Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 08:01 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times

Advertisements

Well, he's still short...lol

Old 06-30-2011, 09:25 PM

330 posts, read 599,050 times
I am a 5'4 male. Though I am not sure I want to go the whole leg lenthening russian surgery thing, he is correct on the height issue. It has been proven OVER and OVER that women simply like taller men. I've got "game" or "confidence" but I have to work MUCH harder than the average man. Dating sites? Forget it, almost all women look for 5'8' and higher. I am simply not taken seriously in the dating area. Are women shallow for wanting a taller man, maybe and maybe not. But it is what they want. NOT all women but most. I have worked hard on my cofidence and many other areas of my life to overcome what I am, and am not. And please I am not calling myself a victim I am simply pointing out my life experience. If the surgery was a bit cheaper, and in the usa I would definitly do it. Oh and I like to keep myself real so I will NEVER do Platform shoes or elevator shoes.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:37 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,259 times
3 inches for $26K is a rip-off.

For $26K you should expect them to make you 8 foot 11 like Robert Wadlow was. At 8 foot 11, you'd automatically become the most desirable man in America.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:37 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,821,659 times
I'm probably a bit older than the average in here, and over my life I've made two observations that seem relevant to this thread.

During my life, I've lived for extended periods in America, Wales and Norway, as well as shorter periods in other countries. Now these countries have fairly different average heights. The average in America is probably 2-3 inches shorter than Norway, and Wales is 1-2 inches below that again.

And as a man, this makes for a noticable difference in the way women look at you. Travelling from Norway to Wales is about equivalent to adding 4 inches or so. It doesn't make as much of a difference as the OP posts, but it is noticable. I suppose the OP got a big confidence boost along with the surgery, synergizing with the height.

Now, if you acre as tall as SwedishViking pretends to be, or short like 4'6", I suppose it might not matter. Because you' wouldn't change category, you'd still be in the "very tall" or "very short" category. But If you're something like 5'8", a 4-5 inch difference in the average height around you if quite significant.

Oh, and the second thing I've learned is never to pay attention to what women say they want in a man, and instead look at what they actually do go for. Because the difference is often massive.

Oh, and many airlines require flight attendants to be tall enough to reach into the overhead luggage comparments.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:48 AM

142 posts, read 345,254 times
the-writer-guy, I am simply sharing my story. You are spot on. Those who are average height or tall simply have no clue because it is something they REALLY NEVER HAVE TO THINK ABOUT. For them being taller is a "it would be cool to be" and not "survival" for the purpose of living a pretty typical life. When I was 5'6, it was about looking from the outside in. It's very different when you're the victim of teasing regularly, whenever you meet a new group and knowing that you're not taken seriously. You're forever defined by your height and most people would never let you forget it whether directly or indirectly.

For me, when I wore elevators, it was an experiment to see if I was going a little crazy, and the way I was treated with them on was verification that it wasn't in my head. Having LL for me was a quality of life issue. No amount of confidence in the world generally speaking would've changed my condition. Being short was never my problem, it was the problem of everyone else, and since I had to deal with people day to day it became my problem. Didn't matter the group of people I was around, unless I was around a bunch of people who were my former height, and that was rare.

As I said, at about 5'9 now, I just blend in with the crowd. I have yet to have someone tease or joke on my height, and when it comes, it would just be silly, not the cold truth. When a 5'10 guy or a 6'2 guy who has family members who are 6'7 kidding around calling them short and taking shots, its a joke. Height is never questioned, you're still taller than just about everyone, and THAT isn't going to be your dealbreaker. People take you more seriously in the workplace and in life in general.

You see all of these politicians and people in the media, especially men who are well below average, their opponents will use their lack of height to question their credibility, divert attention from their message and throw their focus on that and then the short guy is always the joke. It shouldn't be that way, but it is, and that won't change anytime soon.

I would never go back to my former height if I could. I have never been happier

@ ZOOMZOOM3, I don't have to be 8 ft tall or even 6'. Now I'm just a regular guy, get respect and blend in. That's all I ever need!
@ The Grim-Reader - Spot on. Always hear "I dated a man 5'4, but my husband is 6'". "Its all about confidence, I would date a short confident man if I had the opportunity, but my current boyfriend is 5'11 and I love it". Lol. It's all a crock. My life now and lack of struggle is because I am taken more SERIOUSLY". The WAY I am turned down if I am is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. You can see it in a woman's eyes and body language.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:03 AM

37,127 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Oh, and many airlines require flight attendants to be tall enough to reach into the overhead luggage comparments.
Haha on my last flight the attendant was a short gal who literally had to jump up to shut the overhead bin doors.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:16 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
I saw a special on this procedure. It looks VERY painful. I would do it if it were not for risk and the extreme pain. I wish I was the height in flat feet as I am in heels. I am going to stick to wishing though. LOL

Congrats on your new height!

Old 07-01-2011, 07:45 AM

142 posts, read 345,254 times
Thank you! I feel awesome being taller than I was in elevators, and in shoes, I'm almost 5'10

Old 07-01-2011, 07:50 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
I don't believe one bit of this.
I do......

There was a clip about it on 60 Minutes last year.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:19 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,090,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooga Booga View Post
I had Leg Lengthening about a year and a half ago. I was 28, and was frustrated at my natural height of 5'6. It is no secret that women prefer taller men and that shorter people are generally not taken seriously. I hopped on a flight to Kurgan, Russia, had a consultation with doctors, and then spent $26,000 to have my legs cut, bones stretched apart, consolidate and then harden. I now stand at close to 5'9 (but say 5'8).

This difference in height of going from below average to average is like night and day. Women smile at me more when I am out and about, people, men and women approach me differently with first impression and while I am not tall, I generally feel as though I get more respect. I can walk, have no pains (anymore), and life is back to normal. I go back to Russia in two months to have the internal rods taken out, and my scars are virtually invisble. My proportions are great because pre surgery, my arms were slightly longer naturally (by about 2.5 cm).

While I do not recommend this surgery, I met many Americans (male and female) there who were there for the same procedure. While I had the company of international patients who spoke English, beautiful russian women, and of course my laptop and x-box, this whole experience is something I will never forget, and has done nothing but good for me.

While rejection is imminent, I rarely get rejected because of height off the bat anymore, women don't take attitudes when I approach them (like in a nightclub), my overall quality of life has improved.
OK..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships