Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 08:18 AM

404 posts, read 1,147,571 times

Advertisements

For a shy person to tell you upfront that they are shy is an oxymoron.

I am naturally shy but I always try to fight my shy tendencies. I try hard to do little things like just saying hello/good morning to someone or just making small talk with a cashier or waiter. I am also blessed with quick wits and I'm very funny as well. When I let my funny side out and feel comfortable busting out jokes people around me genuinely like me and enjoy my company.

In my last job I let myself fall victim to my shy tendencies and was "the quiet one" in the office. I realized that my shyness rubbed off as arrogance or snobbiness when it was really just insecurity. I left that job without many friends or even people who would vouch for me.

It's a daily fight for me to speak up to strangers and just let my real personality shine. I realize that nothing good can come from just keeping to myself and avoiding interaction. I just moved to a bigger city and hope to meet more new people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 12:37 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,757,868 times
For those of you who believe that "shyness" and "introversion" cannot be one and the same, and that "shyness" cannot also be "nice"...watch the movie The Inheritance, starring Cari Shayne and Meredith Baxter (based on the book of the same name, by Louisa May Alcott).

The character Cari Shayne plays (Edith Adelon) is a perfect example, of all of the above: introverted, shy, nice, caring, compassionate, and completely adorable and endearing. A stunningly beautiful movie -- a perfect 10, in my book -- and one of my all-time favs.

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 07-18-2011 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: Adds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships