Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 01:26 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Men do it, too.

Ye gods, with the stupidity.
I would tend to think that logically, the courts allow that to happen with much less frequency, than the reverse scenario.

Divorce laws do not favor the man...pure and simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 01:29 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,279,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But the thing is, both people suffer financially in a divorce. It's not necessarily worse for men than it is for women. There's still this pervasive idea that when a divorce happens, the man has to give up half of "his stuff." No, they were married, and it was *their stuff*. She lost half of it, too.
Or she gained half of what she didn't even break a sweat for. Remember, men are NORMALLY the ones that earn more.

Imagine you invest 80% while your partner 20%. Then you have a disagreement with your partner and that partner ends up taking half of the investment. Not sure if you would be totally fine about it.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:30 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
In a marriage you shouldn't be keeping score like that. It's a team effort and a partnership.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:31 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times
Quote:
But the thing is, both people suffer financially in a divorce. It's not necessarily worse for men than it is for women. There's still this pervasive idea that when a divorce happens, the man has to give up half of "his stuff." No, they were married, and it was *their stuff*. She lost half of it, too.
True...you have a good point there...

Of course, this is also material possessions -- but having to pay alimony and/or child support (and all fathers definitely *should* have to pay child support) on top of that can cause the ex-husband's standard of living to plummet enormously.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
In a marriage you shouldn't be keeping score like that. It's a team effort and a partnership.
That's right. You don't keep score when everything is just fine. But when divorce comes that is what happens and men end up handing their ex half of what they worked for even when there are no children in the picture.

Just imagine it was a woman who brought the most in marriage and ended up handing her exhusband (who was, say, a gardener) half of what she worked for. See what I mean? But then again, normally, it is men who earn more in a marriage. Just wanted to give an example the other way around.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:35 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
In a marriage you shouldn't be keeping score like that. It's a team effort.
Yep. My husband makes more than I do because I help him do it. He's going back to school to get his degree, which will help him get a promotion at work. Who's picking up the slack while he's there? Who helps him with his homework and makes sure he has quiet time to study? Who helped him get the job he has now, the one with the nice educational reimbursement package? That would be me.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:35 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
I'm sorry since I don't mean to deliberately offend anyone, but somehow methinks the ladies putting forth the view that men do not drastically suffer financially when a divorce occurs are somewhat shortsighted and/or overpartial to their respective gender
Don't look at me. I didn't say men don't suffer. Only that it's not quite the lopsided scenario the OP and a few others are portraying. Both parties feel it in the wallet. Overall, however, women tend to feel it more, especially if there are kids involved.

And when there aren't, what Fleetie said nail it. Divorce among equals tends to be equitable unless one party did something wrong.

It's all moot with the "woe be unto men for the wicked evil women will bleed us dry" crowd. No one is going to marry someone like that anyway. Bitterness like that is dang near palpable.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:39 PM

Not sure how law works in the USA but do women also get legal perks if they are the ones who cheated? That is, do the still get to keep half of what the husband brought to the marriage, alimony, child support, etc.? Or does it depend on the state?

Old 06-30-2011, 01:40 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Yep. My husband makes more than I do because I help him do it. He's going back to school to get his degree, which will help him get a promotion at work. Who's picking up the slack while he's there? Who helps him with his homework and makes sure he has quiet time to study? Who helped him get the job he has now, the one with the nice educational reimbursement package? That would be me.
Sing it! Many, MANY women do the same. But that is another point lost on the "woe be unto men" crowd.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:41 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Not sure how law works in the USA but do women also get legal perks if they are the ones who cheated? That is, do the still get to keep half of what the husband brought to the marriage, alimony, child support, etc.? Or does it depend on the state?
I believe most states are no-fault, but others here are more knowledgeable.

Child support has nothing to do with anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships