Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 03:31 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,067,928 times

Advertisements

Single people - do you think a relationship would make you happier? People in relationships - does your relationship make you happier?

I find myself thinking if I had someone that I would be happier. Not that I'm super unhappy right now, but it does feel like something is missing sometimes. Yet when I think of the time I was in a serious relationship I was constantly miserable, so being single has to be better than being in a bad relationship.

Just a general question. What are your experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 03:34 PM

904 posts, read 1,377,047 times
I'm not single, but until you can be happy being single, you likely will not be any happier with a partner. You must learn to be complete, all by yourself. It's not necessarily an easy thing to do. When my first wife and I split up, I had never ever really been alone, I had no idea how to be alone much less be happy being alone. It wasn't until I had figured that out that I found myself ready to be in a relationship again. Likely the most important lesson I've ever learned.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:34 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,905,664 times
For me, relationships are great the first 6 months or so and then become boring and seem to require much more work. So yes, relationships make me happier initially, but stressed out after that 6 month time period.

I'm single, of course, and plan to stay that way for quite some time unless I meet a chick that's just way too good to pass up.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:36 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,042,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Single people - do you think a relationship would make you happier? People in relationships - does your relationship make you happier?

I find myself thinking if I had someone that I would be happier. Not that I'm super unhappy right now, but it does feel like something is missing sometimes. Yet when I think of the time I was in a serious relationship I was constantly miserable, so being single has to be better than being in a bad relationship.

Just a general question. What are your experiences?
It can, but there has to be a foundation there at least. People may be happy in one aspect of their lives but not another, And it can weigh on them. A healthy relationship can give one hope, provide companionship, support and help an individual understand what it is like to give and receive. People are social by nature and while some may be content with being single relationship wise there are always moments where they may be dining alone after numerous times having done so and think "it's too quiet. Ya know?".

The choice they make then is up to them, Their situation.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:38 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,431,365 times
My life is pretty good right now. I've worked hard to get here and I'm looking forward to the next chapter for the first time in a long time. I've got a lot of love and companionship in my life but I do miss being part of something bigger than myself. I wouldn't say a relationship would make me happy, but rather just enhance what I've already got going on.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:38 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,928,467 times
Of course I would. It's even better when the woman is putting in the same amount of effort on the relationship as I am, whish I've found to be incredibly rare.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:40 PM

16,401 posts, read 30,805,450 times
Just a different type of happiness. I'm extremely content single and I have a great time and when I'm in a (good) relationship I'm happy.

A happy person will be happy whether they're single or not, and an unhappy person will be unhappy whether they're in a relationship or not.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:40 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,931,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhacer View Post
I'm not single, but until you can be happy being single, you likely will not be any happier with a partner. You must learn to be complete, all by yourself. It's not necessarily an easy thing to do. When my first wife and I split up, I had never ever really been alone, I had no idea how to be alone much less be happy being alone. It wasn't until I had figured that out that I found myself ready to be in a relationship again. Likely the most important lesson I've ever learned.
Spot on

I learned this as well...and low and behold once I learned this, it changed the whole way I acted on dates and it ended up leading me to my wife

In a nutshell I was very happy in my last days of being single and I'm very happy now married. Unfortunately there are plenty of people out there that think a relationship will make them happy but they could not be more wrong.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:43 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,123,597 times
I'm content either way - contentedness is what I tend to strive for. That said, I really dislike the very early stages of a relationship when you're always "on". I am beginning to get a tad bored, so I may decide to attempt a relationship at some point, but I have no sense of urgency about the matter.

I agree with the posters who stated that you'll never be happy in a relationship if you can't be happy with yourself first.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:46 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,067,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Spot on

I learned this as well...and low and behold once I learned this, it changed the whole way I acted on dates and it ended up leading me to my wife

In a nutshell I was very happy in my last days of being single and I'm very happy now married. Unfortunately there are plenty of people out there that think a relationship will make them happy but they could not be more wrong.
How do you think you changed? What did you do different?

I have a great life. Good job, good apartment, lots of friends and family that care about me and vice versa. I've started going to the gym and trying to do more things outside of my usual box...but I can't help deep down I really want someone and I'm wondering if I want it too badly and that's why it's not working out, yet I can't help the way I feel about wanting a relationship. I'm not miserable without one, but I don't feel quite complete either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships