Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who should pay for dinner on the first date?
The Man 99 57.23%
The Female 7 4.05%
They should split 67 38.73%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 08:48 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,439,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I wonder how true that still is in 2015??

I'd fire all the men and hire women if I ran a business......

The simple answer is is that who(m) ever does the asking does the paying, especially at first, if you're a couple after a while, then things relax.

It would also be nice if the askee offered to go Dutch as a polite measure.
I heard on the news that 77 cents is the case when they aren't fully employed, i.e. taking care of children or sick family member. When fully employed it was 94 cents

but yes that's for another thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 08:48 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,247,914 times
I read a recent survey that found that 2/3rd of women 35 and younger say they offer to pay for dates, nearly 50% hope the guy will turn down the offer and nearly 50% get annoyed if he lets her pay.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:58 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,769,580 times
The one who pays controls where we eat.

I don't like those fancy restaurants where you pay 90.00 bucks for a glorified cocktail weenie or get the portion a two year old would eat.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:13 PM

46 posts, read 36,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I believe woman make 77 cents to the dollar of men so.....that should answer your question
That statistic is flawed because it's comparing people in different job descriptions. Men tend to be more ambitious in their careers; many women take time off for kids so they choose slower career paths, etc.

When you compare women and men with similar job titles and responsibilities, etc, the pay differences shrink or vanish. My late wife and I always had similar jobs and career paths and we always made similar amounts of money. At the time of her death she was making a few thousand a year more than me.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soy sauce View Post
I read a recent survey that found that 2/3rd of women 35 and younger say they offer to pay for dates, nearly 50% hope the guy will turn down the offer and nearly 50% get annoyed if he lets her pay.
Could you cite the source for that survey?

Old 04-03-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
This makes sense to me. OLD first meeting is not really a date, in my opinion, it's just an introduction to see if you want to actually date.
Yes, that's a good way to think about it.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
It wasn't a game. What's even funnier is that he took my cash and put it in his wallet and paid for both of our drinks with his credit card.
You said:

Quote:
The bill comes, I pull out my money for my drink and he accepts it! Oh well.
So you took your money out, but in reality didn't expect to spend it. That's why I called it a game. You're sending a false signal and then getting mad because the other person thought you were being sincere.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:31 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,779,154 times
I'm old fashioned and feel the guy should always pay for dates and for dinners out. Even my ex GF, who I was with for 7 years, would split the bill with me for dinners, and I never felt comfortable with her doing that, but she insisted. Every so often I would say "This is my treat tonight, put your money away."

Don

Old 04-03-2015, 09:45 PM

52,011 posts, read 52,464,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I'm old fashioned and feel the guy should always pay for dates and for dinners out. Even my ex GF, who I was with for 7 years, would split the bill with me for dinners, and I never felt comfortable with her doing that, but she insisted. Every so often I would say "This is my treat tonight, put your money away."

Don
I tend toward being old school myself and I would never let a woman pay for the first couple of dates, but after a bit I wouldn't mind so much.... especially as you become more of a couple and it helps too if she's making money herself.......

Old 04-03-2015, 09:53 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,879,090 times
I always find it funny that when it comes to who pays for dates, then they are "old fashioned" and think the guy should always pay. But if it comes to should women have equal rights, equal pay, and even special privileges, then they aren't old fashioned anymore. HMM??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships