Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 02:07 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,681,845 times

Advertisements

I thought it might be interesting to share how we get our domestic chores done. Who does what in your household?

My husband and I have no children and no pets in our home, so it's pretty simple. I also work at home which makes life easier in a lot of ways. Here's my routine for a typical work day. I spend more time and do deeper cleaning on weekends.

MORNING RITUAL (approximate time: 30 -45 minutes)

* Make bed (launder bedding and deep clean bedroom on Thursdays)
* Wipe down the shower, toilet and counters (Deep clean on Wednesdays)
* Water houseplants and container plants on lanai each morning.
* Prepare breakfast for hubby and myself
* Clean up kitchen, load dishwasher, swiffer the floor.(Deep clean kitchen on Tuesdays)
* Load washer/dryer
* Sweep the lanai and front entry

MIDDAY RITUAL (approximate time: 30-45 minutes)
* Run errands (banking, post office, groceries, misc. errands)

EVENING RITUAL: (approximate time: 60-90 minutes)
* Load washer/dryer
* Dust and Vacuum (Deep clean living room on Tuesdays)
* Sort mail, shred junk mail, pay bills, return phone calls
* Clean/re-organize fridge before starting meal prep.
* Meal and Cooking prep
* Meal and Cooking clean up
* Yard work (requires daily upkeep, but the lawn is mowed on Fridays)

Here's what my husband does:

* Sometimes he grocery shops if he wants items I don't buy (like cookies and junk food).
* Sometimes he gives advice/comments regarding bills to pay.
* Sometimes he cleans up the kitchen after a meal. If I am tired, I might leave it a mess and ignore it, then he will step up without any prodding from me (which is nice).
* If something breaks or leaks, he fixes it.
* He likes to make sure that the condiments in the fridge haven't passed their expiration date.

Last edited by boodhabunny; 07-22-2011 at 02:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 02:23 PM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
I thought it might be interesting to share how we get our domestic chores done. Who does what in your household?
Im not married, but my bf lives with me as do my 2 sons temporarily. I do almost all the cooking and most of the cleaning (my oldest helps with that).

I get up at 5 feed 3 horses, 5 goats, 5 dogs, 2 cats , 3 turkeys, 7 guineas and a whole bunch of chickens, get to work at 6-7. Do the shopping after work, get home abaout 5. Cook if I feel like it, clean up the kitchen, sweep the floor, pick up crap, do MY laundry, and towels. Bytch if there are cig ashes anywhere, bytch if the dehumidifiers aren’t empty, bytch if clothes aren’t put away, bytch at my bf if the bed isn’t made then take care of the animals. Weekends I sweep/mop, do laundry, clean bathroom, dust furniture, cook and whatever else I have time for inside.

The bf and sons mow, weed eat, carry heavy stuff, help me weed, burn brush, work on the barn and what ever other chore I bytch about.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:30 PM

Those animals are a lot of extra work, 2mares!

I try to get up at 5 am but I just can't seem to do it.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:35 PM

On certain days I focus on a room and give it special attention. That might mean cleaning mirrors, organizing a drawer, cleaning the microwave, washing throw rugs or whatever else needs extra attention. I wash windows, clean out closets, maintain my car, and other stuff like that on weekends. I also do self-care on weekends such as mani/pedi's, waxes, hair cuts, etc.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:36 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,804,334 times
Butler

Old 07-22-2011, 03:54 PM

That would be my husband's solution as well and he has suggested it. Unless I had a very large home, I prefer to do it myself.

I'm too private a person. I don't like the idea of hired help being in my home, possibly going through my personal things. I suppose having someone wash all the windows would be okay.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:13 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
boodabunny, I'm not that organized. I wish. Mornings are tough for me. I try to be out the door by 6:30am if possible. Some days it happens. I'll get coffee and oatmeal together, wipe the bathroom after getting ready, make sure the pets have food/water, and sprint for the door. This takes about an hour. While on the road I typically call my husband with tasks that need to be completed (if he's home for the day). When I get home depends on my job. I left early today (4:00pm), but some days I don't get back here until 7-8pm. I'll have a glass of wine as soon as I change out of work clothes and start thinking about dinner. That's what I'm doing right now.

He just unloaded the dishwasher. I'll go up there (in the basement apartment because it's cool) and wipe the kitchen counters down and start prepping dinner. Once finished, I'll rinse the dishes and load the washer; take care of the recycling and plant watering. Laundry will be done tonight and I'll straighten up my b-r and living room. The dog needs to be walked, but it's so darn hot out. My dh will take her later tonight. The litter has not been dealt with. I'll have him do that after dinner.

If it wasn't 97 degree I'd start working on the trim for my front door. It's sitting on the lawn right now. I don't know how tomorrow will go. It's going to be another scorcher. Over the weekend there will be a big clean. Dh will mow the lawn on Sunday if it isn't too hot. I'll garden and do yard work if it isn't too hot.

None of this includes the laundry list of house projects that need to be completed.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:22 PM

It sounds like you work long hours, Braunwyn. I'll admit, I can be organized more easily because I work from home. It makes life easier for sure.

For example, I can wander around the house and do a load of wash while I'm talking on the phone. Plus, there's no commute time.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:30 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,083,561 times
Morning ritual wake up at 3:45.
Stumble across dark room so as not to wake her.
Hope bastard cat has not pooped or thrown up in my path. Only uses litter when he feels like it. He's like 13 years old, he's not going to change. I just hope he dies soon! My wonderful, playful, caring, best friend cat died and the bastard doesn't get along with new adoption attempts.
Start coffee maker.
Turn on outer lights and look for bombs by bastard cat, usually... ahhh there is his latest creation in my sneakers! Resist urge to kick bastard cat to death.
Wake up MY dog. Put on his leash. Take him for walk. Take him home, unleash him. Watch him warily lookout for bastard cat. Once he decides coast is clear makes beeline for bed with SO.
Look at shambles of garden on way to work. Shake head, swear death to all North American bushy tail tree rats and get in truck.
Work.
Come home.
Do what needs to be done. Too variable to list.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:36 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
It sounds like you work long hours, Braunwyn. I'll admit, I can be organized more easily because I work from home. It makes life easier for sure.

For example, I can wander around the house and do a load of wash while I'm talking on the phone. Plus, there's no commute time.
Yea, I'm sure it's fantastic to not only work from home, but avoid the commute. I hate it. I rarely have down time on my job to deal with other stuff (bill paying and what not). Some days I'm so burnt that I will, but most days I'm just crazy. Honestly, if I didn't have to attend so many meetings it would make life a lot easier. They easily suck up one day a week. Also, I have to work at home on the weekends sometimes, like this weekend (scientists just love to have journal clubs, bleh). Given the heat I'll be inside any way. I'd rather watch movies, tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships