always weigh the pros and cons.

If marriage is failing more than 50% of the time, I just do not see it as a "smart choice", it is like saying, hey, I have an investment opportunity for you, give me 100K and I will try to double your money, however, most of the time, you will lose everything!

I was in a long term relationship (6 years), a near perfect relationship, we ended the relationship amicably mostly because we had different long term goals, she is still one of my best friends and we hardly ever argued.

However, during these 6 years I was able to see all the things that suck about being together for a long time, the lack of passion and excitement, a very slow sex life after 5 years (nothing like it was in the beginning), and at some point, being together was more like a convenience.

I can only imagine how much it would suck to be in marriage where there is constant conflict, alcoholism, kids, cheating, no sex, financial difficulties, I did not experience any of that, and it still sucked
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2011, 10:05 AM
 
31 posts, read 16,028 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
My main issue with marriage and having kids is the fact that they are mostly irrational choices, I majored in Economics and I am sure I think like an economist but before I make any decisions, I always weigh the pros and cons.

If marriage is failing more than 50% of the time, I just do not see it as a "smart choice", it is like saying, hey, I have an investment opportunity for you, give me 100K and I will try to double your money, however, most of the time, you will lose everything!

I was in a long term relationship (6 years), a near perfect relationship, we ended the relationship amicably mostly because we had different long term goals, she is still one of my best friends and we hardly ever argued.

However, during these 6 years I was able to see all the things that suck about being together for a long time, the lack of passion and excitement, a very slow sex life after 5 years (nothing like it was in the beginning), and at some point, being together was more like a convenience.

I can only imagine how much it would suck to be in marriage where there is constant conflict, alcoholism, kids, cheating, financial difficulties, I did not experience any of that, and it still sucked
you seem a very negative man. do not get married then. no one is making you do it
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2011, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth, TX
9,400 posts, read 7,982,500 times
Reputation: 6070
"Being married sucks
...
I have never been married"

The man speaks from experience, folks!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2011, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Wherever women are
19,022 posts, read 14,493,812 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
I'm divorced and I call shenanigans on this thread. When people are that strident about things they've never experienced, it nearly always means they are coming from a place of sour grapes. In the OP's case, nearly every thread he makes in the Relationships forum is to complain about, denigrate, put down, castigate, or belittle women and relationships.

Why? Because he has no success with them.

As I said in the thread that has since been pulled, just because smart, beautiful, witty, well-educated, desirable women aren't interested in committing to you, that doesn't mean we don't exist.
You got that one, right
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2011, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Tucson
42,843 posts, read 54,857,697 times
Reputation: 22812
That's all fine and dandy; I just don't understand why you feel the need to engage everybody in tirades about your choice.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2011, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Katonah, NY
16,504 posts, read 8,950,760 times
Reputation: 16525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
My main issue with marriage and having kids is the fact that they are mostly irrational choices, I majored in Economics and I am sure I think like an economist but before I make any decisions, I always weigh the pros and cons.

If marriage is failing more than 50% of the time, I just do not see it as a "smart choice", it is like saying, hey, I have an investment opportunity for you, give me 100K and I will try to double your money, however, most of the time, you will lose everything!

I was in a long term relationship (6 years), a near perfect relationship, we ended the relationship amicably mostly because we had different long term goals, she is still one of my best friends and we hardly ever argued.

However, during these 6 years I was able to see all the things that suck about being together for a long time, the lack of passion and excitement, a very slow sex life after 5 years (nothing like it was in the beginning), and at some point, being together was more like a convenience.

I can only imagine how much it would suck to be in marriage where there is constant conflict, alcoholism, kids, cheating, financial difficulties, I did not experience any of that, and it still sucked
So - you had one long-term relationship and now you are convinced that marriage sucks?

Did it ever occur to you that perhaps lack of passion and excitement, lack of a sex life, being together because of convenience means that you actually had a bad relationship instead of a near perfect one? A perfect relationship does not mean you never fight. It does not mean that you are merely comfortable with each other. Every single day - I love my husband more and more. Every single day, we make each other laugh. Every single day, I can't wait to kiss him. Every single day, I'm so grateful that he is in my life. It's not boring. It's not just convenient. We have passion. We have excitement. We fight and we make up. Life is a journey and he makes every single day better.

Honestly, I don't know why I'm bothering to try to explain any of this to you. You don't start a thread titled "Being married sucks!" if you are looking for real answers.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2011, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Iowa, Heartland of Murica
3,195 posts, read 3,309,222 times
Reputation: 3061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post

Why? Because he has no success with them.
If I had no success with women, I would be the one trying desperately to get married, like many stupid guys out there. No thanks, I enjoy having female friends and casual relationships for now. It works for me, I can still have my freedom to do whatever I want without the nagging and all the BS that comes with being with someone.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2011, 10:11 AM
 
31 posts, read 16,028 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
If I had no success with women, I would be the one trying desperately to get married, like many stupid guys out there. No thanks, I enjoy having female friends and casual relationships for now. It works for me, I can still have my freedom to do whatever I want without the nagging and all the BS that comes with being with someone.

Yeap.... You sound like a dream come true. Please do not get married. Do not spare women of such charm (insert sarcasm here)
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top