Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 10:01 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,647,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post
I'm not pressure to get marry but a lot of my friends are getting marry. I get the "oh man am I going to be the last one" pressure.
This is what I'm afraid of but at the same time, I need to remember to go at my own pace to meet the right one and not society's timing or anyone else's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 10:10 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
This is what I'm afraid of but at the same time, I need to remember to go at my own pace to meet the right one and not society's timing or anyone else's.
Marrying the wrong person actually scares me more than being single. It feels like I'd be trapped. You should really think about how upset you'd be marrying the wrong person. When you get married, you have no way out, I mean you DO legally, but I think you can catch the drift. At least you can accept being single and adapt, being married to the wrong person you'll never accept, and you'll be miserable.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:12 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Hmmm. I'm 18 but I did hinted by my Nana that I need to get out more or I won't find a wife(which I guess is partly true). But I don't think my parents would really care if I never got married. I have some former classmates my age that are engaged and I'm at the age now where I can get married without permission, so I do sometimes think about getting married. But I am increasingly finding myself thinking that I want to meet a someone to get married to in the future. I definitely do want to get married and it would bother me if I never did. I mean I would get engaged now if I were with the right girl but probably wait until 21 to get married. I'd like to be married by 24 or 25 though. Most people on my dads side of the family were married with a baby by my age.

But if it were still the 1950s when college wasn't really mandatory, and I had a steady job and were with the right girl, I would certainly get married now or soon. Because that's what I really desire right now, is a marriage and starting a family. But I have to go to college and I can't afford to support a wife and family right now.

My parents want me to wait until I'm closer to 30 but I think that's a little bit late particularly since I want children. My parents married at 30 but divorced 5 years later...
Just curious why do you want to get married and have children at such a young age? When I was 18 I wasn't even thinking about babies or marriage.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:14 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,245 times
Quote:
Mhmm, I agree. I do believe that there is a time for everything so I'm going to relax and focus on building my career. Besides, I can't really wait to enjoy the Real Life. I'm too excited for that.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:19 PM

Yep!

Old 07-12-2011, 10:31 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,320,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
Just curious why do you want to get married and have children at such a young age? When I was 18 I wasn't even thinking about babies or marriage.
I don't know. I guess it was due to the way I was raised. My parents were divorced from the time I was 5 and I don't have any memory of them married or any memory of anything prior to them getting divorced. My parents were always arguing with each other and I dealt with my mom telling me bad things about my dad all the time and seeing my dad drunk quite often. Plus my mom struggled financially which caused to be unhappy leading her to being mean to me sometimes and I always wished that my parents were happily married so we could be happy together. But things were always very unstable and tense.

I've decided I don't want my kids to go through what I went through. I want them to have the best life possible. The struggles I saw my parents deal with and always wishing that they were happily married led me to desire the stability of a married "middle class" lifestyle. I have nostalgia for the simplicity of the 1950s suburbia. It's seems nice to have someone always be there and love you and to come home having your kids happily greeting you.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I don't know. I guess it was due to the way I was raised. My parents were divorced from the time I was 5 and I don't have any memory of them married or any memory of anything prior to them getting divorced. My parents were always arguing with each other and I dealt with my mom telling me bad things about my dad all the time and seeing my dad drunk quite often. Plus my mom struggled financially which caused to be unhappy leading her to being mean to me sometimes and I always wished that my parents were happily married so we could be happy together. But things were always very unstable and tense.

I've decided I don't want my kids to go through what I went through. I want them to have the best life possible. The struggles I saw my parents deal with and always wishing that they were happily married led me to desire the stability of a married "middle class" lifestyle.
My dad said he was like this before he met my mom and married her. But he was 25 when he married my 20 yo mom. His family struggled a lot (grandma has been married now 4 times) and I don't even know my biological grandpa on his side of the family; he made a promise to himself similar to yours which is a great thing to shoot for. To rise up against the odds and make something of yourself rather than blaming your bad environment for your misfortunes and unwillingness to make something of yourself.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:39 PM

946 posts, read 2,917,837 times
I'm 24 and I don't feel pressured right now. Some of my childhood friends are married with young children, but I never felt pressured from that- I just felt happy for them and if anything, I felt a little sorry that they got tied down so young (some married in their late teens and early 20's). It made me appreciate my youth so much more. I don't know what I would do without my freedom . I have so many goals and things I want to do before I do get married, so it's not really on my immediate to-do list . On the other hand, I do want to form a family and have children relatively young (before I reach 30), so it's not something I'm opposed to either. But for now, I have other preoccupations...I'll worry about that when the time comes .

Old 07-13-2011, 06:45 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times
I am almost 30 and have never felt any pressure. In fact, my mom has always told me not to get married. LOL

Old 07-13-2011, 07:57 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times
Default Lol...

Quote:
As some of you know, I'm now 20 years old. I haven't had much dating experience though. I've had one bf and that's it. Even if I haven't met anyone I want to get serious with nor do I want to get serious with anyone until I graduate college and get a job, I still feel like there's gonna be pressure to get married young. How do you deal with this dreading feeling?
Boy...I was pressurred by my older brother and his wife. I started to walk right into that fire but luckily I 'saw the light' and dodged that bullet!!
Whew...Koale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships