Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 10:09 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,620,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I might View Post
That cheating is given far more weight than virtually any other issue in a relationship....which is likely why it is so common
You're putting the cart before the horse ...

Perhaps it wouldn't be GIVEN so much weight if it weren't so prevalent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 11:42 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,187 times
It makes me sick to my stomach when people in these articles say "I'm not proud of my actions, but it all worked out for the better" or "I felt bad for cheating, but my heart was in the right place." These articles are full of justification for being unfaithful, and I lose faith in people when I see that the confessors are acting like this when they are much older than teenagers.

Fluff or not, these articles make it very scary to commit to anyone. They make it sound like anyone can justify unfaithfulness for a myriad of childish reasons.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:45 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
It's not """Cheating""", it's ADULTERY
If they're married it's adultery. If one of them is under the mistaken impression that it's an exclusive relationship, it's cheating.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:53 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
"You’ve probably heard that men cheat for physical reasons, women for emotional reasons. Sure, there’s some truth to that, but when we asked real women around the country to share why they strayed from their boyfriends, we learned they had a whole host of explanations — from bad kissing to sheer revenge..."

Confessions: 7 reasons why women cheat
Basically when men cheat, it's the man's fault.

But, as this article seems to indicate, when a woman cheats, it's still the man's fault.

Do I have that right?

Old 07-05-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Basically when men cheat, it's the man's fault.

But, as this article seems to indicate, when a woman cheats, it's still the man's fault.

Do I have that right?
According to "conventional wisdom", I'd say certainly!

That's why it's good not to stand on convention.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:48 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
According to "conventional wisdom", I'd say certainly!

That's why it's good not to stand on convention.
Yup. I'd say that women cheat for the same reasons men cheat. They're just better at rationalizing it.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:36 PM

268 posts, read 391,767 times
Most woman cheat in order to recapture their lost-youth. The time before jobs, mortgages, babies, piles of laundry, money problems, dirty dishes, car repairs, broken furnaces...basically the time before they had to be grown ups. They often trade their virtue for some cheap, cheesy compliments from a coworker. One thing leads to another.
Men simply cheat because they are horny. Although, A man who would betray his own integrity for a piece of ass is not really a man.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:41 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,995,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handog View Post
Most woman cheat in order to recapture their lost-youth. The time before jobs, mortgages, babies, piles of laundry, money problems, dirty dishes, car repairs, broken furnaces...basically the time before they had to be grown ups. They often trade their virtue for some cheap, cheesy compliments from a coworker. One thing leads to another.
Men simply cheat because they are horny. Although, A man who would betray his own integrity for a piece of ass is not really a man.

Please, the reasons you gave both sexes do it. Women are horny too

Old 07-06-2011, 12:13 AM

92 posts, read 112,510 times
Quote:
You're putting the cart before the horse ...

Perhaps it wouldn't be GIVEN so much weight if it weren't so prevalent.
Nope...I leave it as it stands, and here's why:

The focus on the negative (will they? are they? are they thinking about it? was that flirting? ) completely displaces/negates effort spent on connecting better and constructively developing one's self and growing in the relationship. For every person's moments spent spying on someone else's email account, or FB, or focusing negative energy in that search for blame/failure/disrespect....

(Well...if you are looking hard enough, then you will surely find it .)

....every one of those moments and all that effort should instead be spent on building positives and working towards mutual respect and understanding. If you find that you are doing this all alone in your relationship, then it is time for a very frank discussion or it is time to move on. Anyone that has truly been paying attention to their relationship can see the train wreck miles before it happens. If you didn't, or did not act on it...that is on you.

I've been on both sides of the coin and learned a great deal about accepting responsibility for all my actions. Stop playing stupid...or the victim. Neither is becoming or entirely true.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I might View Post
Nope...I leave it as it stands, and here's why:

The focus on the negative (will they? are they? are they thinking about it? was that flirting? ) completely displaces/negates effort spent on connecting better and constructively developing one's self and growing in the relationship. For every person's moments spent spying on someone else's email account, or FB, or focusing negative energy in that search for blame/failure/disrespect....

(Well...if you are looking hard enough, then you will surely find it .)

....every one of those moments and all that effort should instead be spent on building positives and working towards mutual respect and understanding. If you find that you are doing this all alone in your relationship, then it is time for a very frank discussion or it is time to move on. Anyone that has truly been paying attention to their relationship can see the train wreck miles before it happens. If you didn't, or did not act on it...that is on you.

I've been on both sides of the coin and learned a great deal about accepting responsibility for all my actions. Stop playing stupid...or the victim. Neither is becoming or entirely true.
Of course - I totally agree with you that the success or failure of a relationship is entirely up to the parties involved. But that gets away from your original statement that cheating is the foremost concern in a relationship.

I've been there too, and I think that self-abandonment is the biggest thief of love and understanding. It may be closely followed by cheating concerns, but followed it is. In fact, cheating may merely be the product of this insidious affliction.

What is self-abandonment? You can have several flavors of it - physical, mental, financial, spiritual, emotional, relational - but the symptoms are all laid out on a daily basis, both in this Forum and in the outside world...
  • We judge ourselves too harshly instead of accepting ourselves
  • We turn to various addictions to cope with our problems
  • We blame others for our feelings
  • We expect our partner to take care of us financially
  • We refuse to assume responsibility for our own actions
  • We let ourselves become physically weak and unattractive
  • We abandon ourselves to our partner by either becoming too aggressive or too docile, instead of maintaining an equilibrium
  • We look to our partner to GIVE us love, instead of our SHARING it with them
  • Perhaps most importantly, we've forgotten how to love OURSELVES before any others
Cheating is just a manifestation of one or several of these shortcomings. It is the symptom, not the disease.

I think what you're describing - the focus on the negative - is our inability to trust our partner; that usually stems from our OWN fears and projections, NOT from our partner. They are merely playing out the role that we've created for them, fulfilling our expectations and helping our nightmare come to life.

If that is the case then yes, striving toward understanding and respect - of OURSELVES first and THEN our partner - would be the cure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships