Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 11:56 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,754,147 times

Advertisements

As sad as it sounds, I've almost done exclusivity online dating. Living in a very small town (on a dirt road, even), its hard to meet people. I met a few girls here and there at work and at school, but for the most part, most of my coworkers and classmates were seeing someone. I know with me, it takes a few dates/meet ups for me to warm up to someone. Its very hard to summarize yourself in a little text box and as Ed said, I too feel I have a lot to offer but it takes time and a lot of people aren't willing to give you that.

In person, you are allowed to shine at work and school and get to see people on a daily bases with a common interest already, so I've often used work or school subjects to start conversations and branch that into other topics. I've also noticed that it seems that online is taken less seriously. I have always felt as if I wasn't taken as serious in regards to texting, phone calls and so forth aren't replied to in a timley fashion (I guess because I can easily be dropped, and I'm one click (delete button) away and for the most part history).

Just my two cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 12:06 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
There seems to be a lot of complaints about online dating here on CD and other forum sites. Is online dating really that bad?? Am I better off meeting someone the old fashioned way (e.g. Work, friends, etc.)?
It's hard to say b/c a lot of people meet their partner OL these days. Isn't it roughly half now? If it's your only method of meeting people, that's probably not good but if it's just one of several ways then you won't get so caught up in it. There are psychos on there, but I'm assuming that the ratio is about the same as that of the general population. Maybe it's just evident sooner OL, which would be a good thing.

Men go on and on about how women have it so great OL, but I think it's just a different set of problems. In your case, you're what? 19? I haven't looked for your pic but if you're good looking, you will probably get inundated with mail (so I've heard) and will have to weed thru a lot of creeps.

Women over 40, not so much but then we don't have to read thru so many creeps either though I could write a book about some of the interesting responses I've had and I had no idea so many young men want to date us, but then I doubt they're looking for a relationship either--probably looking for an easy lay. I'm not a hot cougar type either.

I finally closed out my account because no one that I was interested in was responding and I decided I probably just wan't ready to date anyway, but a thought came to mind--of the several men I've had long term relationships with in the past, I probably wouldn't have given any of them a second glance on an OL profile. So if I were you, I'd do it, but I wouldn't screen them by their pix and I'd sign up for a smaller free one like OK Cupid. And make sure your profile totally represents you--don't be too generic so as to attract more attention--you don't need more right now, you'll def want less.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:12 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,047,463 times
Quote:
There seems to be a lot of complaints about online dating here on CD and other forum sites. Is online dating really that bad?? Am I better off meeting someone the old fashioned way (e.g. Work, friends, etc.)?
Online dating is no worse than other forms of dating. It has it's advantages (or it wouldn't be so popular) and it has it's drawbacks.

People just like to B about dating. They did it before the internet was invented too.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:44 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Don't go on Match.com...You won't believe the people I've met off their...Complete whackballs.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:36 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,649,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Don't go on Match.com...You won't believe the people I've met off their...Complete whackballs.
LOL! I thought so!

Old 07-03-2011, 10:04 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:

Let me summarize for you. When it comes to online dating you will have either a Good, Bad, or Weird Experience.

My Good Experience-Met a pretty girl in May that I'm still going out with and getting to know

My Bad Experience-Meeting a girl and buying her dinner and when I called her after arriving home a DUDE answer the phone.

My Weird Exprience-Yesterday meeting a girl in public wearing a tight and shirt skirt that almost showed the crack off her AS.

Another weird experience that just happened 10 mins ago. Receiving a email from a overweight woman with children who is 43 and lives in Texas while I live in Philly.

So It's not all bad and you will have some good expriences too along with some weird ones which u will just ignore and move on.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:05 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,551,562 times
I'm too lazy to invest in an online profile so I just stick to dating people I know in real life.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Let me summarize for you. When it comes to online dating you will have either a Good, Bad, or Weird Experience.

My Good Experience-Met a pretty girl in May that I'm still going out with and getting to know

My Bad Experience-Meeting a girl and buying her dinner and when I called her after arriving home a DUDE answer the phone.

My Weird Exprience-Yesterday meeting a girl in public wearing a tight and shirt skirt that almost showed the crack off her AS.

Another weird experience that just happened 10 mins ago. Receiving a email from a overweight woman with children who is 43 and lives in Texas while I live in Philly.

So It's not all bad and you will have some good expriences too along with some weird ones which u will just ignore and move on.
The fourth lady sounds like she's looking for a walking wallet for her and her kids.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:33 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
The fourth lady sounds like she's looking for a walking wallet for her and her kids.
The fourth lady had to be on some type of medication because she wouldn't be dating material if i lived down the street from her in Texas-lol

Old 07-03-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
The fourth lady had to be on some type of medication because she wouldn't be dating material if i lived down the street from her in Texas-lol
LOL!! What if she lost a ton of weight and got a makeover?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships