Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 10:53 AM

31,013 posts, read 22,051,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Oh, and I refuse to belong to any church; DH LIKES my independence and ability to think for myself!
Good for you. My impression from my upbringing in the Church was similar. Hypocrits galour! Anyone with children who continues to tolerate the kind of abuse you went through is creating another generation of abusive and abused men and woman. Congrats on the escape!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 01:36 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,553,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I knew 6 months after the wedding. Before that, I blamed it on being young, stupid, and blind.
Took me 5 years to get a divorce. Every time I left him, or showed up with bruises/broken bones, the leadership of my church informed me that it was my fault, that I was too independent and intractable, that I should submit myself to my husband. Finally, the church paid for psychological counseling, from their own church psychologist - they wanted to prove to me that I was the problem and 'get me help to change'. After the Personality Profile tests, the shrink met with me privately. "He is going to kill you if you stay with him. He is mentally unbalanced and a psychopath; has no ability to feel emotions." Of course he didn't/couldn't tell the church his conclusions... I divorced the bum and hauled bootie; the church excommunicated me. He stalked me and the children for two years, untl I met my current DH who told him to go away and not bother us. Since my ex never paid child support (the church told him not to so I would be forced to return to him) my DH adopted the children, and we have been married now for 29 years...

Oh, and I refuse to belong to any church; DH LIKES my independence and ability to think for myself!
This disgusts me.

I am glad you made it out alive and found someone good.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:00 PM

37 posts, read 60,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
When she went out and bought bath towels with her & next on 'em.
I'm a bit slow...I don't get this.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:05 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertman_AZ View Post
I'm a bit slow...I don't get this.
Think about it. A revolving door of men per chance? She goes through husbands like I go through socks...

Old 07-16-2013, 11:41 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,433,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by round4 View Post
# 1- When I came home early from work, found him in bed with next door neighbor.

#2- Six weeks into marriage, miscarried after finding a letter to his former gf saying he was sorry, but he had to marry me. Forgave him, 7 years, 2 wonderful boys later, caught him with her at hotel, they are now married and sweet karma says, it's a matter of time...

#3-Married six years, content till one day he came home and said he'd been sleeping with his kids momma...I was floored....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post

I can't imagine this either... Here's hoping to a better #4 or just a better time single or whatever you need!

Notice her screen name, "round4".

Old 07-16-2013, 12:24 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,105,327 times
I realized I may be making a mistake before the wedding, but I kept hoping she would be monogamous after getting married and having kids. I was wrong. She treated our two boys badly and spoiled our two girls, and it seemed there was nothing I could do. Talking to her didn't help, suggesting counselling just pi$$ed her off, she wanted to control everything, including me. Guilt and her affairs finally caused her to file for divorce, the third time she filed in less than a year, I had enough and her begging for me to come back didn't work. She was an angry, mean, person and I lost everything, except my freedom and the smile on my face.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:35 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

One caller said she knew she'd married the wrong man the day after the wedding when he threw out all her thong underwear while she was out and replaced it with "granny panties" When the shocked wife asked why, he told her "you're my wife now, not some tramp"!!!!
How long did this one last? That's pretty scary! I would hope she'd have been gone ASAP, and had the marriage annulled.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:07 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,350,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Was on a road trip today and got to listen to a radio show where the hosts asked their audience to call in and tell about the minute callers realized they had married the wrong person.

Some of the callers were very funny, but some were very serious. It was an interesting topic so I thought I'd pose the question here.

One caller said she knew she'd married the wrong man the day after the wedding when he threw out all her thong underwear while she was out and replaced it with "granny panties" When the shocked wife asked why, he told her "you're my wife now, not some tramp"!!!!

Anyone want to share what event or occurance led to a light bulb moment that you'd picked the wrong spouse?
I know this is old, but I never saw it!

At my wedding I knew. I stood next to him at the front of the church, before the preacher and our friends and family, and I knew. I was shaking profusely.

We had a son already who was a little over a year old, and not long before that, my father had passed. I wasn't working, and he was. My mom was still living at that point, but I did not want to rely on her.

I was 21 and I felt like I had made my bed and it was time to lie in it. I was pregnant with our daughter, but I did not know it yet.

I felt like I had no other options. When I look back, I had a million options, but I was afraid, and I wanted to do the right thing. We had been engaged for 4 years.

What a horrible feeling to stand at your wedding, a young girl shaking and afraid, knowing she was marrying the wrong man.

Just 5 months before that, right after y father passed, he started treating me pretty badly and he was awful at my fathers funeral.

I was on the wall about kicking him out then. I should have done it. I would have had 2 children, but I would have made it. I had no idea then that I would have, but looking back all these years later, I know in my heart that I would have.

My family would have rather helped me than have me marry him, any day.

What a mess. Twelve years later, I left him. Twelve long and painful years of being made into a person I was not and being treated worse than a dog.

Six years later I am very happy in life and in love. My ex currently tries to be my best friend.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:26 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,929 times
Wow, is so sad to hear what people went through, though I'm glad most are doing better now.

RE: churches, I think there is just as much victim-blaming among nonbelievers. It's endemic in our society.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:40 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,996,281 times
I'm so glad I figured it out before I got married. I can't imagine feeling trapped, but I understand how it can happen.

I knew about 2 weeks before wedding. After he threatened to walk for the billionth time, instead of crying and apologizing (for something I didn't do), I shut down. Have never regretted walking away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships