Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 09:36 AM

635 posts, read 1,704,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
You've identified part of my point. However, the majority of people put their hopes into "irrational" things (mostly a God). Since this is seemingly inescapable to some degree, you need to find a way to live with it. Unless she's trying to convince you that it could change your life or she's trying to somehow manipulate you into it, how impactful has it really been on the relationship?

Chances are, if you get back into the dating world, you're going to find yourself with someone else who is endeared towards some "irrational" belief. Unless you start specifically searching for strict atheist materialists (who could still be argued as being "irrational"), you gotta deal with it.
No, my gf has not tried to convince me on doing anything. She is great, but I just find it strange that a person can be easily deceive by another human being on telling them what to do with their life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 09:42 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,549,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emirate25 View Post
No, my gf has not tried to convince me on doing anything. She is great, but I just find it strange that a person can be easily deceive by another human being on telling them what to do with their life.
If it gives her comfort and she's not bothering you with it, you need to swallow your desire to inject her with logic and just let her be. If you love her and care about her wellbeing, and it's bringing something positive to her life, why not just go with it? Unless, of course, you take pride in trying to argue your subjective "rationality". You don't argue to her about it, do you?

Old 07-22-2011, 09:45 AM

No, I haven't brought up the psychic discussion with her at all. But now I know why psychics are in business...

Old 07-22-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
No, I haven't brought up the psychic discussion with her at all. But now I know why psychics are in business...
That's good. It's good to hear that you haven't bothered her with it yet. Not saying you shouldn't have at least one discussion if you see it taking a toll on either her or the relationship, but at least you're not pestering her.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:18 PM

819 posts, read 1,129,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
However, the majority of people put their hopes into "irrational" things (mostly a God)
Belief in God is in no way irrational. Perhaps you mean a belief based upon non-empirical datum...or perhaps you don't understand what "irrational" actually means.

Anyway, I dated a girl for a while who was really into John Edward. She bought into that stupidity 100% and paid something like $500 to go to one of his seminars. Even after I explained what cold reading was and how he was nothing more than a really lousy stage magician, she paid quite a bit of money for a private phone call with the guy. Good stuff.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:19 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,210,761 times
Show her this video, see what she thinks

‪Orson Welles on Cold Reading‬‏ - YouTube

Are you aware these psychics could tell her that you are cheating on her or to leave you? If she sees it as a fun parlor trick, fine but if this is what guides her, then I'd be cautious.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
Show her this video, see what she thinks

‪Orson Welles on Cold Reading‬‏ - YouTube

Are you aware these psychics could tell her that you are cheating on her or to leave you? If she sees it as a fun parlor trick, fine but if this is what guides her, then I'd be cautious.
Exactly... I think my gf will actually will dump if a psychic will tell her that I wasn't good for her.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:56 PM

951 posts, read 1,810,619 times
Default My GF Believes in Psychics

Better than psychos, a more common problem!

Old 07-22-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
Belief in God is in no way irrational. Perhaps you mean a belief based upon non-empirical datum...or perhaps you don't understand what "irrational" actually means.

Anyway, I dated a girl for a while who was really into John Edward. She bought into that stupidity 100% and paid something like $500 to go to one of his seminars. Even after I explained what cold reading was and how he was nothing more than a really lousy stage magician, she paid quite a bit of money for a private phone call with the guy. Good stuff.
Umm... I have "irrational" in quotations as I was quoting the application of that word from someone else in the thread. I think that what could be considered irrational, especially as it relates to the supernatural (which, to me, would include psychic powers) is subjective. And yes, I do know what it rationality is. You can unbunch your panties now.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:28 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
I love my girlfriend a lot and she is the best woman that I ever met but...she is into psychics. She has told me that in the past, she has been to them in order to see what her future holds.

It seems that her whole family has gone to them and they actually use them as a guidance to their future.

My gf tells me that she was very skeptical about them until they started telling her events that actually came through, birth dates of people that she knew etc...

Should I be worried about this? I love my gf and she is a very smart girl, I am just dumbfounded on why she believes what psychics tell her.
First of all, I assume that your girlfriend is a grown woman. Since you are married you have nothing to say about the way she spends her money. So, I assume that you are more concerned with her "well being" than anything.

I will tell you that there was a time when I did psychic readings over the telephone. To be honest, I am not as gifted as I would have liked to be, but that it is a skill that can be learned with training and practice. In many cases, psychic skill was not even necessary because quite a lot of people just wanted someone to talk to or needed a little common sense to get their affairs straight. But, as I said, the skill can be learned, and I did a fair job, I believe.

You should not assume that psychics are all fakes. Yes, some are. Some people are just after the money. But in many cases there are quite gifted people out there who can help someone with difficult choices or situations. It is no different than paying a psychologist or counselor for their services.

If your girlfriend feels that she benefits in some way from these services, then that should be the most important thing. Not whether or not you believe in, or approve of them.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships