Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 07:30 AM

88 posts, read 278,469 times

Advertisements

Well, being 20 was 21 years ago for me. But like then, it's nonexistent now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 09:22 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,451,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
At 20, I had been dating my boyfriend for four years and had been engaged for two. I spent my 20th birthday in Oxford as an exchange student, studying English; he came to visit me and we spent five days in Paris. Dating included movies, going out to eat, a few concerts, family stuff. I was learning to cook then and would make dinner for him and his mom.
The dating activities that you describe could very well be things that two friends do. I think there was a thread (or threads) about this. And one of them might of been mine. But this goes back to an opinion I hold...it can be hard to draw the line between couples and friends. What's so different about those activities that made them fall under the category of "dating"? If two friends went to movies, went out to eat, and went to concerts...they wouldn't be a couple. Or would they?

Old 07-14-2011, 09:23 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,670,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
What was your dating life like at my age (20)?
awkward. i was a popular, decent-looking guy, in a social group that carried a lot of cachet for (in retrospect) really stupid reasons. I had tons of male friends, and had peoples' respect. However I knew very little about what women wanted, and what I wanted. I went to keg parties and sorority mixers 3 - 6 nights a week, drank a lot, and did plenty of drugs. I was more depressed at age 20, than I had ever been, or have been since.

i think what jaded me at age 20 were the sexual dynamics taking place. Women tend to believe in this story that there are two "pools" of single women that men can choose from -- the "bad girls" who have casual sex, and the "good girls" who do not. I believed this, hook, line, and sinker --- until I turned 20.

The reality is that there's one pool of women, and the majority of them move back-and-forth between a) dating guys who will date them, and b) sleeping with the best-looking guys who have plenty of options. At the time, this bothered me tremendously, because I was not one of the guys who was able to monopolize the casual sex from all these girls, nor was I willing to date someone who had screwed any of my friends. I fell into a depression, like I mentioned, which only subsided once I'd left all those people behind me.

Last edited by le roi; 07-14-2011 at 10:35 AM..

Old 07-14-2011, 11:08 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,244,892 times
Quote:
What is it about voices? You're not the only person that I heard say that. I heard someone (from my generation) say that a guy has no balls if he doesn't ask out a girl with his voice.

I have a fear of rejection, but I don't think technology has anything to do with it. My family got a computer in 1998. But I didn't start using technology seriously until 2005. And my fear of rejection precedes 2005.

A real-time conversation requires an ability to think on your feet, demonstrates your social skills, and shows how well you can carry on a conversation.

Email and texting allows you to edit. It is not entirely genuine. It is a wall people hide behind when they are unable to talk to people, are too afraid of other people's reactions to the things they say, and are too afraid to hear the word "no."

Well, if you can't talk to someone, how on earth are you going to have any kind of date, never mind relationship?

If you are 20, and you are talking about 6 years ago, that would make you 14 at the time. Well, yes, most 14-year-old boys don't know how to talk to girls and get nervous around them.

I do think, from all you've said, that you need to get out from behind the computer and stop using things like Facebook as a barometer of friendship. I think your use of social media has crippled you and not allowed you to grow normally. IMHO, if you want to break out of this cycle you are in, delete your social media accounts entirely--not go inactive, but delete--for a month or two. It is possible to have a life without them. People my age did, and we were far healthier for it. To this day, the healthiest people I know say, "Yeah, I have an account, but I hardly ever go on it." They are too busy having fun in the flesh.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:12 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,622,264 times
Quote:
The dating activities that you describe could very well be things that two friends do. I think there was a thread (or threads) about this. And one of them might of been mine. But this goes back to an opinion I hold...it can be hard to draw the line between couples and friends. What's so different about those activities that made them fall under the category of "dating"? If two friends went to movies, went out to eat, and went to concerts...they wouldn't be a couple. Or would they?
I left out the part where we ****ed like bunnies. I thought that went without saying.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:23 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,580,565 times
At 20, I was awkward and naive. At the time, I was an Aerospace Engineering Major which I suppose didn't help the awkwardness . I didn't even have my first real kiss until I was 19, and at 20 I was still semi-dating the guy, but again, the naivete comes into play because I thought he was my boyfriend and he thought otherwise because he was dating a few other girls. I assumed that when he introduced me as his girlfriend, he meant it. Lesson learned. I also grew boobs when I was 19 and went from a 34A to a 36F in the matter of a few months. The attention was mostly unwelcome.

At 27, I'm much more comfortable with my geekiness and my body but the dating front has gotten much more turbulent. I deal more with men who have multiple children, are extremely jaded and treat women like dirt, and men who have no motivation whatsoever.

Now, I'm focusing more on my career and keeping my life in order and less on dating.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:43 AM

182 posts, read 298,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
At 20, I was awkward and naive. At the time, I was an Aerospace Engineering Major which I suppose didn't help the awkwardness . I didn't even have my first real kiss until I was 19, and at 20 I was still semi-dating the guy, but again, the naivete comes into play because I thought he was my boyfriend and he thought otherwise because he was dating a few other girls. I assumed that when he introduced me as his girlfriend, he meant it. Lesson learned. I also grew boobs when I was 19 and went from a 34A to a 36F in the matter of a few months. The attention was mostly unwelcome.

At 27, I'm much more comfortable with my geekiness and my body but the dating front has gotten much more turbulent. I deal more with men who have multiple children, are extremely jaded and treat women like dirt, and men who have no motivation whatsoever.

Now, I'm focusing more on my career and keeping my life in order and less on dating.
Is this the SLO girl???????????

Old 07-14-2011, 12:05 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,866,280 times
younger, there were always many different men to date and all wanted to talk and do things and YES get to know you... now that I find myself single, I've gotten in great shape, work out at least 4 - 5 times a week, eat healthy and like to hike and do many things out doors... now hardly any available men that want to get to know you and get involved in outdoor activities... first dates always end the same... trying to get you into bed... not that I wouldn't love that eventually (trust me) but PLEASE... get to know me ... we're not dying tomorrow you know... I feel like I'm the odd one to expect someone to really give a sh*t about who I really am first... Geez... I would rather be alone and happy then compromise myself just to get "laid" ... just my 2 cents

Old 07-14-2011, 09:21 PM

37,494 posts, read 45,798,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I left out the part where we ****ed like bunnies. I thought that went without saying.
HAAAAAAAAAA! Honestly...I thought that was understood as well!!

Old 07-14-2011, 09:24 PM

37,494 posts, read 45,798,776 times
Quote:
Something that bothers me is when people say we (young people) have the rest of our lives to date. Sure, we have the rest of our lives to date. But that doesn't mean we're going to be attractive for the rest of our lives.
Do you plan on getting letting yourself go? Not sure exactly what that has to do with anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships