U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 10:25 AM

21,151 posts, read 18,991,594 times

Advertisements

Seems doable to me, OP. Some couples have separate bedrooms because they want their space; having separate houses is just further out on the same continuum. I like having my man around, so separate residences would work for us, but some people do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Married and living separately? Then I don’t see the point of getting married. Why not remain “bf/gf” or just “dating buddies” if that is the case. You would see each other whenever you feel like it but at the end of the day each go to their place and do as they want.
Because marriage is not the same thing as dating. Marriage is the solemn, public commitment to cherish and support another person above all others for the rest of your life. There's also the simple legal aspect in which you agree to be the other person's next of kin and all that entails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 10:32 AM

12,890 posts, read 12,732,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I don't know if it's normal , but it's common...
I think it's great.

Quote:
I'm a big fan of Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera's house! It's ideal! A regular house with 2 master suites kind of works, too, but the kitchen is still shared...
I remember you showing that house before - such inspiration!

Quote:
Otherwise, living separately, unless really close (and even so), is inconvenient to me. Too much hassle...
More of a hassle than living together?

Old 07-26-2011, 10:36 AM

42,844 posts, read 54,271,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
More of a hassle than living together?
I'm too old to live not knowing where my stuff is when I need it. As a creature of habit, I want my things around and familiar.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I'm too old to live not knowing where my stuff is when I need it. As a creature of habit, I want my things around and familiar.
Oh, that's right - I forgot.

You're a "stuff" person ...

Old 07-26-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Oh, that's right - I forgot.

You're a "stuff" person ...
Yeah, most of us have personal belongings, as strange as it is to you!

Old 07-26-2011, 10:59 AM

5,045 posts, read 2,848,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Because marriage is not the same thing as dating. Marriage is the solemn, public commitment to cherish and support another person above all others for the rest of your life. There's also the simple legal aspect in which you agree to be the other person's next of kin and all that entails.
I was looking at the sentimental aspect of it. Can’t see myself hugging my wife to tell her “goodnight” and then see her driving away to her house just like when I was dating her and then just go to my bed staring at the ceiling wondering if she’s cold or not. But hey, each couple does as they like.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Yeah, most of us have personal belongings, as strange as it is to you!
Hey, it's your baggage - I'll wave when you walk by lugging it.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:19 AM

21,151 posts, read 18,991,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
I was looking at the sentimental aspect of it. Can’t see myself hugging my wife to tell her “goodnight” and then see her driving away to her house just like when I was dating her and then just go to my bed staring at the ceiling wondering if she’s cold or not. But hey, each couple does as they like.
True ... I need my cuddles!

Old 07-26-2011, 11:31 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,786,585 times
Quote:
I need my cuddles!
That's just cruel..

Old 07-26-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
True ... I need my cuddles!
In the house I suggested you can get your cuddles!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships