Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 10:04 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,695,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Actually, contrary to popular belief, there is evidence that good looks can be a negative in the workplace, at least for women.

Being pretty might cost you a job | Marie Claire
Interesting article - thank you for sharing.

Quote:
Published by The Royal Economic Society, the research involved the distribution of 5,300 CVs for 2,650 job vacancies. Nearly 20 per cent of attractive men got an interview, but only 12.8 per cent of good-looking women fared as well.
Didn't realize this was the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 10:08 AM

819 posts, read 1,129,360 times
I like talking to good looking women. What's wrong with that?

Old 07-19-2011, 10:19 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,398 times
Quote:
Actually, contrary to popular belief, there is evidence that good looks can be a negative in the workplace, at least for women.

Being pretty might cost you a job | Marie Claire

I would be interested to see the details of this study. I'm not a big fan of these blanketing statements because there are so many circumstances that can skew the data. Most studies that are published include vast misinterpretations of the data. Report those misinterpretations to a magazine writer and now there are two levels of misconception of ideas.

A correct statistical analysis of any data is incredibly rare, especially in non-scientific studies (but even most scientists are TERRIBLE with data recognition and often make false inferences).

Old 07-19-2011, 10:32 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,262,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
I would be interested to see the details of this study. I'm not a big fan of these blanketing statements because there are so many circumstances that can skew the data. Most studies that are published include vast misinterpretations of the data. Report those misinterpretations to a magazine writer and now there are two levels of misconception of ideas.

A correct statistical analysis of any data is incredibly rare, especially in non-scientific studies (but even most scientists are TERRIBLE with data recognition and often make false inferences).

[URL="http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/it-pays-not-to-be-too-attractive-ndash-if-youre-a-woman-looking-for-a-job-2269621.html"]It pays not to be too attractive – if you're a woman looking for a job - Home News, UK - The Independent[/URL]

[URL="http://www.resconference.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=18%3 Ares2011-royal-holloway&Itemid=26&layout=default"]RES2011 Royal Holloway[/URL]

My guess is that you can look up the research in the conference proceedings. I don't have that kind of time today.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:34 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,398 times
Quote:
It pays not to be too attractive – if you're a woman looking for a job - Home News, UK - The Independent

My guess is that you can look up the research in the conference proceedings. I don't have that kind of time today.
Haha neither do I. Interesting findings if they are indeed correct though.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:46 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursofa_king View Post
For example let's say you're a woman and a hunky new male colleague joins your work area. Assuming you also like the sound of his voice, do you treat him more nicely than let's say another male colleague who isn't as physically gifted?

Guys, how do you treat attractive women in your office? I must admit that since being moved to sit with a new group colleagues that one of them has picqued my interest. Even when talking to her about otherwise boring topics like shopping (for men at least), I can't look away. Having an attractive voice doesn't hurt her.

What are your thoughts on engaging attractive vs. ugly people in conversation?
If someone is hideous, be honest, do you keep your distance? I know it would be mighty tough for me to keep eye contact with a woman who looked like this
I will admit I talk to the attractive women more than I do the women who I don't find attractive. Didn't realize I did that until I saw this thread

Old 07-19-2011, 10:49 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
At first maybe....but as I get to know them my perspective changes. We had a really good looking guy start at my workplace, but he turned out to be an ass so I basically ignore him if I can. On the other hand, we have a few 'unattractive' men that I spend a lot of time with because they're awesome people.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:34 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,546,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursofa_king View Post
What are your thoughts on engaging attractive vs. ugly people in conversation?
If someone is hideous, be honest, do you keep your distance? I know it would be mighty tough for me to keep eye contact with a woman who looked like this
I'm usually a lot nicer to less attractive men.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:54 PM

406 posts, read 580,490 times
I don't treat attractive and unattractive women any differently. But, I'll also admit I'm in a huge minority.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:08 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times
I am going to speak from personal experience. I work in the male dominant environment right now with salesmen around me and I can tell that I am treated differently in comparison to my male or older female coworkers. I am very professional and keep all of them at arms length, but I can't help but notice how friendly they are towards me and that they are more lenient towards the way I work with them.
In the past, my work environment was dominated by women and gay men, so I never experienced this before. To be honest, its a little uncomfortable for me and induces jealousy from others. I make it a point to continue working professionally and not be a victim of unwarranted rumors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships