Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 07:46 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,182,182 times

Advertisements

In my experience it is serveral things. One being 'buyers remorse.' Yeah, to him it seemed like a good idea at the time, but in the light of day with a clear head - maybe not so much.

The other is a polite segue out of a conversation so he can move on to other things or people. Instead of just saying, 'Nice talking to you later" It's being less of a cad and a more polite way of exiting the situation. It's not much different than the trite line, 'Hey, I'll call you." when the person knows good and well they won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 08:03 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,759,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna777 View Post
if a guy is too busy for sex, then he must ..."not be that into you". UNless you are also dating over 40 yr old man, what do you know about being one as a 26 yr old?...exactly.

You are right about the upfront thing , but that does kill the natural fun of it. He just changed his mind, I just didnt realize guys that old were also capable of being wish-washy about simple dating/hooking up especially when putting themselves out there to ask for a number.

You being a straight 26 yr old man, speaking about what 40 yr olds when you havent dated one, is very odd.....and setting my goofball meter off.
Is it possible that the guy could have religious or other reasons, for not wanting a purely-physical relationship?

Old 07-22-2011, 08:19 AM

154 posts, read 392,005 times
These guys arent religious, hehe But I would understand if they were. These are guys who asked people out during the sober daylight hours, it would make sense if he had been drunk when going out of his way for a number. Again, I am just surprised that men who have been in the game that long can be so indecisive while sober.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:51 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Ha-ha, that's the urban dictionary word of the day:

Maintenance Texts

Sending text messages to those people you'd like to date "Someday" or "eventually" to remind them that you exist. It's a low effort way to maintain a connection without having to really commit to anything serious.

Q: "Have you heard from that guy you met in that bar last week?"

A: "Yeah, he's sent me a few maintenance texts tonight, asking where we were but not wanting to meet up. LAME!"

Old 07-22-2011, 09:07 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,759,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna777 View Post
These guys arent religious, hehe But I would understand if they were. These are guys who asked people out during the sober daylight hours, it would make sense if he had been drunk when going out of his way for a number. Again, I am just surprised that men who have been in the game that long can be so indecisive while sober.
Ah...I see...very fascinating...

In any event though, it sounds like the guy in question was a total chump, to pass up on your friend...totally his loss

Old 07-22-2011, 09:38 AM

154 posts, read 392,005 times
sierra, maintenance texts...haha

Knight, yeh...she is pretty hot!..both of my friends with simular stories are....thats why it made no sense for the guy not to follow up. He saw them in daylight hours, no make up and he was sober...lol Afterwards he asked them out, cant get any more real than that

another one of lifes mysteries!

Old 07-22-2011, 09:58 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,876,725 times
the only time I took a number and didnt call..was because I wasnt interested, but the girl seemed really eager and to get out of the possible confrontation/drama, ego issues I opted for taking the number and not calling. Would I do that now if I were single again, probably not.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:45 PM

819 posts, read 1,129,573 times
We could reword the original question to be: Girls who give their numbers but do not answer? For every girl I never called after getting her number, there were about ten who didn't answer or gave me fakes.

I do remember one girl whose number I got, right before my grandmother died. Never did call her because I sort of forgot about it due to more pressing issues. Found out later from a mutual friend she was pissed at me for not calling, but also that she had no intention of ever going out with me, either. I'll never quite understand that one.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:22 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,551,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
Men think about sex every seven seconds...thats why I eat a corndog as fast as six seconds..so I dont feel creepy

But seriously...Its called testing the waters, not if I do, but if I can, when getting a phone#. Most older attractive woman have baggage much like older men...Am I really dumb enough to fall for a pretty face..not so much.

This. Getting the number gives them the confidence so that when the girl they really do like comes along, they can ask.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:57 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,469,507 times
I don't ask for numbers. Women ask me for mine - and call. Just because it happened twice this past week, and not even once in the prior 10 years doesn't diminish this milestone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships