Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 07:10 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
No, trust is about confidence in the integrity of someone or something.

Expectation is more of an entitlement mentality that people arrive at after they make an assumption. And assumptions usually backfire on us when we make them.
LOL...you got THAT right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 08:06 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,011,688 times
I would say, Phil, that they are NOT the same things.

However, it can be confusing because while not the same things, they can be so closely interwoven as to be almost undiscernable -- and that mistake can lead to confusion, more confusion and even more confusion, most especially when things change in a relationship (any relationship of any type) as they invariably must.

Someone behaves a certain way during a certain period and we come to expect them to continue with that same behaviour as a general rule. Often the subtle "within reason, of course" that we assign as caveat is actually based on a sub-SUB caveat: So long as the variation is comprehensible to me and meets my approval.

We trust someone based on our evaluation of their actions while we get to know them. Do they do what they say they'll do? Have they lied to us, or do we believe they would? Do we feel we can rely on them?

It's strangely easy to say we trust someone for "who they are rather than what they can do for us" but I think upon examination those waters grow murky. I don't trust someone because they are capable of fixing my car; I trust them because they've fixed my car and always shot straight with me regarding cost, labour, etc, and the car has always worked afterward.

It's still not the SAME as expectation; but if someone behaves in a way that allows us to trust them, we come to expect that continued behaviour.

Trust... is an investment of sorts.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:07 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
No, trust is about confidence in the integrity of someone or something.

Expectation is more of an entitlement mentality that people arrive at after they make an assumption. And assumptions usually backfire on us when we make them.
So Assume leads to Expect leads to Disappoint? I like that idea.

... I mean, as an idea - not as a personal practice.

I've had people over the years tell me that I hold myself a certain way; the way I walk, stand, talk, etc. They further say that they feel they can trust me.

"To do what?" is usually the unspoken question on my lips. That leaves a LOT of unclaimed territory ...

So they make an inference from a brief observational period laden with assumptions and THAT creates an expectation as well as a proclamation - "We can TRUST him!"

... that's when I wink at their wives.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:26 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
So Assume leads to Expect leads to Disappoint? I like that idea.

... I mean, as an idea - not as a personal practice.

I've had people over the years tell me that I hold myself a certain way; the way I walk, stand, talk, etc. They further say that they feel they can trust me.

"To do what?" is usually the unspoken question on my lips. That leaves a LOT of unclaimed territory ...

So they make an inference from a brief observational period laden with assumptions and THAT creates an expectation as well as a proclamation - "We can TRUST him!"

... that's when I wink at their wives.

You are so bad

But then, I should EXPECT that of you by now since I'd already ASSUMED you like the ladies

Old 07-12-2011, 09:28 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Your answers may affect my personal life philosophy, so tread carefully please ...

When you trust someone, be it your relationship partner, friend, family member etc. and they break that trust, it's a nasty thing. On the other hand, when you have expectations of someone's behavior and they don't act as expected, it's also a nasty thing.

When you trust someone, you have expectations.

When you have expectations of someone, you trust they will act appropriately.

Are they the same? If so, how? If not, why?
sorry if i didn't read the thread, but think of expectations as an umbrella, where trust falls under that umbrella as one type of expectation.

However, there are other types of expectations that do not involve trust. For example, imagine you are at bat, and you have an 'expectation' of what the pitcher (an adversary) might throw at you. This is not based on trust, so much as it is anticipating someone's next move.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:38 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times
No, trust is not the same as expectations. As an example I can say that I meet someone and knowing myself, will chat with them for a while, and then ask myself if I trust them or not. Surprisingly, and naively enough, I have been known to think yes, I do trust them. However, what exactly I trust them with or about remains a mystery. Am I trusting they won't kill me, or am I trusting they won't lie to me? Say I meet a person that I do trust, but am unsure if he is a serial killer/rapist/psycho. Why did I trust him? I trusted because I felt like it. Because I FELT it. Nevertheless, I am pretty sure the guy is a killer. Oxymoron, or just moronic?

Old 07-13-2011, 08:07 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
sorry if i didn't read the thread, but think of expectations as an umbrella, where trust falls under that umbrella as one type of expectation.

However, there are other types of expectations that do not involve trust. For example, imagine you are at bat, and you have an 'expectation' of what the pitcher (an adversary) might throw at you. This is not based on trust, so much as it is anticipating someone's next move.
Nicely put!

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001
No, trust is not the same as expectations. As an example I can say that I meet someone and knowing myself, will chat with them for a while, and then ask myself if I trust them or not. Surprisingly, and naively enough, I have been known to think yes, I do trust them. However, what exactly I trust them with or about remains a mystery. Am I trusting they won't kill me, or am I trusting they won't lie to me? Say I meet a person that I do trust, but am unsure if he is a serial killer/rapist/psycho. Why did I trust him? I trusted because I felt like it. Because I FELT it. Nevertheless, I am pretty sure the guy is a killer. Oxymoron, or just moronic?
You can even trust killers to do certain things, I suppose.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:18 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
You can even trust killers to do certain things, I suppose.
Sure... like assisted suicide.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:21 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Sure... like assisted suicide.
A handyman? Love it!

Old 08-24-2011, 03:54 AM

24 posts, read 36,411 times
Trust, in a practical sense, means that you place confidence in someone to be honest with you, faithful to you, keep promises, vows and confidences and not abandon you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships