Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever been "picked up" by a stranger on the street?
Yes, and it went well 10 26.32%
Yes, and it went badly 5 13.16%
I've been asked out by a complete stranger but I said no 19 50.00%
I've never been asked out by a complete stranger 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 05:47 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSnook View Post
Personally for me, it would not be the right assumption that I was trying to pick her up. I smile at old people, say good morning to bums and street vendors. I always smile and make funny faces at little kids, but does that insinuate something, I hope not! I just enjoy the silly things in life.

Now with that being said if I was single, smiled at an attractive lady and we got to flirting, would I probably want to go out with her? Sure, I think that's a fair assumption
That makes sense to me. I smile at people too, though sometimes they take it the wrong way!
As far as the bolded...see, to me the fact that you "got to flirting" before asking her out on a date makes you less of a complete stranger. You've talked. You've seen a tiny fragment of her personality. It wasn't, "hi, my name is BKSnook, can I take you out to dinner sometime?" There was something, however little, in between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 01:06 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
Everyone is a stranger at first. Even your husband was a stranger.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:26 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,275,921 times
I asked for directions while walking in the city. This nice girl helped me, I thanked her, and walked to my destination. A block or two later I see she walking the same direction. I joked asking her if she was following me or something. She was just walking the same direction to a train station. We stopped for a chat. Introduced ourselves and talked for a while. Before we said goodbye she told me she wanted to see me again and asked for a way to keep in touch. We exchanged phone numbers and email. She asked me out and it was just fine. This was in Japan.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:35 PM

946 posts, read 2,917,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
I asked for directions while walking in the city. This nice girl helped me, I thanked her, and walked to my destination. A block or two later I see she walking the same direction. I joked asking her if she was following me or something. She was just walking the same direction to a train station. We stopped for a chat. Introduced ourselves and talked for a while. Before we said goodbye she told me she wanted to see me again and asked for a way to keep in touch. We exchanged phone numbers and email. She asked me out and it was just fine. This was in Japan.
Hmmm. I might try that trick myself . (Now I know she wasn't playing any trick to get your attention.) It reminds me of when I was abroad and I would get lost every so often- I would often stop in the street to look at my map or around, and within a few seconds men would approach me to help. It would always lead to conversations because they inevitably ask where I'm from, what I'm doing, etc. It's a good way to pick someone up. My friends would tease me because often I would pretend to be lost just to talk to a cute guy.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:49 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,429,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
I'm trying to understand why some men try to pick up dates out in public and whether or not that actually works. ...when a guy actually accosts you for your name and phone number or asks if they can "get to know you". I'm baffled that a complete stranger would assume that I'd just go on a date without knowing anything about him...
I dont know how old you are. But by this being so astounding to you, I get the impression you must be much younger. I think people do need to be careful about who and how they meet these days. Online in person and even after learing a few background things, one can never expect to fully know someone's heart.

But you see, some men may be still in the old school. Back when I was growing up in the stone age, there was no Facebook or PlentyofFish. There was no online. And it was commonly accepted for gentlemen to politely 'accost' women they were attracted to, in the market, the pub or even on the street. This was how people used to get together and create if not families, at least romance. I think the vintage term would be 'courting'.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:23 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,282,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
But you see, some men may be still in the old school. Back when I was growing up in the stone age, there was no Facebook or PlentyofFish. There was no online. And it was commonly accepted for gentlemen to politely 'accost' women they were attracted to, in the market, the pub or even on the street. This was how people used to get together and create if not families, at least romance. I think the vintage term would be 'courting'.
Granted there was no technological avenues to meet women, is the old-school way to pick up female strangers on the street?

What about social circles, co-workers and college friends?

While I can definitely see the "cold approach" being more frequently used and accepted, it would be surprising if that was actually the most common way men and women met.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:34 AM

339 posts, read 836,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
Whenever this happens to me I'm baffled that a complete stranger would assume that I'd just go on a date without knowing anything about him (and he doesn't know anything about me!).
Are you also baffled by his guts and courage? Is it shocking that some men have BALLS?

Old 08-03-2011, 10:46 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh8 View Post
Are you also baffled by his guts and courage? Is it shocking that some men have BALLS?
It kind of is... if this forum is any representation of the situation out there!

I personally applaud them! I'm used to it, but I know it's not common here.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:40 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh8 View Post
I wasn't. I've twice been approached by strangers, went out with them, ended up dating them for a while. The relationships didn't last, but it was fun for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships