Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 09:19 PM

154 posts, read 392,033 times

Advertisements

Okay,

I myself have not experienced this, but am dealing with 3 friends in the past year who have dealt with it and while I try to help them come up with an answer, I really don't know.

I consider myself pretty in the know about men, since I have much experience, many guys friends and think more like a guy than most guys...but I cant figure this one out. Here it goes:

A guy goes out of his way to pursue, get a girls number/or give her his business card and ask her out...the girl only wants to have sex but pretends to be a lady (like most young females) and takes his business card, later texting him her number. The guy responds days later, they exchange a few friendly texts...but he never calls again to ask her out. In all the cases of this I have heard the guy is upper 40's and the girl is late twenties or early thirties. It bewilders me why an interested guy does not seal the deal on a hook up. Like I said the only common factor is them being older males. None of them are commited, just in the dating scene and divorcees, so do not say other women are the issue , especially considering the casual/sexual easy going fling it could have been.
Two of my friends who this happened to are both pretty damn attractive. They are baffled by this odd older man behavior as well as me. Certainly the guy was interested because he is the one who asked for their number. I dont ask men out, so maybe that is why I can not put myself for once in a guys shoes. I do avoid guys I give my number to when they call the day after I was drunk....is this the same thing? BTW: This is in daytime business hours while both parties were sober (in all cases).

Guesses anyone? Whats going on with older dudes today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 09:54 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,470,434 times
Perhaps they have a large backlog and your number hasn't come up yet? Or maybe their wives won't let them. For others it may be a catch and release kind of game.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:57 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Or maybe their wives won't let them. For others it may be a catch and release kind of game.
Isn't that the previous type rephrased?

Old 07-21-2011, 09:58 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times
Self gratification

Old 07-21-2011, 10:01 PM

I mean the guys havent had sex yet, so it isnt a diss....

both of my friends told me the guy pursued them and then never followed up. My friend also know the guys through a friend, so it is def not marriage or commitment keeping him from calling....as I told her, men will always call if they are truely interested. I just cant come up with a logical reason why he asked her out, but never followed up. Men always follow up for a hook up, I thought.

I used to cheat on my BF's and not be able to call back other guys, because he was around...but thats not the same situation with these guys. It is definitely a mystery to me!

Old 07-21-2011, 10:02 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,027,912 times
Men think about sex every seven seconds...thats why I eat a corndog as fast as six seconds..so I dont feel creepy

But seriously...Its called testing the waters, not if I do, but if I can, when getting a phone#. Most older attractive woman have baggage much like older men...Am I really dumb enough to fall for a pretty face..not so much.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:03 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Here comes Christian, The Guru!

Why Men Get Your Number But Never Call | Christian Carter - Dating Questions For Women

Old 07-21-2011, 10:04 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,054,582 times
I've done that before, but it's usually because after a few texts or conversations I conclude that she is usually not worth the extra effort to tolerate, and she wasn't my only option. However, to not call or text at all, maybe someone better came along.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:07 PM

If they had that much baggage, I do not know why they pursued (even blushed she said) and put themselves through getting her number. Maybe you are right, for older men who are in mid life, maybe it is a "let me see if she'll just give mer her number" kind of thing. Wow, if so....

thats really lame....like 50 yr olds converting back to being 12 . Yikes....20 somethings better stay with 20 somethings....older men must be wrecked with issues. Younger guys dont so wierd stuff like that, they call, end up hooking up and usually even remain buddies afterward and everyone just has a good time. I dont get men over 40....from what I have been hearing they are def emotional and very odd, along with having a whole other system when dealing with women. (they do not seem as cool about the whole casual dating thing) ..

Old 07-21-2011, 10:08 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Self gratification
Also being let down or not contacted is not only easier......also less insulting, as in alot of cases as the woman will wonder why and not know why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships