U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2011, 02:52 AM

14,096 posts, read 20,958,861 times

Advertisements

Women, you ever leave your husband/boyfriend over his video game addiction? Did it drive you so crazy you thought about smashing his game system? How old is your husband/boyfriend who spends hours a day playing video games instead of playing with you in the bedroom? Has he ever lost a job because of his video game addiction?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 05:48 AM

19,081 posts, read 19,071,439 times
My husband doesn't have a traditional video game addiction, but he is addicted to scramble, which is a facebook app. He's playing it right now. It used to be text twist. It hasn't gotten in the way of anything significant, since the time limit for each game is 3 minutes, but he has played the game when he should have been doing on other things (cleaning, studying, etc). He's an avid reader, so I guess it's sort of related to that. There have been times in the past when I've called him over to help me with something and I'll get "just a minute" and I know what he's doing. I think he's up to 250 words at this point.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:18 AM

2,502 posts, read 2,753,008 times
I don't scorn video games. I myself like them. But if he had an addiction to them to the point where he wouldn't do even the necessities (eating, bathroom, sleep, etc.) and he wouldn't get counseling, then I'd probably do this: I'd have to join him and say if I beat him then he gets off the game and gets therapy, of he wins I'd be leaving.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:33 AM

5,270 posts, read 10,742,597 times
Fortunately I don't play video games but my sister in law fell in love with a guy who was addicted to a pocket video poker machine. About 1 year after they married she then found out the addiction had them over $50,000 in debt. She divorced him. He's never changed in the last 12 years.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:09 AM

86 posts, read 143,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Women, you ever leave your husband/boyfriend over his video game addiction? Did it drive you so crazy you thought about smashing his game system? How old is your husband/boyfriend who spends hours a day playing video games instead of playing with you in the bedroom? Has he ever lost a job because of his video game addiction?
To the 1st question - No.
To the 2nd - No.
To the 3rd - Not applicable because I'm the one that likes to play video games; he's more of a car guy.
To the 4th - Again, not applicable and I haven't either.

For me, any kind of addiction towards a certain activity, be it video games, sports, gambling, etc., is extremely unhealthy for a person and thus, a relationship. I think, however, that individual people within a relationship can have hobbies that aren't necessarily their significant other's hobbies, as long as they don't neglect their partner. Whenever my husband wants me to spend time with him instead of playing video games, he gently suggests we go for a walk or watch a movie together. The key, I think, is moderation.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:29 AM

17,857 posts, read 15,140,977 times
You know I used to play video games until I was like 18, when the gamer in me started to die off and I realized how much more fun women are.

From that point on, whenever a woman asked me to do something, I'd drop the game and go with her. Pretty damn easy choice.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:40 AM

7,508 posts, read 3,248,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
You know I used to play video games until I was like 18, when the gamer in me started to die off and I realized how much more fun women are.

From that point on, whenever a woman asked me to do something, I'd drop the game and go with her. Pretty damn easy choice.
Aww! She is going to be one lucky woman!

Old 07-09-2011, 10:44 AM

16,225 posts, read 20,297,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post

Yes, spending time in the bedroom with your girl, or playing a video game?

or

Old 07-09-2011, 10:55 AM

17,857 posts, read 15,140,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post
Aww! She is going to be one lucky woman!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Yes, spending time in the bedroom with your girl, or playing a video game?

or
Well, it boils down to whether or not I prefer fake or real.

I'm a much bigger fan of real than I am of fake. Cuz it feels good.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:21 AM

7,371 posts, read 11,112,262 times
My ex used to play for 8 hours a day; this was a major factor which contributed to our divorce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships