Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2011, 01:59 AM

405 posts, read 1,280,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
I never understood the attraction of the "bodybuilder" look. It just looks so unnatural. Then again, I'm a straight male, so what do I know?
ACtually, the bodybuilder look is not unnatural at all, rather the flabby or skinny body look is more unnatural. Think about it, humans are the only animals (or beings) that are not toned and muscular. Almost, every mammal in the animal kingdom is very strong, toned and muscular. We, humans are the exception due to our intelligence which helped us resort to modern innovations for survival rather than our physique which we most likely used to a greater degree throughout 10000s of years of history until the last couple hundred years. Actually, they said that humans even a 1000 years ago used to have considerable more strength and power than those today, due to the fact people were requried to use their muscles for survival to a greater degree. Think about it, no cars, no televisions, no refrigerators, not even any guns! You would have to club or stab to death your meat if you wanted to eat.

However, these giant bodybuilders who are dosed up on steroids, growth hormones and other synthetic supplements are unnatural. They blast their testosterone levels and manipulate their body chemistry to form huge muscles and tone their bodies down in short time to win their competitions. That, indeed, is unnatural. Many athletes have resorted to steroids and synthetic growth hormones due to the pressure in professional sports. Check out some of the physiques of natural bodybuilders and some of the old-time bodybuilders before steroids and other synthetic supplements/drugs came into play. They had very nice physiques and had very functional muscle mass that was hard, smooth and toned. Actually, they have done many studies proving that bodybuilders actually suffer from less physical problems later in life than those lacking muscle mass or those who engaged in lots of aerobic activity.

However, don't assume a muscular and powerful physique is unnatural. 100s, if not 1000s of years ago, skinny and weak people would have had a hard time surviving. Think about all the wars, need to hunt and just the struggles people faced throughout history. We live in a very privileged time. No wonder the new dilemma we are facing is obesity, diabetes, cancer and coronary heart disease, etc. The byproducts of the Fast Food age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 02:39 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalDream View Post
ACtually, the bodybuilder look is not unnatural at all, rather the flabby or skinny body look is more unnatural. Think about it, humans are the only animals (or beings) that are not toned and muscular. Almost, every mammal in the animal kingdom is very strong, toned and muscular. We, humans are the exception due to our intelligence which helped us resort to modern innovations for survival rather than our physique which we most likely used to a greater degree throughout 10000s of years of history until the last couple hundred years. Actually, they said that humans even a 1000 years ago used to have considerable more strength and power than those today, due to the fact people were requried to use their muscles for survival to a greater degree. Think about it, no cars, no televisions, no refrigerators, not even any guns! You would have to club or stab to death your meat if you wanted to eat.

However, these giant bodybuilders who are dosed up on steroids, growth hormones and other synthetic supplements are unnatural. They blast their testosterone levels and manipulate their body chemistry to form huge muscles and tone their bodies down in short time to win their competitions. That, indeed, is unnatural. Many athletes have resorted to steroids and synthetic growth hormones due to the pressure in professional sports. Check out some of the physiques of natural bodybuilders and some of the old-time bodybuilders before steroids and other synthetic supplements/drugs came into play. They had very nice physiques and had very functional muscle mass that was hard, smooth and toned. Actually, they have done many studies proving that bodybuilders actually suffer from less physical problems later in life than those lacking muscle mass or those who engaged in lots of aerobic activity.

However, don't assume a muscular and powerful physique is unnatural. 100s, if not 1000s of years ago, skinny and weak people would have had a hard time surviving. Think about all the wars, need to hunt and just the struggles people faced throughout history. We live in a very privileged time. No wonder the new dilemma we are facing is obesity, diabetes, cancer and coronary heart disease, etc. The byproducts of the Fast Food age.

Check out from about 1:30 in this video

‪10 Questions for Ray Kurzweil‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-15-2011, 03:05 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,429,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty223 View Post

to put this into perspective, you look like this guy? he's exactly 5'4 at 200 lbs of muscle. lol nice... that's actually good if you look like this guy...
Nice.

OP, would you be willing to take a picture for us? It would be most helpful in answering your question.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:34 AM

1 posts, read 3,535 times
I think ladies like muscular body

Old 07-15-2011, 08:04 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,142,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
I never understood the attraction of the "bodybuilder" look. It just looks so unnatural. Then again, I'm a straight male, so what do I know?
Yea. There's a difference between having a sexy body that's in shape, and having a body that looks freakishly abnormal.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:17 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
In my country (France) back in the seventies, bodybuilders were very much looked down upon by young females, who had as male models skinny pop icons like J Lennon or Micky Jagger.
So as a (moderate) bodybuilder, I had a hard time finding gfs, not so in other countries (Germany, Britain, the US). Once at a party in the late seventies, I overheard some girls talking about me : "look at that muscular guy, he is ridiculous! and he doesn't even smoke!"

Old 07-15-2011, 08:18 AM

330 posts, read 599,186 times
From what I know about women, they all love a man in good shape. But just like being too skinny, being TOO bulked up means you are out of proportion, and women in general dont like that at all. Now, there are quite a few women who are in good shape that have, for lack of a better term, a fetish for body builders, but its a sub-culture. The origninal Poster and I are 5-4 I think its great he works out and is 200!!! pounds. (That is maybe too much?) But my fellow 5'4 buddy, you need to also "work out" some other skills, you can use your body as an opener, but you need to use your mind as a closer. Learn to become a better man. Read books on how to talk to women, develope a good sense of humor, and learn other good skills in life, 200# or not we both need to be above average.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:43 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
Yea. There's a difference between having a sexy body that's in shape, and having a body that looks freakishly abnormal.
It's hard to tell what different people think of as "too much". We all have our own opinions, so I thought it would help to use a visual. The photos from this link below (click on the link for those pics) are of professional bodybuilders. The BIG boys (and girls). While I admire their discipline and passion, these bodies simply are too much of a good thing, for me personally. I don't find them physically appealing, in a romantic sense.

Bodybuilder Photos: Mister & Miss UNIVERSE 2006

However...the bodies in these photos below (scroll down), now those I find extraordinarily appealing.

I like muscles. I like seeing the definition, and I absolutely find it sexy...very appealing. But when it gets to where the muscles start looking, well, like the photos above - that's too much for me. There's a balance there, a little bit this way, a little that way - that's perfection - in MY Eyes. But truth be told, it's really a wide range of physiques that can ring my bell. Obviously, not every female is going to feel the same way. Everyone has their own idea of physical attraction, and what rings their bell, doesn't always ring it for someone else. I would expect most adults would certainly know this.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm235/chesapeakemom/bodybuilder-Christian-Gee-5767018.jpg (broken link)

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm235/chesapeakemom/malephys.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by ChessieMom; 07-15-2011 at 10:17 AM..

Old 07-15-2011, 09:55 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I like muscles. I like seeing the definition, and I absolutely find it sexy...very appealing. But when it gets to where the muscles start looking, well, like the photos above - that's too much for me.
So, are the pics below examples of good or too much for you?

Old 07-15-2011, 09:56 AM

478 posts, read 809,565 times
To give everybody some perspective, here is a pro BB who competes at 5'4, Lee Priest. His usual competition weights range from 200-225 based on internet searches.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships