Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 08:56 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times

Advertisements

Ok, here we go:

1. Do you want the "intellectual" type that loves to read books, collect things, go to an Opry or the Symphony? Go to "white-tie" affairs?
2. Do you want the "outdoor" type that loves camping, fishing, hunting, target shooting, boating.......the kind that would love going to Bass Pro to shop?
3. Do you want the "sports" type who would watch NFL or College football, Baseball, Golf, NASCAR and knows what's going on? How about the "athletic" type who likes to play a sport (non-pro).
4. Do you want a person who loves music and can dance?
5. How about a person who loves to cook?
If you have more "intersts" you look for, please list them.

For me, I met my match after years upon years of looking.......and I was 49 yrs old when I finally did. She's one year older than me, isn't "intellectual" for-to-say, but has an impressive job resume. She is an "outdoor" gal and likes boating and target shooting. She's really good with a handgun and rifle. When she met me, I was a rodeo cowboy (team roping) and she loved rodeo (thank God). Not into camping anymore (we're too old/and too much labor). Bass Pro is one of her favorite stores. She loves watching NFL football on tv and knows as much, if not more than I do about it. Also likes watching golf and NASCAR. She loves Motown (being from the Detroit area) and Oldies and can still dance some. I do 90% of the cooking, but her spagetti, potato salad, BLT's and Patty Melts are to die for! She's also a Christian.
And, need add these important words.........we are married!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 09:00 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,833,752 times
opera, not Opry. And congratulations on your lovely marriage!

And as for your question, I guess I'm looking for any combination of the above who is trustworthy, genuine, honest, kind, and interested in me.. That would be a good interest to have and kind of crucial to the game regardless of the other interests haha

Old 07-28-2011, 09:01 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
I have more interest in a well-rounded person than a person with just one specific interest.

I like to read, but I love the outdoors too. I enjoy sports and I really love to cook. Of course I love music too...always have something on.
Forgot to add, I'm married but if I were single I'd be looking for someone that has a multitude of interests.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:11 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
How about an intellectual/artsy/athletic/fashionista/sexy type. People can be combination of many things. Ive always dated the intellectal/artsy/athletic/fashionista types who also happened to be physically sexy. Married one as well.

Common thought process among a lot of CD people is that if a person is one way (i.e., intellectual) then she must not be another way (i.e., sexy). In real life this is not always or even usually the case.

Again, every woman Ive dated have been this way. My wife is VERY well read, can instantly quote just about anything from classic literature, can instantly recognize and name most all classical music including the composer, is a bada$$ when it comes to yoga, ballroom dance champion, kick a$$ tennis player, speaks 4 different languages, is sexier than almost all modern actresses/models, and if you can see past the initial arrogant/bit*hyness of her personality, you'll realize that she is super sweet and more fun than all get out.

Smart, sexy, artsy, traveled, athletic, all she needs to do is become of fan of NFL football and she's perfect.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:14 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
1, a bit of 2 (mainly to get me out of the house and city and creature comforts... but not too often! A man's gotta have his A/C and electricity), pass on 3, hell yes on 4, sure on 5

If she likes cars that's a cool plus.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:27 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
For me :

No Sports Fan
No obsession of any kind , be it model aircrafts, trainspotting or bird watching. Interest is nice obession is not.
No Gym Bunnies
No Couch Potato.

Interests which I am glad Hubby and I have in common :

Travel - Absolute deal breaker for me. I could not live with someone who did not enjoy travelling.
Architecture
Archaeology/History
Fine Dining
Polo
The Theatre
The Opera
Concerts ( from Fairly heavy metal to early music)
Lectures on all kinds of subjects
The Arts and Cultural pursuits ( museums, art galleries etc...)
Photography
Wildlife Watching ( Note interest not obsession)
Sailing
Archery
Indie and Foreign Films
Current Affairs
Reading
Politics
Nature ( being disabled means I can't enjoy it as much as I used to but I still try my best)
Various Charities -We both volunteer

He is far more sociable and gregarious than I am but apart from that we really are pretty similar in terms of likes/dislikes, ideals and goals in life.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:31 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,986,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Ok, here we go:

1. Do you want the "intellectual" type that loves to read books, collect things, go to an Opry or the Symphony? Go to "white-tie" affairs?
2. Do you want the "outdoor" type that loves camping, fishing, hunting, target shooting, boating.......the kind that would love going to Bass Pro to shop?
3. Do you want the "sports" type who would watch NFL or College football, Baseball, Golf, NASCAR and knows what's going on? How about the "athletic" type who likes to play a sport (non-pro).
4. Do you want a person who loves music and can dance?
5. How about a person who loves to cook?
If you have more "intersts" you look for, please list them.
I usually eliminate potentials based on absolute deal breakers. For example, Homophobes are a no go. Celibacy until marriage is a no go, and so on and so forth.

Once the absolutes are sorted out, then any other personality trait is fair game, and my taste becomes quite flexible. A well-rounded woman has her perks, but even those with specific isolating interests can equally satisfy me, and have.

Long story short, I'm not too sure about what I like, but I know what I hate.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:51 AM

19,696 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Guys into:

music, art, food, philosophy, physical activity, looking good, as well as laughing and sh-- talking. respectful of nature and animals, beer connoisseur and fantastic lover.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:16 AM

75 posts, read 290,248 times
I like the categories of the OP. I think it is possible to have a little of all categories. When my husband and I first met, we didn't enjoy a lot of the same things. Eventually, we grew to like the interests of one another with the exception of sports.

I knew whoever I decided to spend my life with had to like children, fine dining, traveling, theatre, and socializing. A home body would not have worked for me.

Also, as we continue to grow as a couple, our likes and dislikes occasionally changes.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:24 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,647,683 times
Congrats, OP!

I like a mix. I myself am a bit rounded in interests so I would want the same thing.
I think I would want someone who's interested in:
Scriptures (and believes in them too)
The beach
Travel
Politics
Cooking
Go-karting
Shooting
Action movies
Waiting until marriage (like me)
In being CF just had to add that one.

I wouldn't mind other interests, but those are the basics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships