Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 02:10 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,385,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I would say without something to compare it too, it would be hard to know they are the one. If you only shop at walmart how would you know quality?
Utterly absurd and an inaccurate, silly generalization. Using this logic, what do you have to say about the millions of people who were virgins when they met "their soul mate," married them and they lived together happily until death? All those couples were wrong, delusional or missing out on something? so they just "settled" for Walmart quality? LOL!!

People who happen to fall in love as teenagers and remain together forever (happily), didn't "need someone to compare them to." They knew from early on this was the right one. And if they remain married for 50 or 60 years, this proves the "logic" quoted above is specious in the extreme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 02:14 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,385,201 times
Quote:
If you marry your HS sweetheart and never experience anything else, you will always wonder what you have missed.
How do you know this? Unless this has been your experience, how can you speak with any authority about it?

I married my HS sweetheart, though we waited until we were both 29 to make it official. Neither of us sit around and wonder "what we missed." In fact, it's never occured to me to think this way. I love him, I'm happy, why the hell would I ever think I missed out of anything?

I know several other couples who married their HS lover. Two are in their 40's now and one couple are both 62 years old. A few months back, we discussed this very thing and they all laughed about it. None wonders what they supposedly missed out on.

It's the people who endlessly date, get dumped and become bitter by being repeatedly burned in their love relationships who are missing something. And that's true love, which lasts and grows and enriches both partners. I know whereof I speak.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:31 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,874,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
It's the people who endlessly date, get dumped and become bitter by being repeatedly burned in their love relationships who are missing something. And that's true love, which lasts and grows and enriches both partners. I know whereof I speak.
the irony is you are judging those who date and yet complain about people judging those who found their soulmates right out the gate. Great that your journey didnt require dating multiple people but for some it has/does so why call those who date 'bitter' sometimes you have to date some frogs to get your prince/princess

Old 07-29-2011, 05:51 PM

850 posts, read 1,545,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
What makes ppl (and especially guys) want to "sow their wild oats", to begin with?

I don't understand the underlying psychology, behind the concept? Why not just ideally have one great, long-term, committed, steady love interest, exclusively, that you want to marry and be with, forever? Pls explain the rationale to me, that some ppl have for wanting to have many, short-term love interests, rather than one or only just a few, long-term love interest(s), that goes straight into a marriage?
Because some guys think the extinction of woman is going to end tomorrow. Seriously, some always think the grass is greener and that they are missing something out there. Some end up with diseases trying be a man wh-re*.

Don't be this guy!

Old 07-29-2011, 11:47 PM

48 posts, read 83,998 times
Quote:
What makes ppl (and especially guys) want to "sow their wild oats", to begin with?

I don't understand the underlying psychology, behind the concept? Why not just ideally have one great, long-term, committed, steady love interest, exclusively, that you want to marry and be with, forever? Pls explain the rationale to me, that some ppl have for wanting to have many, short-term love interests, rather than one or only just a few, long-term love interest(s), that goes straight into a marriage?
I doubt many adolescent guys think about marrying at 16 or even 18. And to sow ones wild oats, isn't a premeditated thing. Most of the times people are just trying to understand the opposite sex and how to deal with relationships. Other times you have to endure several relationships to understand yourself better and what to appreciate in a partner you want seriously.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:55 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,874,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusAurelius View Post
I doubt many adolescent guys think about marrying at 16 or even 18. And to sow ones wild oats, isn't a premeditated thing. Most of the times people are just trying to understand the opposite sex and how to deal with relationships. Other times you have to endure several relationships to understand yourself better and what to appreciate in a partner you want seriously.
maybe the best answer yet

Old 07-30-2011, 07:37 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,267,837 times
Heck, I'm still sowing those wild oats and I'm old.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:26 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,567,249 times
Quote:

Its a visceral male urge, to find and conquer as much you know what as possible, thats all

Old 07-31-2011, 09:32 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,201,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnnee View Post
Because some guys think the extinction of woman is going to end tomorrow. Seriously, some always think the grass is greener and that they are missing something out there. Some end up with diseases trying be a man wh-re*.

Don't be this guy!
Why do you only point out men? His question was about people in general.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:39 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,707,492 times
Quote:

Not having read all the replies yet, here is my take on your questions. I got to sow my wild oats by having a few boyfriends before finally finding the "one". Even then, I didn't do all the "sowing of oats" w/everyone if you know what I mean. But when I found the "one" we went to clubs all over town, went out for ice cream at 2 am if we wanted to, saw stupid movies and double-dipped on some. When we got married we worked, we traveled together, did crazy things before having kiddos. Now having kiddos, I am fine with not going out to clubs, our fun now involves the kiddos and we have no regrets since the "oats were sowed" before they came along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships