U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-26-2011, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Middle America
35,802 posts, read 39,223,707 times
Reputation: 48593

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
My main issue with marriage and having kids is the fact that they are mostly irrational choices.
Irrational for who? You? Could be. But you can't really speak for anybody else with any authority, of course.

One needn't be an economist to be cognizant of pros and cons of various choices.

It's unfortunate for you that your long-term relationship went stale, but, needless to say, this isn't everyone's experience. It's yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-26-2011, 11:17 AM
 
Location: 112 Ocean Avenue
5,706 posts, read 7,880,200 times
Reputation: 8868
Many people know that certain types of mushrooms can be deadly, but what they fail to realize, is the most dangerous food in the world is a wedding cake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2011, 11:55 AM
 
Location: The Hall of Justice
25,907 posts, read 34,903,429 times
Reputation: 42368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
If marriage is failing more than 50% of the time, I just do not see it as a "smart choice", it is like saying, hey, I have an investment opportunity for you, give me 100K and I will try to double your money, however, most of the time, you will lose everything!
The divorce rate is not and never has been over 50%. It peaked around 40% in the 80s and has been declining ever since. I think it's around 35% now. It's still not great, but it's not the 50% urban legend that's so often repeated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I was in a long term relationship (6 years), a near perfect relationship, we ended the relationship amicably mostly because we had different long term goals, she is still one of my best friends and we hardly ever argued.
Hey, same here! We got along very well, but the relationship fizzled out. We were just going different places. Instead of giving up, though, we eventually married other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
However, during these 6 years I was able to see all the things that suck about being together for a long time, the lack of passion and excitement, a very slow sex life after 5 years (nothing like it was in the beginning), and at some point, being together was more like a convenience.
I'm sorry, but that sounds dreadful, not "nearly perfect" as you said. Life is too short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I can only imagine how much it would suck to be in marriage where there is constant conflict, alcoholism, kids, cheating, no sex, financial difficulties, I did not experience any of that, and it still sucked
What happened to nearly perfect? What you need is a good relationship for a change. Maybe you'd change your mind--who knows? But like others said, just because it sucked for you doesn't mean it sucks for the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2011, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Blankity-blank!
11,450 posts, read 13,895,583 times
Reputation: 6875
People marry so that for the first year they can have sex without feeling dirty, immoral, and guilty.
After the first year the marriage becomes a routine, habit, a rut.
But they stary married because of social values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2011, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Back in the gym...Yo Adrian!
9,371 posts, read 17,460,760 times
Reputation: 18346
All depends on whether you marry the right one. Marry the right one and you are thankful for each day you have with one another. Marry the wrong one and each day is a prison sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2011, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Middle America
35,802 posts, read 39,223,707 times
Reputation: 48593
Not everyone feels dirty, immoral or guilty about sex. I guess if you do, you have bigger and deeper problems than the single v. married debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2011, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Katonah, NY
21,199 posts, read 20,064,782 times
Reputation: 22091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
People marry so that for the first year they can have sex without feeling dirty, immoral, and guilty.
After the first year the marriage becomes a routine, habit, a rut.
But they stary married because of social values.
That's not true! I was just as happy living in sin as when we made it official. I have never felt dirty, immoral, or guilty about sex. What have I felt about it? Satisfied!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2011, 12:06 PM
 
16,566 posts, read 18,861,497 times
Reputation: 6714
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Repubocrat...I stayed single too....and loved it!....then I got married...and love it more...To each his own...if being single agrees with you ,great...but it sounds kinda foolish when you say marriage sucks, and you've never been married.
I think it sucks for him... cause he never met anyone he wanted to marry... that's pretty sad for him... to never met someone that you can say I want to grow old with you... that's a tragedy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2011, 12:11 PM
 
19,081 posts, read 21,160,222 times
Reputation: 13392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
People marry so that for the first year they can have sex without feeling dirty, immoral, and guilty.
After the first year the marriage becomes a routine, habit, a rut.
But they stary married because of social values.
Speak for yourself.

And really, what is up with all you people trying to speak for others you don't even know? It's weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2011, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Blankity-blank!
11,450 posts, read 13,895,583 times
Reputation: 6875

YouTube - ‪MARRIGE SUCKS!!!!‬‏
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:06 AM.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top