Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 07:29 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
You have obviously not gone through a devestating break-up. There's actual physical pain when your heart "breaks"- there's a feeling of emptiness and heaviness in your chest that's hard to explain. When I had my heart broken I would've rather had my leg broken at the time because that's just physical pain that will last a few weeks before it heals, but the emotional one? It takes more time and dedication. People can live years with emotional scars that, though they get smaller over time, are still there. But you're not going to compare a shot in the head to your boyfriend of 3 months breaking up with you, come on, that's just extreme.

I definately agree about the "physical" side to emotional pain..Your heart hurts in your chest..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 07:35 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,620,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
If you really thought about a person who lived in a society where they literally had no friends and no one to trust, for years and years, and no one ever put even a thought into giving a damn about them, perhaps they live alone in some apartment with a dead end job and no family, you could imagine how that pain can make people take their own lives.
That pretty much describes the last 10 years of my life, but I'm not quite ready to put the barrel in my mouth yet.

Close, at times, but not quite yet. Most of the time I'm fine with it. It's only when I throw the once-in-a-blue-moon pity party that I even think about it. The rest of the time I'm too busy enjoying the things I'm able to do that I enjoy, when I want to do them.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:43 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
The image I still have in my head where I had to lift my mom up and carry her to the ambulance because cancer literally ate her hip and broke it is pretty much burned into my mind still, too.

Was the last time she was in the family house.
Omg that's horrible. ((((Big Hug to you))) I hope our folks are now having a grand old time on the otherside! And laughing at our crazy butts.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:45 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Emotional pain and long-term stress are very serious and can lead to various psychosomatic symptoms and even full-blown diseases.

What is Psychosomatic Illness? (http://staroversky.com/psychology/what-is-psychosomatic-illness/ - broken link)

Once I was under tremendous stress for months and had low-grade fever for no apparent reason the whole time. As soon as I extracted myself from the situation, the fever went away.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:46 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,992,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Omg that's horrible. ((((Big Hug to you))) I hope our folks are now having a grand old time on the otherside! And laughing at our crazy butts.
Oh she's up there with the rest of my family. Mostly women and my grandpa. They're all cackling(laughing) at all of there stories.

And probably eating the best food I've ever had.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:18 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,182,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $hayT93 View Post
I never understood how anyone could believe emotional pain is worse than physical. People say "emotional pain lasts forever but physical pain heals". If I get shot in the stomach and then a bullet in my head tell me when ill be healing, considering dead people don't heal!

I asked a friend who picked the emotional side and I said "You would rather go through one of those torture methods they used in various wars, instead of finding out the basic/simple fact your boyfriend stuck his d*** in another girl?". And she actually said yes and I was shocked.

With emotional pain you can CONTROL and CHOOSE to let it bother you. Like if a person called me a "low-life loser". I can choose to let it eat at me inside and depress me or I can brush it off and go about my day as if it didn't happen.
With physical pain, if I get punched in the nose, there is no "I can choose or control" the pain I will feel in my nose and it will hurt like hell and that is uncontrollable
Al Pacino's speech in this movie is one of the best descriptions I could give you for your ponderance when he talks about an amputated spirit over an amputated limb.

YouTube - ‪Al Pacino's artful speech [Scent of a Woman]‬‏

Old 09-26-2011, 06:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,175 times
People who claim emotional pain is worse than the physical variety have obviously never experienced a lot of physical pain or a very intense pain. Try life saving surgery that requires a central line, almost dying, 16 years of intense, debilitating pain, such that you literally can't walk, etc. & get back to me

Old 09-26-2011, 07:11 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,995,906 times
You see. It varies because all pain stems from emotions, it is understandable if you fracture your arm and it pops out of your skin. You get frightened and begin to cry because you are seeing stuff you are not suppose to. That is why emotional pain is worse than physical. Physical is all about what you can take and emotional hits you really hard even if you try not to let it. Even psychopaths have emotions and are bound to the laws of emotional pain. Physical not so much and people that have been through a lot are not so prone to crying over a broken arm, etc.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:36 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,925,526 times
Quote:

With emotional pain you can CONTROL and CHOOSE to let it bother you.
You think ?

Quote:
Like if a person called me a "low-life loser". I can choose to let it eat at me inside and depress me or I can brush it off and go about my day as if it didn't happen.
And you think that's emotional pain ?

I hope you neve r have to find out what real emotional pain is, or you're in for a big shock, boyo.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:47 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times
My son is recovering from a 2nd brain tumor...He's had to deal with both physical and emotional pain and stress...And his condition put stress on me too! (Hoping and praying that he would recover!)...I don't think it's healthy to "avoid feeling." Nobody wants to "feel fear" or "feel sadness" or anger or frustration or disappointment or rejection or any "troubling emotions" because they can be so painful!...But if we keep everything "locked-up" deep inside of us we can "crack-up" at some point or we can develop physical problems. (As others have mentioned.) Our emotions need an outlet so we can stay healthy and sane and rational. My Dad was a "rage-a-holic" because he didn't release and process his emotions in "small doses." He let everything build-up inside of him and he became a "raging volcano" every so often and out of control. (And not in his "right mind!")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships