Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What most closely describes your online dating experience
Very good, found the One or met people that exceeded my expectations. Highly recomended 3 11.54%
Met a few nice people and would do it again 7 26.92%
Met some people who exagerated but were eh still ok. May or may not online date in the future 7 26.92%
He or she misrepresented theirselves to the point of turning me off to online dating 6 23.08%
The people I met were complete liars. The pictures were not even there own. 2 7.69%
Went on date with Psychopath and may have been risking my life 1 3.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 07:48 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,355,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I can kind of see it from your friends stand point. Sometimes picking through pictures and grabbing your best ones even if their current can make you appear much thinner than you actually appear in person. Looking through my pics I see some that look like I'm 180 and others that look like I'm 220 yikes! I'm 200 and only 10 lbs over my ideal, but pictures selection can make a huge difference.
This was always my concern. Of course I would use my best photos, but my fear was that when the guys met me that I wouldn't actually look like my pics and they would be disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 07:49 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,857,070 times
Default Most profiles are for manipulation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I hear men complain that woman they meet on dating sites are posting pictures and weights that are not accurate and some that are off by 50 or more lbs.

Same applys to woman seeking men. Ive heard about a lot of men being plain inappropriate and asking for naked pictures and sex from the get go.

I did meet a woman online that was much larger then her pics. She had a great face and smile so it wasn't a biggy to me but it was false advertising and many men would have been upset I'm sure.

Are these just minor occurances or is this what you actually find online? What did you find out from your online dating experience? would you do it again?

I don't have much experience, but so far I give it a #2
I've been trying the online dating and have been disappointed. I am with another poster that I believe I am just off on the profiles I'm choosing...

I've taken a brake for a while because I am very dis-illusioned with the twists of truths... one was a 6 month email relationship and found out the pictures on his profile were 4 to 5 years old. My pictures are within months in fact I'm a lot more fit now so it might benefit me to change my pictures ... naaahhhh... taking a brake LOL

Old 07-08-2011, 08:00 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,797,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I recently came across someone who in his pics had a full head of hair. When we met in person, it definately was NOT
Was he bald or had badly thinning hair?

Old 07-08-2011, 08:07 PM

17,609 posts, read 22,526,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
This was always my concern. Of course I would use my best photos, but my fear was that when the guys met me that I wouldn't actually look like my pics and they would be disappointed.

Your lips look real HOT, darlin'.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:20 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,082,882 times
I've never posted a pic on a dating site--or even used one, for that matter--but I must admit that the one I'm currently using here on CD is about 7 years old! LOL.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:59 PM

112 posts, read 191,533 times
Haven't read much of the thread but isn't all the obvious lying a great thing???

I'd think most people would love to be able to screen out 1/4 of all dates by holding a picture next to the scum bag sitting across a table.

It is soooo quick and easy.

Or perhaps... holding out my driver's license I might even make the first sentence... "Show me your driver's license". With a smile of course!!!

I've never online dated but in this day and age, I can't imagine not doing a basic identity check. Since I'd be willing to show mine, I think only a jack ass would mind doing the same.

WC

Old 07-11-2011, 01:03 PM

30,486 posts, read 21,675,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
I've never posted a pic on a dating site--or even used one, for that matter--but I must admit that the one I'm currently using here on CD is about 7 years old! LOL.
Yeah, but you have groupies..Dam Musicians of their own built in dating sites

Old 07-11-2011, 01:05 PM

30,486 posts, read 21,675,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WireChief View Post
Haven't read much of the thread but isn't all the obvious lying a great thing???

I'd think most people would love to be able to screen out 1/4 of all dates by holding a picture next to the scum bag sitting across a table.

It is soooo quick and easy.

Or perhaps... holding out my driver's license I might even make the first sentence... "Show me your driver's license". With a smile of course!!!

I've never online dated but in this day and age, I can't imagine not doing a basic identity check. Since I'd be willing to show mine, I think only a jack ass would mind doing the same.

WC
What a great idea! Why does she look 60 and 250 when the picture was a 35 and 140?

Old 07-11-2011, 10:05 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,796,693 times
I've had a date ask for my DL, and offered hers to me. I thought it was a good idea. But the photo on my DL is maybe 5 years old, so what I have posted in my profiles are much more current. I do have a couple of old pics (of poses I really thought fun), but I put the date in the captions.

Also, every profile I've been attracted to seems to also have the woman asking for honesty, (as does mine). My first date is ALWAYS a quick and easy date, coffee and a chat, preferably during the off time so the coffee place isn't crowded. I can tolerate almost anything for that 30 minute commitment and if the pic or other info is way off, I'll pull the honesty trigger in an email.

I guess I understand why guys try lying. Enough of the time it works to make the rest worth while. If you claim to be Brad Pitt's better looking younger brother, meet 100 girls in a month, and 1 is desperate enough to let you into her pants, then you will try for 200 next month. Likewise for the women. But I think it also gives you a 0.001% chance of a second date.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:32 AM

180 posts, read 407,766 times
i tried it for awhile... i would say i've met about 6 or 7 different women in person that i've met online... and about 4 of them used pics that had to of been really old.

only one of them was just plain gross...

one of them is still a pretty good friend to this date

none of them were "the one"

i still see no problem in continuing to look online and offline.... people misrepresent themselves in both venues quite often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships