U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 12:36 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,409,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
This is my conclusion, I am 34, single, no kids, never been married, probably never will, I don't even understand why people in the USA are so obsessed with this very antiquated concept.

Some of the brightest people I know around my age are not married either and truly enjoying life, I have a friend who is extremely smart and educated and she has no desire to get married or have kids.

I am far from being wealthy but just because I am not married or have kids, I have enough money to do most of the things I love like traveling.

I don't even understand why most people get married anyways, it seems like most people do it because they have been pressured to do it by someone else or because society "expects" them do it, I could care less about what people or society "expect" from me.

Anyways, I would love to know some of the "rational" reasons why people get married.
If you've never been married, how would you know for sure that it sucks?

Anyway, I'm recently married, and I admit, there was once a time when I never saw myself married. I saw it as a hassle. I wanted freedom.

But I did find a great partner, and I knew I wanted to keep her for as long as I could. I take my marriage one day at a time. I know things can change as we get older, but so far, so good. I don't regret a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 12:58 PM

4,489 posts, read 9,191,668 times
Getting married was the best decision I ever made. Together, my husband and I have accomplished things in our lives we never would have been able to do apart. We enhance each other, support each other, and complement each others' strengths.

It's not for everyone, but it's a wonderful joy to those who work towards a successful marriage.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:35 PM

12,153 posts, read 14,252,319 times
Quote:
I without the nagging and all the BS that comes with being with someone.
.................................................Y ou're wrong about that .................

Old 06-26-2011, 03:38 PM

12,672 posts, read 20,295,808 times
Quote:
This is my conclusion, I am 34, single, no kids, never been married, probably never will, I don't even understand why people in the USA are so obsessed with this very antiquated concept.

Some of the brightest people I know around my age are not married either and truly enjoying life, I have a friend who is extremely smart and educated and she has no desire to get married or have kids.

I am far from being wealthy but just because I am not married or have kids, I have enough money to do most of the things I love like traveling.

I don't even understand why most people get married anyways, it seems like most people do it because they have been pressured to do it by someone else or because society "expects" them do it, I could care less about what people or society "expect" from me.

Anyways, I would love to know some of the "rational" reasons why people get married.
I agree, its just piece of paper. Its great to have someone though.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:40 PM

5,387 posts, read 6,172,151 times
IMO, the very best reason to be married is is to have the blessing of someone's permanent and unconditional love. As the wedding vows say, "Till death do us part"...and beyond To be able to love and cherish someone, for always, with all one's heart.

Quote:

Old 06-26-2011, 03:42 PM

5,653 posts, read 6,484,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Being a man sucks! I'm not a man but I know so many unhappy men that it must absolutely suck!

Being single sucks! I'm not single but I see so many bitter, unhappy, whiney single people that it must absolutely suck!

Get my point?
The same can be said about women.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:42 PM

88 posts, read 230,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I think it sucks for him... cause he never met anyone he wanted to marry... that's pretty sad for him... to never met someone that you can say I want to grow old with you... that's a tragedy...
I think that's rubbish. I don't say marriage sucks, even though I have to agree it's quite an irrational choice from a rational point of view.

I've never had a relationship at 41 and I don't think it's a tragedy. It's just the way it is and you move on. It's not my fault nor anyone's fault. I will still get up to go to work tomorrow.

Like I said, I can't speak from experience but I don't despise marriage because I'm not married and other people's marriages don't bother me. Sure, my brother goes through things with his wife and his kids that I could never bear. But if he's okay with it, why should I question that?

Old 06-26-2011, 03:43 PM

45,270 posts, read 85,146,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
The same can be said about women.
You completely missed her point.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:49 PM

45,270 posts, read 85,146,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
.................................................Y ou're wrong about that .................

Of course he is, all reasonable people here know that. Sadly, he is too damaged to "get" it though

I have come to the conclusion that some people just cannot be saved.

And I cannot waste my time or energy giving them hope or information they are too wounded to even realize they need and therefore reject.

It just is what it is.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:53 PM

7,508 posts, read 3,550,802 times
Someone said on the forum that marriage is about teamwork. If you're married and it's all about you, I don't see how your marriage is going to last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or