Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 09:33 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,210,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
Converting religions can work if the person converting isn't too attached to their previous religion (which it sounds like you aren't) and they don't have qualms about fully joining the new religion (which it sounds like you do.)

Honestly, the bigger concern for me would be that your potential GF has no qualms about getting close to you and causing an issue in her marriage. I'd worry that same level of faithfulness would translate into any relationship you formed.
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 09:40 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,328,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Im thinking you better get religious very soon if you are planning on getting involved with another man's wife. You could very well meet your maker quite soon.
This.

Additionally, there have been cases in the United States and in the United Kingdom where heads of household from countries where Islam was the majority religion killed their children and/or wives due to acts they deemed as insolent and disrespectful.

Perhaps this mingles w/ the traditionalist family norms and mores of Arab society; not all Arabs are Muslims, and not all Muslims are Arabs.

Still, if this is a Muslim husband, you can bet he's got old-school family values and pride, and if some Muslim men will beat their wives for things that to westerners are no big deal, ask yourself how he'll react (not just to her, but to YOU) if he finds out there is something inappropriate going on between his wife and you.

Back off from this woman; she is another man's wife. She does not belong to you and if she has marital problems, it is her problem/issue and her husband's - not yours.

You wouldn't want YOUR wife one day getting close to a single man, would you?

Old 07-21-2011, 10:25 AM

112 posts, read 255,548 times
Ok...to clear things up. Nothing has happened between us. We live in different countries currently. We have only talked on the phone and messaging. I haven't seen her in about 3-4 years. I know that could be construed as emothinal cheating, so I guess you can take that how you want. She talked about divorce from the start 2 years ago when we started talking again. Our friendship just sort of grew a little closer. We get along very well. She is very into her faith whereas I am not really into mine at all. That's the reason she won't convert. The topic of me converting has come up and she even asked if I would convert for her. The thought was already in my head before she asked. And just to be clear I'm not pushing this at all. I'm not putting ideas in her head. I would never even do anything until she was officially divorced.

The only problem with the whole thing is that Im not really religious at all. It's not a factor in my life really. If I did in fact convert it would now influence pretty much everything I do. That's the part I'm struggling with.

So my initial question was has anyone who was not into their religion, or religion in general, converted for someone and how did that turn out? I know it's a completely personal decision and I'm not gonna find my answer on a forum but I'm just curious to hear some stories of anyone who went through it.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
Honestly, the bigger concern for me would be that your potential GF has no qualms about getting close to you and causing an issue in her marriage. I'd worry that same level of faithfulness would translate into any relationship you formed.

I did not cause the riff in the relationship. They have serious problems on their own

Old 07-21-2011, 10:30 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,328,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king kong bundy View Post
Ok...to clear things up. Nothing has happened between us. We live in different countries currently. We have only talked on the phone and messaging. I haven't seen her in about 3-4 years. I know that could be construed as emothinal cheating, so I guess you can take that how you want. She talked about divorce from the start 2 years ago when we started talking again. Our friendship just sort of grew a little closer. We get along very well. She is very into her faith whereas I am not really into mine at all. That's the reason she won't convert. The topic of me converting has come up and she even asked if I would convert for her. The thought was already in my head before she asked. And just to be clear I'm not pushing this at all. I'm not putting ideas in her head. I would never even do anything until she was officially divorced.

The only problem with the whole thing is that Im not really religious at all. It's not a factor in my life really. If I did in fact convert it would now influence pretty much everything I do. That's the part I'm struggling with.

So my initial question was has anyone who was not into their religion, or religion in general, converted for someone and how did that turn out? I know it's a completely personal decision and I'm not gonna find my answer on a forum but I'm just curious to hear some stories of anyone who went through it.
I politely suggest you try to find a woman in your own country - in your state if not zip code. I am by no means being sarcastic - you've spent 2 years online with this woman. The mere fact she's married puts up a roadblock to anything between you two, far more than religion.

You say it's more about religion, but the fact you posit religion your story as an obstacle between you two ever becoming serious shows you're developing (if not already developed) strong feelings for a woman whose affections are to be her husband's alone. You are, in a way, engaging in emotional "adultery" with this woman (even if this is not as destructive as actual physical adultery).

Old 07-21-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-writer-guy View Post
Its wrong to change your religion because of a relationship. You should change your religion because you actually BELIEVE in the other religion. If she truly loves you then she will accept your religion as it is. In fact in all honesty that is good test. Simply tell her that you love her and want to be with her, but you are not fake, and will not become a muslim. Then see if she loves you more or her religion more.

In the Muslim religion it is forbidden for a woman to marry a man who is not Muslim. She most likely wouldn't go for it. If the situation ever arises and I decide I can't convert I would say all those things and see what happens. That situation would be tough down the road though when it comes to having kids and what religion they will be if any.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Seriously?

For you to change your religious beliefs, it has to be because your current system of thought no longer works for you, not because some woman bats her eyes your way. And it's not as if you're changing from being Catholic to being Episcopalian or Lutheran or even Baptist. It is a radical, 180-degree turn in faith. Unless you are truly, emotionally prepared to do that in an immersive way--which I'm guessing you are decidedly not--then don't do it. You'll wind up hating her for it.

This isn't the place for a religious debate but I find the differences between Islam and Christianity to be minor. It's more of a 60 degree difference maybe than a 180 degree difference. They both teach the same values and they both worship the same God. Jesus is still highly revered, just in a different way. It's more a matter of practicing the faith a little differently and giving up a few things such as pork, alcohol, and gambling.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:52 AM

Also, I already know the chances of this happening are slim to none. I don't have any delusions of me converting and us being one big happy Muslim family. I, once again, was curious if anyone did this before.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:56 AM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Quote:
Has anyone here ever converted to a different religion for a relationship? If so, what was your experience like with family, friends, etc. Did it work out in the end?

Reason I ask is because I have been talking to a Muslim woman for a couple years. We met about 5 years ago and started talking again about 2 years ago. She's married but she hates her husband. We started out just talking as friends but eventually grew relatively close. Close to the point where there may be feelings on both sides. Now I am not really a religious person. I'm a Catholic by upbringing but that's the extent of it. She is a practicing Muslim. In order for me to be with her I would have to convert AND practice. Now normally I would have no problem converting and calling myself whatever I had to to make this work but the practicing part is what's holding me back. It's something I'm working on. I'm trying to reevaluate my religious beliefs to see if it's possible. Anyway, I was just curious if anyone here has had the same experience?

Are you Al Bundy???

Old 07-21-2011, 11:58 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
This isn't the place for a religious debate but I find the differences between Islam and Christianity to be minor. It's more of a 60 degree difference maybe than a 180 degree difference. They both teach the same values and they both worship the same God. Jesus is still highly revered, just in a different way. It's more a matter of practicing the faith a little differently and giving up a few things such as pork, alcohol, and gambling.
Actually, I'm not having a religious debate with you. However, having friends who are Muslim, I think it is a bit naive to think the differences are as trivial as seem to think.

All that being said, your clarification above speaks volumes about your degree of confusion about love in general. I mean, you haven't even met the woman in person yet you're going to take these radical steps over a woman who is married? I think you need your head examined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships