U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 08:57 AM

17,380 posts, read 14,527,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Repubocrat...I stayed single too....and loved it!....then I got married...and love it more...To each his own...if being single agrees with you ,great...but it sounds kinda foolish when you say marriage sucks, and you've never been married.
True...I loved my single years, and I love not being single. Same kinda deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 09:01 AM

8,681 posts, read 7,431,924 times
I'm divorced and I call shenanigans on this thread. When people are that strident about things they've never experienced, it nearly always means they are coming from a place of sour grapes. In the OP's case, nearly every thread he makes in the Relationships forum is to complain about, denigrate, put down, castigate, or belittle women and relationships.

Why? Because he has no success with them.

As I said in the thread that has since been pulled, just because smart, beautiful, witty, well-educated, desirable women aren't interested in committing to you, that doesn't mean we don't exist.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:02 AM

3,156 posts, read 3,166,078 times
My main issue with marriage and having kids is the fact that they are mostly irrational choices, I majored in Economics and I am sure I think like an economist but before I make any decisions, I always weigh the pros and cons.

If marriage is failing more than 50% of the time, I just do not see it as a "smart choice", it is like saying, hey, I have an investment opportunity for you, give me 100K and I will try to double your money, however, most of the time, you will lose everything!

I was in a long term relationship (6 years), a near perfect relationship, we ended the relationship amicably mostly because we had different long term goals, she is still one of my best friends and we hardly ever argued.

However, during these 6 years I was able to see all the things that suck about being together for a long time, the lack of passion and excitement, a very slow sex life after 5 years (nothing like it was in the beginning), and at some point, being together was more like a convenience.

I can only imagine how much it would suck to be in marriage where there is constant conflict, alcoholism, kids, cheating, no sex, financial difficulties, I did not experience any of that, and it still sucked

Old 06-26-2011, 09:05 AM

31 posts, read 15,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
My main issue with marriage and having kids is the fact that they are mostly irrational choices, I majored in Economics and I am sure I think like an economist but before I make any decisions, I always weigh the pros and cons.

If marriage is failing more than 50% of the time, I just do not see it as a "smart choice", it is like saying, hey, I have an investment opportunity for you, give me 100K and I will try to double your money, however, most of the time, you will lose everything!

I was in a long term relationship (6 years), a near perfect relationship, we ended the relationship amicably mostly because we had different long term goals, she is still one of my best friends and we hardly ever argued.

However, during these 6 years I was able to see all the things that suck about being together for a long time, the lack of passion and excitement, a very slow sex life after 5 years (nothing like it was in the beginning), and at some point, being together was more like a convenience.

I can only imagine how much it would suck to be in marriage where there is constant conflict, alcoholism, kids, cheating, financial difficulties, I did not experience any of that, and it still sucked
you seem a very negative man. do not get married then. no one is making you do it

Old 06-26-2011, 09:07 AM

9,400 posts, read 7,624,756 times
"Being married sucks
I have never been married"

The man speaks from experience, folks!

Old 06-26-2011, 09:07 AM

19,023 posts, read 13,779,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
I'm divorced and I call shenanigans on this thread. When people are that strident about things they've never experienced, it nearly always means they are coming from a place of sour grapes. In the OP's case, nearly every thread he makes in the Relationships forum is to complain about, denigrate, put down, castigate, or belittle women and relationships.

As I said in the thread that has since been pulled, just because smart, beautiful, witty, well-educated, desirable women aren't interested in committing to you, that doesn't mean we don't exist.
You got that one, right

Old 06-26-2011, 09:08 AM

42,846 posts, read 53,342,650 times
That's all fine and dandy; I just don't understand why you feel the need to engage everybody in tirades about your choice.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:09 AM

15,959 posts, read 8,272,227 times
Quote:

I can only imagine how much it would suck to be in marriage where there is constant conflict, alcoholism, kids, cheating, financial difficulties, I did not experience any of that, and it still sucked
So - you had one long-term relationship and now you are convinced that marriage sucks?

Did it ever occur to you that perhaps lack of passion and excitement, lack of a sex life, being together because of convenience means that you actually had a bad relationship instead of a near perfect one? A perfect relationship does not mean you never fight. It does not mean that you are merely comfortable with each other. Every single day - I love my husband more and more. Every single day, we make each other laugh. Every single day, I can't wait to kiss him. Every single day, I'm so grateful that he is in my life. It's not boring. It's not just convenient. We have passion. We have excitement. We fight and we make up. Life is a journey and he makes every single day better.

Honestly, I don't know why I'm bothering to try to explain any of this to you. You don't start a thread titled "Being married sucks!" if you are looking for real answers.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:09 AM

3,156 posts, read 3,166,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post

If I had no success with women, I would be the one trying desperately to get married, like many stupid guys out there. No thanks, I enjoy having female friends and casual relationships for now. It works for me, I can still have my freedom to do whatever I want without the nagging and all the BS that comes with being with someone.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:11 AM

31 posts, read 15,324 times
Quote:
If I had no success with women, I would be the one trying desperately to get married, like many stupid guys out there. No thanks, I enjoy having female friends and casual relationships for now. It works for me, I can still have my freedom to do whatever I want without the nagging and all the BS that comes with being with someone.

Yeap.... You sound like a dream come true. Please do not get married. Do not spare women of such charm (insert sarcasm here)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships