Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 01:40 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
I think it is the height of cowardice for a woman to hit a man knowing that he will not hit her back.
If you want to use your fists, at least have the courage to do so with someone who can clock you back to teach you some manners.

I have never been in any type of physical fight although I feel prepared to defend myself if I had to.
ITA with you there. Personally I think a man should have every right to hit a woman if she strikes him first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 01:41 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
ITA with you there. Personally I think a man should have every right to hit a woman if she strikes him first.
He does, legally speaking.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:57 PM

78,412 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Nope.

I've had a few opportunities but I've always made smart choices.

Had one guy try to fight me in the parking lot of the grocery store I worked at in my youth (for ahem banging his fiance, but in my defense she said she was single. ) Not wanting to get fired I backed down and he didn't force my hand.

Had a black guy hassle me in a Mcdonalds bathroom in college but sadly the group of friends waiting for me outside (and I KNOW he had friends around) were my nerdy buddies that would have gotten annihilated so I swallowed my pride for the greater good. That would have been funny though because I don't look imposing but wrestled extensively and am much faster and stronger than he expected lol....he would have lost that one. (Nothing says street cred like getting beat up by a balding actuarial student. LMAO.)

Also got *aggressively panhandled* in chicago by a guy that just got out of prison. I was wearing a suit atm so I gave him $5. Probably would have lost that fight had it gone down, he was all prison ripped and a bit bigger than me so $5 well spent as he probably had a knife too.

It's just absolutely not worth fighting as there are just too many losers out there with knives, guns or 4 buddies waiting to jump in and fudge you up. Seen that happen at bars in college where a whole frat jumps in on 4-5 dudes....not pretty.

Oh, I did get in a scrap in my dorm but didn't hit the guy, just quickly put him in a submission hold and he left me alone after that.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:01 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Once when I was playing in rock bands we played at a bar in Kellogg, Idaho which is a mining town in northern Idaho. I saw a woman get into a fist fight with a guy and she just beat the crap out of him. He didn't actually punch her but just tried to shove her away but she did punch him and kick him. I felt sorry for the guy. The woman just seemed like a low life and quite a few people were laughing about it but I sure didn't and I couldn't wait to get out of that dump.
The woman that attacked me was just that sort of woman. She was no stranger to the police in our little town. Sadly, her behavior was no surprise for most of the others at the bar. The difference was, I was not a frequenter of drinking establishments and was unfamiliar with her behavior.

It was not until later that I was privy to the fact that she was court ordered to be on antibuse FOR such behavior. Unfortunately, the stuff doesn't work unless the person takes it. The bartender's statement said she had served her several Rum & Cokes. I had been drinking nothing but ice water & cranberry juice. We had simply gone out to dance.

This was 22 years ago and it breaks my heart to think that it took the bystanders and management such a long time to drag her out and lock the door. I still remember it like it was yesterday. It was as if they were thrilled to finally see her jump "the WRONG person" and were intent on her receiving as much "vigilante justice" as could be inflicted on her. Me? I was simply an innocent bystander who was defending herself. Sadly, I am still haunted by the photographs the police chief showed me of her face, two days later, when I went down to turn in my stack of statements.

He asked me if I was hurt and I showed him my right hand. I missed 3 days of work, due to the swelling in my hand and the lacerations on my knuckles from her teeth. It was not a good time, nor do I feel any pleasure from it...only shame to have been involved in a physical fight...yes, in public no less. How barbaric.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:23 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Several.

Last one... nother Marine kept putting his foot on my pillow to climb onto his (Top) rack.

I asked him a couple times to stop, then when he didn't...

Next time he did it I grabbed his foot and pulled.

We fought till nether one of us could move anymore.

That was the first time anyone ever REALLY tried to gouge out my eyes.

It's interesting.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:38 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Also got *aggressively panhandled* in chicago by a guy that just got out of prison. I was wearing a suit atm so I gave him $5. Probably would have lost that fight had it gone down, he was all prison ripped and a bit bigger than me so $5 well spent as he probably had a knife too.
When I was 23 and working very unusual hours in the East Texas oilfields I had a similar experience.

I pulled into a filling station to fuel my tech van at about 3:00 AM on the way to a job. On my way into the store a barefoot guy wearing board shorts, an unbuttoned flanel shirt, smelling like he needed a shower and presenting with an unfortunate case of meth-face asked to use my cell-phone in an inappropriately familiar way with his hands in his pockets. If you've never been to East Texas, a tweaker that wants to use your cell phone at 3:00 AM in a gas station parking lot way out in God forsaken banjo country is almost certainly up to no good. I didn't like it and told him I didn't have my phone with me. He responded in a very confrontational manner that he had seen me on the phone as I pulled into the lot and removed his left hand from his pocket. At that point I started moving towards the store keeping my shoulders towards him and quietly made up my mind that if he got close enough I was going to hit him as hard as I could until he fell and skeedaddle. I was quite a bit taller and heavier than him, but a tweaker doesn't have to be very big to open an artery with a knife. He followed me for a couple of steps, I assume waiting for me to show him my back, then called me a "chickensh** d*ckhead" and walked out of the parking lot. That's about as close as I've come to a real fight with another adult where I was completely disinterested in my antagonist's health and well-being and was willing to hurt him very badly or kill him to avoid any breech in my skin. It's a very different feeling from just having a "dominance" fight.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:39 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
No, not yet anyway!

Old 07-26-2011, 02:44 PM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Nope, not me, but I did break a fight up once. I'm not the fighting type and now at 62 yrs old and with a hip replacement and rotator cuff surgery behind me, there's no way my body could handle it. A true fight would most likely would kill me! I never hung around people who a "fighting" thing about them. Just not the kind of personality I'd chose to be around.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:58 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Also in the East Texas oilfields: I went to a club in Longview called "Graham Central" with some of the guys on the crew. One ole' boy (hereafter, "Timmy") went to the bar to get a drink and one of the gals made eyes at him. He bought her a drink and introduced himself. As it turns out, this gal is there with her lesbian partner and they are having some kind of fight so she is doing this to p*ss off her old lady. The old lady returns from the restroom to find Timmy getting sweet on her girlfriend and flips out. She calls her girlfriend a ****, a b*tch and so-on before turning her vitriol to Timmy. He tries to wash his hands of the situation and return to the table because he knows that his buddies are watching him and he's never going to hear the end of it. As he turns away from her, she pushes him in the back and he falls over a barstool. Music stops, bouncers come running, all eyes on Timmy. Timmy, in so many words, asks if she may, indeed, be crazy and exactly what it is that has caused her such consternation. She throws a drink in his face and scratches a nice gouge across his cheek. Timmy is mad as hell and wants revenge, but gets dragged away by co-workers and bouncers swearing fluently the whole way. He's ejected from the club and co-workers attempt to talk him down while he sits on the hood of his car with a napkin held against his cheek. Concurrently, the lesbian is invited to leave along with her date. As they walk through the parking lot Timmy can't resist the urge to utter a slur (wasn't even that bad, more juvenile than hateful) and the lesbian can't resist the urge to not let it slide. She walks calmly across the parking lot, grabs Timmy by the lower lip and pulls. Timmy cold-***** her, hit her as though she were a man. She's out before she hits the ground.

I NEVER went out with any member of a rig, cement or frac crew ever again.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:05 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,471,479 times
No. I will always avoid a fight if that's possible, and so far it has always been possible since my early teens. If forced/no alternative, I will, and I have enough training that I am confident I'd do fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships