Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 04:03 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,760,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
But how can you be sure you are compatible with the person you settle down with FOR LIFE, unless you have experienced others to determine what fits you best?
I will know..please trust me, I will know, without a doubt

Quote:
After all, marriage is work--a test of endurance. It is swallowing your pride, biting your lip, giving up your desires for another's. It often boring and at other times frustrating. It does not come easily or naturally, nor does it bear any resemblance to the romantic way you perceive it.
And I truly and genuinely look forward gladly, to all of the above
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 04:04 PM

19 posts, read 20,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
No, you do not. You have absolutely zero clue. Trust me.

Quote:
And I truly and genuinely look forward gladly, to all of the above
You don't even know what that entails, and you should be disqualified from speaking about it unless you're married.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
the assumption is by our age (30's). that certain experiences have taken place, I guess the assumption is that you SHOULD have this experience already, but I do understand that you don't, most likely others do not understand
Very interesting...in my case, perhaps the lack of understanding could be attributed or due to the fact that I did not experience any sort of romantic relationship at all, until I was already 31...just a guess anyway...

Old 07-25-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
Again, you cling to that stuff probably by virtue of overabundance or deprivation as a child. It's emotional, it's a product of a very recent human age, and it's not a biological imperative, even if you find yourself listening to a lot of Maroon 5 when your girlfriend breaks up with you.

What's more, plenty of "serial monogamysts" achieve what you describe with multiple people over decades. Most marriages crumble after decades because people change and evolve, and not always in ways that continue to make them compatible.

This is just a fact of life.
Nothing wrong with being "emotional", in MHO...as long as it's the "positive" emotions...biology alone and of itself is vastly overrated...we are human beings, not animals...

Old 07-25-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
That's what you think, probably because you haven't been exposed to much change.

Kind of goes back to the (admittedly condescending) age remark that someone else made.
Idk...maybe you could be right...

Old 07-25-2011, 04:11 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
I fear for you. You are an abuser's wet dream waiting to happen. This does not sound like real life to me. This is magic thinking.

Are you male? Google Nice Guy syndrome and Hold on to your N.U.T.S. I would hate to see someone take advantage of your innocence.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:12 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Nothing wrong with being "emotional", in MHO...as long as it's the "positive" emotions...biology alone and of itself is vastly overrated...we are human beings, not animals...
No, in point of fact, we are animals first, our human advancements being quite evolutionarily recent.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
You are asking like you are some naive 17-year-old who has never been exposed to anything other than what his family and his church have indoctrinated into him. So you are either asking to bait a conversation or you have lived a deliberately closed-minded and insular life wherein you cannot bring yourself to have friends with different lifestyles than yours. If you had such friends, you'd know various and sundry reasons why they live the way they do.

If you were female I'd be telling you to spare us the babe-in-the-woods routine.
I'm not trying to bait anyone here...I am what I am, as my own particular life experiences are what made me what I am, today... I have had friends of course, but relatively few and far between...a few, very close friendss...

But I have no ulterior motive here...dunno why you think that...

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 07-25-2011 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: Corrected typos

Old 07-25-2011, 04:14 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,648,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I fear for you. You are an abuser's wet dream waiting to happen. This does not sound like real life to me. This is magic thinking.

Are you male? Google Nice Guy syndrome and Hold on to your N.U.T.S. I would hate to see someone take advantage of your innocence.
Would you say the same for girls?

Old 07-25-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
The more life experience you have, the more qualified you are to speak on this topic.

Moreover, if you are young (say, 19 or 20), you've spent 90% of your life being coddled by a caregiver who looked after your needs (parents, step-parents, grandmother, whatever). OF COURSE you think you need "permanence" and constant love/attention. Self-reliance is not in your quiver!

I don't claim to be some old sage at 33, but 13 years ago I felt the same way. You grow out of it. I only just got married this year!
I respectfully disagree...experience with marriage alone does not necessarily automatically translate into success..hence the high divorce rate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships