Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 10:09 AM

406 posts, read 580,505 times

Advertisements

She only dates guys for status. She'll never be truly happy. No sympathy for her. She wants a tall, athletic guy? Go to your local YMCA or softball league. Plenty of tall, athletic guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 10:10 AM

630 posts, read 1,048,658 times
tell her to get in with the right crowd. Maybe meet a girlfriend whose dating an athlete who can set her up. There's always a way.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:26 AM

31,002 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Maybe if she recruits from the Little League she will have more luck. JK

Old 07-12-2011, 10:44 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,796,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I knew a guy who played minor league ball. He used to like to tell stories on how easy it was to get woman as a minor league ballplayer becasuse "they did not know the difference between the real major league prospects, and the rest of the guys."
Check, I think it's deeper than that. I think these ladies date minors, because he may become a major. She'll create the illusion of I'm with him, because I like/love him. Please.

Just like, if I met KG. Hi I'm Kevin Garnett. Really, who are you.

I know damn well who KG is. Playing the part, so I land that big fish.

She's a gold digger. She and her friend trying to dress it up into something else.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:46 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,680,469 times
Lightbulb You Make A Good Point Here...But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenaus View Post
tell her to get in with the right crowd. Maybe meet a girlfriend whose dating an athlete who can set her up. There's always a way.
I have to side here with my fellow posters who've advised there are scads of tall, good-looking, well-off (if that's part of her criteria, and it's set in stone) fellas out here, who are looking for a good woman, and would probably treat her as well, if not better, than an athlete might

At last count there are:

32 NFL Teams
30 Major League Baseball Teams
30 NHL (National Hockey League) Teams
30 NBA Teams

Factor in EVERY guy on all those rosters, and that's still just a blip on the radar in the big dating pool of life...it's not settling if she finds someone who fits whatever criteria she has, and that guy isn't an athlete...I just hope she doesn't remain fixated on 'jocks', and overlooks someone who may truly love and cherish her, simply because they're not a pro athlete...that's tanatamount to the old saying 'cutting off your nose to spite your face', or in plain old blunt-honest English, that's just dumb

Old 07-12-2011, 10:51 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
Check, I think it's deeper than that. I think these ladies date minors, because he may become a major.
That was my friend's point. Most of the players in the minors have a slim to zero chance of making the majors. He was one of them. Able to sustain in the low minors, but lacking the talent to climb the ladder to the majors. However, the women hovering around the ballplayers, he felt, did not know how to discern the serious prospects from players such as himself making it easy for him to pick them up. He felt if they knew the difference, he would not have had as easy of a time.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:15 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,796,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
That was my friend's point. Most of the players in the minors have a slim to zero chance of making the majors. He was one of them. Able to sustain in the low minors, but lacking the talent to climb the ladder to the majors. However, the women hovering around the ballplayers, he felt, did not know how to discern the serious prospects from players such as himself making it easy for him to pick them up. He felt if they knew the difference, he would not have had as easy of a time.
As gullible and greedy as some women are. He'll always get laid. All bench riders get laid. Why. Women think he's gonna make it big one day. His day is coming and I'll be there by his side. At the same time, the guys are kicking them around like cans.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:42 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
One of the astronauts who went to the moon once made the remark, what do you do after you walk on the moon? Makes perfect sense. Everyone wants to get bigger and better. Life is supposed to improve. What does one do when one started out with the best?

Your friend may just have to accept that she already had her walk on the moon and her 15 minutes of fame. The rest of her life will be much more ordinary.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:57 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Aw, I wouldn't be so hard on the girl. Finding tall, black, wealthy athletic guys is probably tough. Seriously, if she really has a "type" then it could conceivably be difficult for her to feel attracted to other guys. I think people are just reacting because they feel those guys are "superior" to them.

What if her type were something else? I dated a guy for a long time when I was younger, and after we broke up, I definitely looked for another guy who had the same physical characteristics. I still go crazy for dark, curly hair and dark eyes. It can be more than smexual, the "comfort" of something familiar and positive may be compelling, as well.

Honestly, since I had dated that guy so long...even seeing different things was VERY strange and disconcerting. At times the attraction was not there as a result. Maybe it's more common for women than men? I think you can get hung up on a type. She doesn't have to be a "gold-digger" because she prefers a guy she feels attracted to and comfortable with.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:59 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
She's not a gold digger. For a long time, her ex didn't even make real money. She stayed with him for a long time while he was in the minors. It just turned out that he had a really good season and caught a scout's eye at the right time. Once he got to the majors, he improved his play, and got a multi-year, 8 digit contract. When he was struggling in the minors, we all thought he was done, but she stayed with him nonetheless. Through the injuries and all.

She actually comes from money. Her family took him in for a while because he grew up in foster homes for much of his life. She doesn't need his cash.
This guy sure sounds like a keeper She stayed with him at his lowest point in life and he dumped her after he hit big time.

I think your friend just wants something that seems ideal. Sure dating a pro athlete will bring her some measure of fortune and fame, but does she like having a long distance relationship (or else being on the road constantly) and being cheated on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships