Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who should pay for dinner on the first date?
The Man 99 57.23%
The Female 7 4.05%
They should split 67 38.73%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 09:17 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,283,158 times

Advertisements

So for all the guys that believe "whoever asked"...

You meet an attractive girl. You guys get to talking, find mutual interests and she asks if you want to continue the conversation at the cafe. You guys go to the cafe and have a blast. Great conversation, tons of chemistry and flirting and you can see this going somewhere.

Then the check comes. How many of you guys would EXPECT and ALLOW her to pay for the whole thing since she asked you to the cafe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 09:22 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sKid View Post
Depends on who asked who out. If you asked her out, you should pay. If she asked you out, she should.
That is the new official etiquette for dinning out according to the Today Show this morning.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:23 AM

550 posts, read 604,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
That is the new official etiquette for dinning out according to the Today Show this morning.
Cool!

Old 07-20-2011, 09:25 AM

819 posts, read 1,129,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSnook View Post

You meet an attractive girl. You guys get to talking, find mutual interests and she asks if you want to continue the conversation at the cafe. You guys go to the cafe and have a blast. Great conversation, tons of chemistry and flirting and you can see this going somewhere.

Then the check comes. How many of you guys would EXPECT and ALLOW her to pay for the whole thing since she asked you to the cafe?
I think it should be "whoever asked", but I'm also not crass enough to think it's appropriate for a woman to pay in any circumstance, and women shouldn't be asking guys out in the first place. In the scenario you outlined above, you're already out with the girl; her asking to go somewhere else isn't "asking you out", it's simply a change of venue.

All the guys bitching about women being required to pay are simply overreacting to the overt stupidity perpetrated by feminists who have a double standard about dating. These guys have probably been burned by a woman who said she was "liberated", but still expected to be treated like a lady. You can't really blame them, can you? Even after all the stupid crap girls have done to me in the past, I still think good manners are never inappropriate and thus I always pay for dates, no matter what. One girl actually got into an argument with me, in public, about my insistence of paying for dinner. She flatly refused to let me do so, and made a huge scene about it. Yes, I was embarrassed, and yes she acted moronically, but should I let the bad manners of one woman affect how I treat the rest?

Again, these guys are just bitter and annoyed, with good reason, but they're still wrong. They need to simply not tolerate unladylike behavior and not deal with women who act in such a rude, disrespectful way.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:31 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,277,719 times
Quote:

I pay my part. Nobody twisted my arm to go for coffee with her, I WANTED to go, therefore, I am also responsible for the expenses regardless of price. We are both having a good time, both interested in being there, etc. why leave it all to her and feel entitled?

Old 07-20-2011, 09:39 AM

550 posts, read 604,335 times
Quote:

I'd pay because I enjoyed myself.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:46 AM

46 posts, read 117,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDezi View Post
Please share THE WHY?

The reason for this poll is that it just amazes me how many people believe that the male is SUPPOSED to pay for dates. If he does not he is usually seen as a cheap A$$ho!3. Why cant things be equal? I am all in favor of equality of the sexes but in this matter it never seems to be the case. I think the bills should always be split. Is it because it has always been like that? Is it in the bible? Just because it has always been that way does not make it right. What makes the guy responsible to pay for the bill?

(By the way, I always pay for my dates, not because I believe is right, but because not doing or suggesting a split bill could bring a lot of unpleasantness to the situation.)
It depends. I believe whoever ask for the date should pay. But personally i would pay. ( BTW i am a male)

Old 07-20-2011, 09:55 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
I think it should be "whoever asked", but I'm also not crass enough to think it's appropriate for a woman to pay in any circumstance, and women shouldn't be asking guys out in the first place. In the scenario you outlined above, you're already out with the girl; her asking to go somewhere else isn't "asking you out", it's simply a change of venue.

All the guys bitching about women being required to pay are simply overreacting to the overt stupidity perpetrated by feminists who have a double standard about dating. These guys have probably been burned by a woman who said she was "liberated", but still expected to be treated like a lady. You can't really blame them, can you? Even after all the stupid crap girls have done to me in the past, I still think good manners are never inappropriate and thus I always pay for dates, no matter what. One girl actually got into an argument with me, in public, about my insistence of paying for dinner. She flatly refused to let me do so, and made a huge scene about it. Yes, I was embarrassed, and yes she acted moronically, but should I let the bad manners of one woman affect how I treat the rest?

Again, these guys are just bitter and annoyed, with good reason, but they're still wrong. They need to simply not tolerate unladylike behavior and not deal with women who act in such a rude, disrespectful way.
And why shouldn't women be allowed to ask someone out on a date? The level of condescension and genteel attitude towards women is more disrespectful than anything else here. You claim to care about good manners but then you call a woman a moron for insisting to pay her own way.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:05 AM

406 posts, read 580,595 times
As mention by numerous others, whoever asks pays. I would never ask someone out and expect them to pay. That's not right. But if she asks me out, her ass is paying.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:09 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:

I allow her on many occasions. Honestly, it's not a big deal to me and if it's a big deal her, we're probably not really compatible anyways. There's a million girls out there that I have to check out.. I'm not going to waste my time with someone who cares about such petty things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships