Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 01:45 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,245 times

Advertisements

I'm a introvert and I'm kind of shy. I'm shy when I first meet people. It takes a while until I'm okay with them, but I'm still a introvert no matter what. Sometimes I can greet people without being shy if I put on my big girl pants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 02:08 PM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
I'd have to say I'm a little of both as well.

A little shy when first meeting people but once we get to know each other and find similar likes we can become pretty good friends. However, I don't seek people out. Even if a favorite star/idol was standing close by talking with some people, I'd still sit back whereas some of my friends would be right up there getting autographs and such. I'm so in awe of them.

I know my relatives so can't be shy there but I'm still considered quiet compared to some of them. I can talk to my bil for awhile - BIG talker there, but then my jaw becomes sore and my energy levels are zapped even tho he did most of the talking. I'm just not used to talking. Guess that's why my jaw hurts afterwards, since I don't excercise it as much.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:09 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,875,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
Shy and introvert aren't not the same thing, not even close. Often, shy people really want to interact a lot with others, but fear the repercussions. Introverts can't be bothered with social interaction due not to fear, but due to the energy drain that occurs after doing so.

I don't know why people make this common mistake of equating the two.
what category would shy people fit into, introvert or extrovert?...Extrovert I don't think so, so I guess you can be introverted but not shy, you can be shy and an introvert, but you cannot be a shy and be considered an extrovert

Old 07-13-2011, 02:15 PM

977 posts, read 1,814,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
what category would shy people fit into, introvert or extrovert?...Extrovert I don't think so, so I guess you can be introverted but not shy, you can be shy and an introvert, but you cannot be a shy and be considered an extrovert
You can absolutely be shy and an extrovert. Those are the shy people who draw energy from being with people. Like they are scared to talk to people but after talking with them for a long time, say at a party, they feel energized.

Introvert/Extrovert is all about where you derive your energy from. Is it from interacting for lengthy periods (extrovert) with people or from within (introvert).

Old 07-13-2011, 02:46 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Just because you are shy doesn't mean you are some pure sweet angel. A lot of shy people are conniving terrors.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:50 PM

538 posts, read 1,521,430 times
Shy folks: why not just tell people you are that way?
Because they are too shy!

What a naive, ignorant topic...

Old 07-13-2011, 04:25 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudra View Post
This isn't to bash those shy,reserved people out there but why not just come out and say you are bashful,etc ? I hear laments about everyone thinking they were stuck up,unfriendly, anti-men/women. Please, the others' aren't mindreaders plus we don't wish to disturb you should you happen not to like us
why should they? Just because an extrovert needs to give themselves gratification and attention doesn't mean everyone needs to. Anyway, if you can't figure out that someone is reserved vs stuckup... well.. thats the other persons problem ~ not the shy person.

I've been thought of as stuck up, cold etc. Then they get to know me..... As an ambivert, I know I'm not. I don't expect a mind-reader and being disturbed is okay, unless of course you need constant attention, .... then thats just annoying.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:08 PM

83 posts, read 247,056 times
I consider myself kind of shy and I know that some people must think I'm a stuck up but it's not like you can just go around telling everyone.

How would that conversation even go? Hi my name is so and so I'm 24 yrs old and by the way I'm shy.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:23 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
I've always been shy. I hoped I would outgrow it, but never did. Now in my 40's and recently single, its an issue. I don't know how to overcome it. There is no way I'm going to apprach a woman in a bar, grocery store, bookstore, etc. So whats the answer? Its not internet dating. I think I'm going to have to just hire a matchmaker if I ever want to find a wife and have kids. I better get moving on this fast.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:40 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudra View Post
This isn't to bash those shy,reserved people out there but why not just come out and say you are bashful,etc ? I hear laments about everyone thinking they were stuck up,unfriendly, anti-men/women. Please, the others' aren't mindreaders plus we don't wish to disturb you should you happen not to like us
I tell them I am shy and they don't believe me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships