Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 06:42 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,936,282 times

Advertisements

This thread has suddenly become much more interesting.

I had no idea Shirley Jones was in the Music Man. I've only seen the Music Man live in the theater (college productions, not the original broadway), not the movies. I grew up listening to the record of the Music Man, though, so I know all the tunes very well. But I never knew it was Shirley Jones singing !

Shirley Jones is, in my opinion, one of the most attractive actresses of all time. My favorite one that she is in is Carousel. I'm a hopeless romantic, so I'm always brought to tears when she sings "Common sense may tell you that the ending will be sad, and now's the time to break and run away". I even dreamed about that song once, but I got a couple things mixed up, and it was actually Will from Oklahoma singing that song to Shirely Jones in my dream (another movie in which Shirley Jones & Gordon MacRae were a couple) !

Anyhow, neither librarian looks quite like Shirely Jones, but I like them anyways. But I'm too scared ! (And Mr. Humble's last post about her calling security made me shiver in my boots ).

I'm sorry I started this thread, because I'll never get the courage to talk to her, but I enjoyed talking about 40s/50s musicals !

Last edited by Davros; 06-30-2011 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: 40s/50s musicals, 50s/60s film versions :)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 07:09 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
I'm thinking of asking out a librarian that I've been into for a couple of years now. She seems really shy. I can't tell if she likes me or not.

I was thinking of just giving her my phone number in case she wants to talk to me sometime she's off work.

But I'm afraid that bothering an employee of the library would not only be wrong (people are at work to work, not to get asked out or otherwise bothered), but would get me banned from the library.

Actually, there are two librarians that I'm kind of into. One of them seems to be more into me than the other. But maybe she only smiled to be friendly.
In this sort of situation, when I was single, ideally I would have a friend ask one of the *other* librarians if the one you are interested in might like to meet you. In a pinch, I would ask the other librarian myself, but I would tell the white lie that I was asking on behalf of a friend.

You really want to limit the use of the 2nd technique. If you do it repeatedly in the same general area, in the same group of girls (and you don't know who knows who here, just trust me that they all have very wide circles that they talk in, and they talk about relationships a lot) you may get found out.

When you are manuvering to try to find a date, let Sun Tzu's teachings be your guide..

Old 06-30-2011, 11:12 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
When you are manuvering to try to find a date, let Sun Tzu's teachings be your guide..
  • All war is based on deception
  • Confront them with annihilation, and they will then survive; plunge them into a deadly situation, and they will then live. When people fall into danger, they are then able to strive for victory.
  • It is essential to seek out enemy agents who have come to conduct espionage against you and to bribe them to serve you. Give them instructions and care for them. Thus doubled agents are recruited and used.
  • Secret operations are essential in war; upon them the army relies to make its every move.

Yeah, way to pick up a librarian ... or any woman, for that matter.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:51 PM

Default How do I give the librarian my number

I'm a patron of a library. I want to ask out a librarian.

So, when the librarian is sitting at the desk, suppose I have my phone number written out on a slip of paper. What do I do, say, go up to her, say, "hey, if you want to talk to me sometime when you're not at work ..," give her the slip of paper and leave ? Or does that sound too weird ? Is it better to just ask her out for a lunch or something right there at the desk ? I don't drink coffee, so I'm not asking her to coffee, I know that's the standard line. I'm scared of doing this. I wanted to do it but I know I'm never going to. I've actually wanted to do this for 2 years, off and on. It's on right now, but I'm too scared. What do I do ? I know this is never going to happen. I'm such a coward.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:55 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,106,783 times
Quote:
What do I do, say, go up to her, say, "hey, if you want to talk to me sometime when you're not at work ..," give her the slip of paper and leave ?
No.

Quote:
Is it better to just ask her out for a lunch or something right there at the desk ?
Yes.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vanderburgh View Post
Yes.
No way I can do that. Not going to happen. I just need to stop paying any attention to her. I can't just ask her out right there at the desk in front of everybody. No way, no how.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:00 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,106,783 times
Quote:
No way I can do that. Not going to happen. I just need to stop paying any attention to her. I can't just ask her out right there at the desk in front of everybody. No way, no how.
Is there ever a time when there aren't many people around?

Old 07-06-2011, 03:00 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Do you already have a rapport with this woman, or have you just been eying her from across the room?

Quote:
I don't drink coffee, so I'm not asking her to coffee, I know that's the standard line.
Cafes sell other beverages besides coffee. It's a standard line because it's low-key and low-commitment for both of you. Get a tea or a soda or a juice and chat.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:02 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Be clever. Say something about how you've found something interesting and literary that you'd like to 'check out.' Promise you'll bring it back before the due date...

Old 07-06-2011, 03:03 PM

180 posts, read 408,817 times
she's a person like anyone else.... librarian or not, talk to her like a regular person regardless of her being at work... don't go over the top because, afterall, she is at work and you have to be respectful of that but just because she's at work doesn't mean you can't just talk to her and ask her out.

having your number written out ahead of time is kind of creepy....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships